LL Bean, Bean Boots

Salad

With the advent of wet weather looming in the not so distant future, my thoughts have turned to waterproof footwear. Over the years my staples have been the Blundstone 500 boot (brown) and the Timberland 3-eyelet hand-sewn lug sole moc (oxblood).

I need to add something new to the repertoire. I’m thinking about getting a pair of L.L. Bean, Bean Boots, specifically the Rubber Moc.

Does anyone own these? I’m also curious about what you all think about the over-all shape of the shoe. Moc vs. Boot?

Thanks.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not sure if you saw this, but theres a little article pushing these boots in the mens fall fashion issue of the new york times style magazine...

American Brandstand

By ROSECRANS BALDWIN

In 1911, the L.L. Bean duck boot was designed to withstand weeklong hunting trips in the Maine woods. Over the century it’s held up just as well against New Haven tailgate parties and snowy slogs to the Westport station. But the tabletops of Bungalow 8?

“I love those boots,” says the designer and nightclub habitué Lazaro Hernandez, who had his Bean Boots refurbished after two years of everyday use. Hernandez, half of the fashion wonder team Proenza Schouler, insists, “All my friends have been copying me.”

Dig out your tote bags: fashion’s true believers, arguably the least authentic humans on the planet, are clamoring for the “real” America. Trend-deaf homegrown brands, whether fancy or just plain homely, have never been hipper. Will downtown Manhattan start looking like Martha’s Vineyard? “I look at old images of Bill Blass with his duck shoes and a cable-knit V-neck sweater and, like, a pipe in his library — it’s amazing,” Hernandez says. “It’s like wearing your grandfather’s clothes. It feels cool.”

Cool to be a part of the Kennebunkport clan? Well, yes. Fashion folks have always dressed way left of the Republican Party — they were the ones wearing Dr. Martens in high school, sneering at the preppies with their starched collars and sweater vests — but now the uniform of future bankers and country-club members has a certain cachet. Even to the former club kid. “Woody Allen is better-looking than any young guy I’ve ever seen,” says Andy Spade, the designer of Jack Spade. Though Allen’s family tree is more shtetl than Mayflower, his rumpled, tweedy look has inspired the mackintoshes and doctor’s bags at the Jack Spade shop in SoHo. The store, which also offers accessories like first editions of “The Catcher in the Rye” and “A Separate Peace,” is an homage to utilitarian 1950’s American classics. It’s hard to believe that Spade didn’t start manufacturing 60 years ago and simply mothball his stock until the fashion cycle spun its way back. “Everything,” Spade says, “comes down to the real McCoy.”

Which is why forward-thinking European designers have been brushing up on their Americana. Not that the modernist, high-tech designs of Prada or Giorgio Armani are out of fashion, but neither can they compete with the rugged charm of C.C. Filson (formerly C.C. Filson’s Pioneer Alaska Clothing and Blanket Manufacturers). Back in 1897, when Filson began, the company catered to the needs of Yukon gold seekers, hunters and explorers. Filson’s current customers are still apt to brag about surviving bear attacks. But these days its handsome canvas luggage — both rugged and professorial in the Indiana Jones vein — is used more often for toting home wild-boar sausage from the Greenmarket.

“We are not a fashion company,” insists the chief executive, Doug Williams. Filson may be as concentrated on function as its wool vests suggest, but Williams reveals that the top ZIP code for catalog deliveries isn’t grizzly country — it’s Manhattan. (In other wool-vest news, Woolrich, the 176-year-old Pennsylvania company that once bundled up frontiersmen and today supplies fabric for Civil War re-enactors’ uniforms, did a brisk business at Bergdorf Goodman last fall.)

American designers are also looking homeward for inspiration. It was the quest for the ideal pair of chinos that lured Michael Bastian from his position as the men’s fashion director at Bergdorf Goodman to start his own namesake men’s-wear label. “Look at Frank O’Hara,” Bastian says, referring to the New York School poet and Cedar tavern regular. “You see these pictures of him, and he was so beautifully put together, very traditional, wearing old Brooks Brothers, an old rumpled-up raincoat, a perfect white oxford button-down.” In his search for paragons, Bastian recently worked with an Italian mill to produce Nantucket red pants that look as if they’ve spent 10 years fading in the sun.

There is a clear sense of nostalgia in dressing up in khakis and duck boots. It harks back to the Kennedy era and beyond, a simpler time when this country represented the American dream rather than the evil empire, a time before global warming, globalization and military quagmires. Perhaps the act of wearing “American” is, in fact, a subversive statement: dressing like the establishment helps you infiltrate the closed circles of your enemies more effectively than a nose ring.

