___ METAL SAVED MY LIFE!

hamburglar

fuck, i just realized that there already is a metal thread...but black metal deserves its own, so fuck you all

inspired by every other goddamn music thread on this board

i've been really into funeral doom and forest black metal recently...as well as the standard satanic shit. Nortt, Lurker of Chalice, Wolves in the Throne Room, Behexen, Locus Mortis, Nachtmystium, Oppen Gråv, and Ahab. also getting in to the USBM scene.

so what you listen to, kid

I don't listen to much current DM or BM anymore, but an album that came out this year that I can't recommend enough is dead congregation's "graves of the archangels". I guess you could call it "blackened death metal", which usually never works out very well, but this is a seriously evil recording. One of the most solid recent DM releases I know of, along with the last kaamos stuff.

• 2 months later...

figured it would make sense to bump this cuz 2008 had a few fucking slayin usbm releases ie Nachtmystium, Leviathan, Krallice and those are just the big ones

also the new darkthrone just a total riff fest

I dun listen to much death metal but dead congregation and arghoslent were super good

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

just listened to abruptum's evil genius album... bumping this.

summer 09 needs cold evil winterkriieg shyt... who cares bout dat hipster electro

ALSO

really digging a band called Vomit ... check out "still rotting" ... it's more like blackened death, but i'm loving the raw intensity

A friend of mine just introduced me to Satyricon. She let me borrow the albums Now, Diabolical and Volcano. Now, Diabolical is way better than Volcano; "The Pentagram Burns" probably has one of the best riffs i've ever heard.

• 1 month later...

This thread died. Just stumbled upon this band called "no man's slave" give ya 3 guesses on what they sound like. Also hatred surge is fucking ill. And on the slower side, the new yon makes me want to punch babies, and most of the shit coming from aurora borealis records blows my mind as well

best fastcore:

Lärm

the only powerviolence band:

Man is the Bastard

Most new bands suck, Scapegoat is a pretty much a Crossed Out clone band, pretty good

wtJEeIzswZg

rRkf_vZGVe8

only powerviolence band? that my friend, if there had to be only one, would be spazz. no joke.

la revancha was the only good stuff imo

crush kill destroy is whateva

sorry, i only recognize MITB...

everything else is just "fastcore" or shitty re-hash... too many infest clones nowadayz

so like, are they touring again under "bastard noise" or what, someone update me on news...

MITB, spazz, infest, crossed out... etc like pioneers in the subgender.

i agree that most of newer shit sounds like faded copies, but first of all, i think part of what made those bands what they are is partly the sound of the time, without it, it feels like everything is too clean, or a too modern attemp. and also, the subgender is so small that it's hard to remain in it and be really original and genuine.

sticking to the oldiers ain't bad... i liked the ceremony ep a lot. full release ain't bad but i think it's too long and is redundant after some.

• 4 weeks later...

The 90's ruled for PV. Fuck the bull...many many ill bands. I don't know how one could say MITB is the ONLY worthy powerviolence band.

Two comps that are essential...Reality series and Cry Now, Cry Later Vols. 1-4. Those pretty much sum up this thread.

I've been on a heavy Spazz kick recently...and Despise You is also a favorite of the 90's bands. Another great comp I've been throwing on recently is Possessed To Skate. Charles Bronson, Spazz, Asshole Parade, Despise You...not to mention Palatka to shake things up with some chaos.

I agree on the influx of new re-hashy bands...but of the new shit, I definitely dig Mind Eraser, Iron Lung, and Hatred Surge...maybe something like Weekend Nachos... but the rest, after having listened to again/over time just becomes stale (too much Crossed Out worship).

I agree, the Ceremony EP was the best shit they put out to me...the full-lengths ARE definitely redundant (every song containing the words "fucking" and "hate"...it gets a little parody-worthy after a minute). Dunno if I'd consider them PV anyways.

• 2 months later...

xasthur? nortt? nachtmystium? idk you've probably heard them all before...

'ooh there's also slave whipping blasphemy if you can deal with the over-the-top nsbm gimmick

i've been listening to mostly atmospheric black metal when i get into a metal mood

C8EdHK9BilM

skVTBI1jTxc

on a real note FAUNA from washington state are one of the more impressive new usbm bands that ive heard. two albums that i have, each only one song, each over 60 minutes in length. hypnotizing furious lo fi black metal, with doom and folk parts, very enjoyable

anybody seen until the light takes us? i need to so bad, probably will within the first week of getting to LA,