Acronym06/07

Felix

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so has Acronym always been this insanely expensive winter wear company? were the roots based on snowboarding shit? I know idiom is, but Acronym stuff is just so ridiculously expensive (both are) and I'm just curious how well they actually do stand up to the elements. Like if I got a jacket, it would be the most expensive how much did your clothes cost day for me ever...

either way i'm fairly indifferent as i don't think i'd wear shit that expensive to the slopes.

That GT-J11 Jacket is amazing. I love how you can wear like a blazer, or a non-collared jacket, or a hooded jacket. Very creative. Too bad all the stuff seems to be M+.

if i remember correctly, a few ppl said that the gear was quite fitted, maybe smaller than tag size, so a medium might fit a usual small. at that price though, i would prefer to try it before buying...

anyway, too much stuff i'd like to buy, i just don't want to think about it....

You can get it at Firmament in Berlin, and it costs exactly the same as at the Glade.

DJ Flame: the cashmere/gore-tex shell is unique to Acr, but the cotton/gore-tex is a standard, I think. I have a 5 year-old prada jacket made of a similar material.

As far as the fit, the GT-J11 is slim-fitting (I usually wear an M, and I'm skinny with broad shoulders, and it was a perfect fit) but the shell jackets are a wider cut, because they're meant to be layered.

From my experience, ACR really holds up amazingly under the elements. I have skied in one of their cashmere gore tex pieces and it is far and away my favorite ski jacket yet. As quality functional outerwear goes, it definitely is worth the money, and is not significantly higher priced than other labels offering similar quality. Would I spend the dough if I wasn't an avid skier? probably not...as their stuff offers a level of functionality that would be almost superfluous if I just wore it to class/work. As to sizing, I would say they run pretty true to size, although I can't attest as to the current season...

From my experience, ACR really holds up amazingly under the elements. I have skied in one of their cashmere gore tex pieces and it is far and away my favorite ski jacket yet. As quality functional outerwear goes, it definitely is worth the money, and is not significantly higher priced than other labels offering similar quality. Would I spend the dough if I wasn't an avid skier? probably not...as their stuff offers a level of functionality that would be almost superfluous if I just wore it to class/work. As to sizing, I would say they run pretty true to size, although I can't attest as to the current season...

thats good to hear then. If i ever hit the lotto and heli out to chile, i'll pick up a jacket.

not really the kind of stuff i need or wear (or can afford), but this stuff is insane...and they keep taking it further. the construction and materials are completely on another level. even like just the regular grey crewneck sweatshirt...thing is sick! cool to see them messing w/polos and button-ups as well. intense. in a world gone retro it's fun to see examples of the future here today.

i agree with derdankhund- if i still did winter sports, i would've kept that cashemer goretex piece i sold. i can say it was a nice jacket, but it wasn't so much of "just fashion" piece as the sleeves were cut very wide (to accommodate for wearing layers of sweaters underneath i imagine). i think the cashmere thing was a gimmick though, as it was something like 5-10% cashmere- so it's not like it was super soft or anything (which makes sense if you're going to be falling into snow with it).

Gotta say, the stuff looks WAY better here than on the Acronym website a month or so ago. I love that "blazer" jacket.

However, the pricepoints are just nuts... I can't really understand who their target market is. The way the jackets are cut is definitely not "fashion-y", so people used to shelling out big dollars for jackets aren't going to be interested. I can't see skiiers or snowboarders being interested, because although the jackets are highly detailed and very well made, they don't really offer much in terms of weather protection that you couldn't get from a North Face or an Arcteryx jacket.

Basically their business makes no sense to me.

I half agree w Minya. As far as I can tell, all of the jackets are just shells...No lining. No good for riding/skiing.

On the other hand, I do have one of their shells from last year, which I fucking love, but I could never justify buying another one from them. It may not appeal to certain "fashion-y" people, but I love the cut and the quality, and it doesnt scream "$$$!" Low key.

Gotta say, the stuff looks WAY better here than on the Acronym website a month or so ago. I love that "blazer" jacket.

However, the pricepoints are just nuts... I can't really understand who their target market is. The way the jackets are cut is definitely not "fashion-y", so people used to shelling out big dollars for jackets aren't going to be interested. I can't see skiiers or snowboarders being interested, because although the jackets are highly detailed and very well made, they don't really offer much in terms of weather protection that you couldn't get from a North Face or an Arcteryx jacket.

Basically their business makes no sense to me.

i agree completely, i'm curious as to what demographic their aiming for.

Just got my GT J-11 (the blazer style) yesterday, and it fuckin' ROCKS. Definitely a new direction for ACR. Prices ARE pretty retarded, so I limit myself to one piece per season. These jackets are cut slimmer than the less "fashion" styles, so, yeah, the XL fits more like a Large, and slimmer cut through the sides.

Another amazing season.

The zip hoodies and Epic cotton jackets are going to be available at Recon SF VERY soon. Don't know if they have out them out on the floor yet.

i agree with derdankhund- if i still did winter sports, i would've kept that cashemer goretex piece i sold. i can say it was a nice jacket, but it wasn't so much of "just fashion" piece as the sleeves were cut very wide (to accommodate for wearing layers of sweaters underneath i imagine). i think the cashmere thing was a gimmick though, as it was something like 5-10% cashmere- so it's not like it was super soft or anything (which makes sense if you're going to be falling into snow with it).

actually i'd argue that (with regard to the sleeves on the J7) the extra wide cut on the sleeves are meant to be their fashion statement. it seems that they drew inspiration from chinese kungfu/japanese ninja attire. if you look at the specifications provided on the dustbag, it actually mentions some reference to chinese kungfu flick

You can get it at Firmament in Berlin, and it costs exactly the same as at the Glade.

DJ Flame: the cashmere/gore-tex shell is unique to Acr, but the cotton/gore-tex is a standard, I think. I have a 5 year-old prada jacket made of a similar material.

As far as the fit, the GT-J11 is slim-fitting (I usually wear an M, and I'm skinny with broad shoulders, and it was a perfect fit) but the shell jackets are a wider cut, because they're meant to be layered.

Steph... sounds like we share the same frame. What size coat/blazer do you normally wear?

as an aside on Cashmere/Gore-tex, I don't think Acronym has exclusive rights on that material. They may have their own proprietary blend, but I think Prada has used a similar material for some of their skiwear in the past, and I have a pair of Maharishi snowpants made out of cashmere/gore-tex...hell of comfy but I haven't had the heart to beat them up on the slopes just yet...

all this talk on acronym has got me all pumped...must show restraint...I don't NEED the new softshell...or maybe i do...