Could preppy become the new punk? At least one stodgy label is betting on it. “The young customers we have now are, like, really hip kids,” says Mark McNairy, the new design director at J. Press, which has been dressing blue bloods since Theodore Roosevelt was in office. The company deliberately keeps its stuffy shops limited to New Haven; Cambridge, Mass.; New York; and Washington — the better to hook Ivy Leaguers on its blazers and “shaggy dog” wool sweaters before they head off to run the world. However, McNairy has decided not to ignore his more fashion-literate patrons. A recent addition to the J. Press line of icon-emblazoned neckties is one with skulls and crossbones, not a nod to Yale’s secret society but a wink to the new customer who has a closet full of ironic T-shirts.

• 11 months later...

Huh, thats odd, looks like mine are no longer being made? They are "Loungers" no laces, just a leather strap at the base. I might get another pair this winter, possibly these: http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?page=llbean-boots&categoryId=33550&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&parentCategory=501665&cat4=501662&shop_method=pp&feat=501665-tn

Found a pic of mine on ebay:

7a00_3.JPG

woah, those ones are sweet!

I bought mine at the end of spring this year and I've been very happy with them as my inclimate weather wear on the way to the office. I sized down 1, as the website suggested, and I have a bit of wiggle room near the toes but they are defintely wearable. I figured that I might end wearing these with thicker socks in the winter so I've decided to stick with them.

I wouldn't be discouraged by the fact that Proenza Schuler (or whatever) wear them... it's not like I've seen them flooding the streets here in NYC.

jubei, which style did you get?

do you like them, or wear the mostly in rain because you "must"... reason Im asking is that my girlfriend just looked over myshoulder and said "damn, those are ugly.. dont you see theyre crocs with leather shafts" :D

one size down from sneaker size still gives wiggleroom? sounds good.

Bobo:

I got these boots:

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?page=llbean-boots&categoryId=31178&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&parentCategory=7403&cat4=2111&shop_method=pp&feat=7403-tn

mainly because I wanted something I could slip on and off easily, while at the same time keeping my ankles dry. I will say this about the fit: while there is wiggle room width wise, there's not as much give height wise because of the rubber toe (if that makes sense) The rubber toe is molded to give it some flexibility when you're walking, but they're definitely not sneakers.

As for your gf's tastes: I think the "ugliness" is part of the charm of these boots. I've noticed from your WAYWT pics that you like that turn of the century work wear look, so I think these might be a good fit for you. The design is so utilitarian and straight forward that I find it charming (the same way I find buckleback jeans and "grandpa" sweaters charming)

edit: My gf thinks they're funny, but indulges me :) she has much the same attitude about my denim hobby

thanks for the info!

what width did you get btw?

I totally agree about the look. They are "ugly" and quirky, but still classic and wearable. I do think that theyll would fit my "look", since I try to make it a little funny aswell (as opposed to straight repro/vintage). And they would look good with my lvc bucklebacks and heavy grandpa knits :D Charming must be my middle name.

HAHA, Bobo, I definitely think these would fit your style. I don't really think of them as ugly, more quirky, not made to look good, made to keep your feet from getting wet, forever. These are a staple where I grew up in New England lots of people have them. I think Bean is sort of like a cult, once you get their stuff and see how durable it is and how great the customer service is, you just keep buying. It is like Jubei put it, Grandpa style, always a bit bland, never sleek...my Grandfather loves LLBean.

As for the sizing, I agree with Jubei, mine were a bit roomy 1 size down and since they had no laces I went 2 down just to be sure. I think if you went 1 down with thick socks they would be perfect.

thanks for the info!

what width did you get btw?

I don't remember specifying a width, so I probably just got the regular width, which is fine for my purposes. I have pretty narrow feet, but I'm sure these would fit fine if you normally took a normal foot width in most shoes.

And yes, I have rocked these with my duckdiggers and a sweater before... it made me feel ready for blustery autumn days (even though it was technically spring :) )

it's funny... I used to hate LL Bean growing because it was all around me (I grew up in New England) but now that I'm older, I see the charm and value in the company (and other outdoor wear companies, like Filson)

Incidentally, the Japanese magazine Free and Easy goes wild for stuff like this (I believe the look is called "Amerikaji") The past few issues have been focusing on the ivy league look, circa 20's-40's (i.e. cardigans, bow ties, washed oxfords, navy blue blazers, and of course selvage denim) which I've started to come around to

Would you say that LL bean is a part of the ivy/preppy thing as that article above in this thread seems to suggest, or more classic outdoors? Has Free and Easy done any issues around outdoor/hunter wear?

I can see what you mean with disliking it when its all around you.. personally im really evious of you americans that have brands like bean, filson and orvis that makes classic and quality clothes to fair prices. I have a feeling id be decked out from head to toe in stuff like this if in the US :)

I'd say there's a fair amount of overlap, as the boots were probably adopted by ivy leaguers back in the day (which laos probably contributed to their popularity) I think they were originally designed for hunting in shallow marshes, though.

