Denime

my apologies if this has been discussed before but what are the differences between the 66XX and the regular 66 model aside from the obvious price difference? Is the budget model fabricated in China or with Chinese denim?

yes...lack of hidden rivets, paper patch and less selvage used.

but slab's question was about the price difference between the 66 and 66XX. and this, to my knowledge, and how it certainly was with Orizzonti and Shins: different denim used

asking those Japanese brands about what tehy use and where they source it from, seldom leads to satisfying answers

Have to agree with hoggreaser

The terms 'better' and also 'quality' are such subjective words.

Denime had some standard models, being the 66 (around 16,000 Yen) and the XX and 66XX (25,200 Yen) , the Kyoto and Tokyo (which you could only buy in the official shops in said city) and then some releases every now and then. That was under Shins. Under Orizzonti, Denime produced a lot of jeans which are hard to follow up. To less information.

The 'New XX' was introduced shortly after McCoys took over Denime and they scared the old Denime-lovers away because it gave the feeling, everything will change now (to the worse). The 'New XX' uses a different, more modern fit and lighter weight denim than the original XX jeans from Denime. They also introduced a ‘new 66’ cut, modified the old one but letting the old regular 66 cut in the line-up. Talk about confusion! They stopped making the XX and 66XX.

The XX was brought back by the new owner of Denime in 2011 IIRC, with mostly identical details and also a denim that should be like the old one. Over 2 years after the takeover, they finally re-introduced the famous 66XX, which is one of the favorite jeans of Denime here on Sufu.

And to hoggreaser: it’s hard to really get an answer that will satisfy you. They are mostly very quiet when it gets to such details. The XX denim should be a tad heavier, dyed and woven differently and is supposed to be “better†;)

muchos gracias guys; I still feel sad I didnt jump on the 66XX competition back in the days; it seems i have another shot at redemption with the current line-up

http://www.denime.jp/shop/item/index?category_id=1

Just to make sure I'm clear on all the Denime '66s... The '66 Real Basic is a proper '66 501 in a lower cost denim. The 1966 is a stylized '66 501 cut with a lower waist and narrower leg. And the 66XX is the top of the line denim in a proper '66 501 cut (though the '66XX fits a little smaller than the '66 Real Basic, correct?). And the model hoggreaser got was the raw '66 Real Basic? thanks.

I still haven't bought a pair under McCoy's, and I've been told that they're lighter in color, but even after a few washes my Shins 66xx are darker than my unwashed 660's (just to give everyone an idea). I have no doubt that McCoy is doing Denime justice though, and Denime still has one of the best patches in the game.

@setterman: yeah I think you nailed it. Although the 66XX has a rather low rise IMO for a 66 cut. The old 66XX had a higher rise. But the 66XX isn't that oversized in the waist like the other 2 models

edit: just to add: I'm sure you won't like the fit of the 66XX, Michael. But the XX could be something for you :)

Edited by beautiful_FrEaK

Maybe it’s basic in terms of ‘always available and our back bone’..who knows.

Yes, Naoki abandonded Denime after the take over from Real McCoys as he wasn’t pleased with the quality and fits, IIRC. But at that time, the XX and 66XX weren’t available so he only saw the ‘new 66’ and ‘new XX’, I assume. Don’t know what he thinks about those now..or if other factors lead him to drop Denime. Just like BiG did.

The XX (50100095) is a ’40-‘50s cut so higher rise, more room in the seat and legs is what they should look like. AND-Japan offers also Denime with free-shipping…ahem ahem… ;)

I would compare my old 66XX with my new one but I gave them to a friend to wear them. But the old one had a 5 button fly whereas the new one only has 4…so that’s also a clear sign of lower rise on the new 66XX to me.

@setterman: yeah I think you nailed it. Although the 66XX has a rather low rise IMO for a 66 cut. The old 66XX had a higher rise. But the 66XX isn't that oversized in the waist like the other 2 models

edit: just to add: I'm sure you won't like the fit of the 66XX, Michael. But the XX could be something for you :)

Thanks! The size 36 66XX is too small for me most likely, but it looks like the size 36 '66 Real Basic or XX would work. It's gotten to wear most of my jeans are too baggy or big in the waist on me (had to tighten the cinch more on my Warehouse 700s this morning), so I'm thinking of looking for a '66 repro come spring. Looking at Eternal 811, Denime 66, and Warehouse 1100.

thanks for the heads up on the 811. Looking at the one wash size 38 811s (one standard inseam, the other longer) on BiG, and the standard one is showing a thigh of 13.75", same as my Warehouse 700s, the other 13.25", same as my LVC 66s, so if I get either, I should be okay fit wise. Even if it's not a true '66 cut, it's one of the jeans on my radar when looking for a slimmer cut. The Denime '66 and Warehouse 1100 are what really have my attention though. Will wait until after Viva Las Vegas (Easter) before considering dropping any dough.