Book Recommendations

thelion1856

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vurt and Needle In The Groove by Jeff Noon

Thin Skin and Cherries In The Snow by Emma Forrest (don't know if many men would like these though, or well-adjusted girls)

Paradise Lost

Hallucinating Foucault by Patricia Duncker

Anything by Foucault, Sartre or Barthes.

The Iliad and The Odyssey by Homer.

Chekhov's short stories.

Any of Shakespeare's plays.

I could go on and on, really.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

0618001905liu2.jpg

King Leopold's Ghost by Adam Hochschild

Discusses the humanitarian crisis of the Belgian Congo in the late 19th century and pre-WW1 20th century. I suggest reading Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad, first, to provide a short but direct point of reference for the setting of King Leopold's Ghost, which is a bit more autobiographical in nature.

I would suggest this simply because it's a topic a lot of people simply have no awareness of or familiarity with, and it's still relevant today, because the African continent is still in a horrible state. It wasn't even until 1984 that Belgium made public the few remaining documents it had on the atrocities of the early colonial era. This alone says a lot about why Africa, especially the central region, continues to be in the state that it's in, and the book itself offers substantially more perspective.

• 2 weeks later...

theres no point reading two palaniuk books. unless you read one the get amnesia, then read another. they are all the same book. read one, itll blow your mind, then move onto a more diverse author.

check these:

fortress of solitude - jonathen letham

cosmopolis - don delillo

glamorama - brett easton ellis

angry black whiteboy - adam mansbauch

Needle In The Groove or Vurt by Jeff Noon, I actually want to bear his offspring.

although, his stuff has less of an impact on people who're unfamiliar with drug culture, or so I'm told. kind of like A Scanner Darkly, but English.

I'd say Rules of Attraction or Less Than Zero are good places to start with Ellis.