Free and Easy dedicates a portion of almost every issue to some sort of Amerikaji gear, though some issues are more about hunting wear/outdoorswear than others. I ony pick it up every few months because it can get a little repetitive at times (sometimes, you'll even see the same exact pieces between months!)

It's funny that you mention Orvis, because Orvis, Alden (which is another brand Free and Easy goes bananas for) and the Japanese bookstore where I buy Free and Easy are within a few blocks of my work at NYC... every now and then I'll see some Japanese tourists persuing the wares at both of those stores (I stop in from time to time as well...)

OT at this point but whatevs: Abercrombie kind of started out as a company that was updating this type of stuff for modern use (until it got reappropriated by frat boys around the US) I still pick up the occassional piece on sale, provided it is devoid of conspicuous branding because their shirt fabrics are pretty darn thick.

Ha yea I was just actually seeing the LL Beans mentioned in some recent GQ web article for the Looks of Fall '07 (probably in one of the latest issues of the magazine as well)...like so (click on it and look through...the LL Beans are on Page 21).

They show the ones I kinda fancy...these (the shearling lining makes me feel all nice like...plus I'm dreaming about the indigo stains along the fuzzy clouds that hug my ankles). I think I would rock 'em with some tapered denim and I would like to have some of the shearling'ness exposed (don't know exactly how it would turn out though). I may just order these sometime soon and test it out.

I almost pulled the trigger on some bean boots last year, and kind of regret I didn't. All the boots now have brown rubber--didn't they used to have blue or green? Or was that only ladies'? My gf wears them all the time, but hers are ooooooold.

I'd get a pair, just cuz they're cheap and functional, but I have (almost) enough boots.

Bobo, if you want to know who the crowd is, watch "Best in Show"--the Parker Posey and husband character are supposed to be head-to-toe LL Bean, but that was more an 80s yuppie thing. I mostly associate Bean with my parents. Unfortunately, I think most of their products are made in China, etc. these days.

if you want to know who the crowd is, watch "Best in Show"--the Parker Posey and husband character are supposed to be head-to-toe LL Bean, but that was more an 80s yuppie thing. I mostly associate Bean with my parents.

Absolute hilarity. That movie made my 3 hour bus ride way easier last month.

Unfortunately, I think most of their products are made in China, etc. these days.

Eh, I don't know about most, but they have become too big to make all of their stuff in Maine anymore:

Manufacturing

Continuing the tradition, L.L.Bean still manufactures old favorites such as Bean Boots by L.L.Bean® and the Boat and Tote® Bag, as well as newer items including fleece products and dog beds. The L.L.Bean manufacturing facility, located in Brunswick, Maine, employs more than 300 people. Over 400 products are manufactured at this facility.

L.L.Bean is a leader in the manufacturing industry with regard to product quality, ergonomics and health and safety programs. The facility has received the Margaret Chase Smith Quality Award for its commitment to quality. In 2004, the L.L.Bean manufacturing received high praise from the Occupational Safety & Health Administration (OSHA) for facility safety, including strong employee involvement and managements' ergonomic focus.

Company president Chris McCormick remains committed to preserving the company's manufacturing foundation. He said, "Manufacturing is where L.L.Bean started, and our people take great pride in continuing this tradition, using the finest materials along with years of experience in quality craftsmanship."

Though everything is 100% guaranteed so I guess that's the trade...

Guaranteed. You Have Our Word.

Our products are guaranteed to give 100% satisfaction in every way. Return anything purchased from us at any time if it proves otherwise. We do not want you to have anything from L.L.Bean that is not completely satisfactory.

they sure are, but the laced ones are great aswell:) I wonder how big the risk of custom fees is if I order from the llbean webstore... could pickup some great shirts aswell, like this http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?page=maine-guide-shirt&categoryId=23238&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&parentCategory=3502&cat4=6416&shop_method=pp&feat=3502-tn .

Damn customs! If we´re living in the capitalist world, why not free international trade?

same with me in canada man ..

fortunatly I live in the semi-country and everyone wears this kind of shit to some degree or another so it's easily found

could take on anything in these and they look sooo comfy

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?categoryId=43351&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&feat=52279-ppxs&dds=y

• 4 weeks later...

I got my http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?page=bison-bean-boot&categoryId=52279&parentCategory=501859&cat4=9906&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&feat=9906-sub2 Bison boots today.

Thanks to the sizing info in this thread and on the site, they fit pretty much perfect! They look surprisingly good on the feet aswell. Super stiff leather though, needs some serious breaking in.

Im a 11 EE in red wings and went with a 11 W in LL Bean boots. 12 in nikes.