Post Your Creations (pics, artwork, media, design...)

Whodinihimself

Frankly you sound like Eric Glenny right there.

If you ever have a galleryshow, do you plan on standing next to the work to blab on about it to everyone who is or isn't interested.

Unless you are trying to come up with something where text and image make up the work, I highly suggest to keep the artschool craptalk to yourself as RFKorp said...

OK. that just made me dislike you even more.

If all you had posted was the image, title, and medium. I would have been +repping you. But instead you had to go off on this dumb new-age talking about the meaning of your work crap. And then think we're gonna bother to finish "build[ing] the house"? Nuh uh.

Good art stands on its own. Only bad art needs that kind of bullshit artschool justification.

Edit: this is not to say art can't have deeply personal meaning. Just learn when keep it to yourself sometimes.

Wonderful. ;)

that said, i think most artist statements are bullshit generated to appease the gallery set or blow-up an aura around an artist to sell art. i'm sure there are artists out there that take themselves serious in that way or find it a required part of their art to explain it in some vague, sensationalist, boring babble, but like me, i'm sure a lot are like "i wanted to experiment and work in (insert medium), so i made this because its fucking cool and interesting to look at. i also enjoyed the process."

That's great (for you).

Frankly you sound like Eric Glenny right there.

If you ever have a galleryshow, do you plan on standing next to the work to blab on about it to everyone who is or isn't interested.

Unless you are trying to come up with something where text and image make up the work, I highly suggest to keep the artschool craptalk to yourself as RFKorp said...

Haha, art school crap talk. Never went to art school, I'm entirely self taught. I'm still trying to find out when I went into this long-winded description about what the painting actually means, since I'm being accused of it so ravenously. Either way, I appreciate the responses.

that said, i think most artist statements are bullshit generated to appease the gallery set or blow-up an aura around an artist to sell art. i'm sure there are artists out there that take themselves serious in that way or find it a required part of their art to explain it in some vague, sensationalist, boring babble, but like me, i'm sure a lot are like "i wanted to experiment and work in (insert medium), so i made this because its fucking cool and interesting to look at. i also enjoyed the process."

i'm just going to edit after actually reading your post here: if you create art looking for other people to "build the house," you're looking for people to try to interpret your work, coming up with often irrational and assumed looks into your work. your painting isn't interactive, so what does this "building" do for you? it creates some bullshit story to support your painting, which it shouldn't need in the first place to be good art.

personally, i often find that offensive as most people are idiots and miss the point, then feel entitled to write their analysis with their head up their ass.

on the other hand, you'll still have people that will ask questions, research and discuss with you in order to provide a 3rd party's educated insight to how a work draws from and contributes to the culture around it and the art world around it. that's when the social aspects of art gets interesting, not when some lame gallerist is pumping air up your work's ass to sell to rich socialites.

No, I create art for me first and foremost. All the extraneous opinions and interpretations is a product of what happens when you offer yourself up to the public. Only the artist is vulnerable to this because the critic never has anything to lose. Once the offer is made, there really isn't any way to avoid peoples interpretations of the work.

The funny thing is, I never talk about or explain my work in real life. I never have to. I always leave an impression. In my OP, I just wanted to put the unfinished work in context. And, Evelyn Rosenberg thinks my work is very powerful, so, thats all that matters.

BTW: Who is Eric Glenny?

rosenberg.jpg

I was fortunate enough to have a very long dinner with her last year. When she walked into the room, I couldn't quite place her face. When I did, I squealed like a girl. It took me awhile to realize that I had seen a special of hers on the Discovery Channel back when I was in middle school. I got to sit next to her, and we talked for two hours, such an amazing woman.

Haha, art school crap talk. Never went to art school, I'm entirely self taught. I'm still trying to find out when I went into this long-winded description about what the painting actually means, since I'm being accused of it so ravenously. Either way, I appreciate the responses.

it doesn't matter if you went to school or not. art school for a lot of people is just a way to legitimize what they do to their family and society before (or even if) they ever become successful in the art world. one thing art school will typically do, no matter how good or bad you are is attempt to teach you how to articulate your ideas and back up the symbolism or motive of your work. your statement didn't seem to do this, and if that simple explanation was your thesis of your impending diatribe (please do post it), i'm not sure it'll help your case.

The funny thing is, I never talk about or explain my work in real life. I never have to. I always leave an impression. In my OP, I just wanted to put the unfinished work in context. And, Evelyn Rosenberg thinks my work is very powerful, so, thats all that matters.

who cares if she likes your work? just because she's a very well known artist doesn't mean that gives you or your work credibility. this goes for anyone, not just in your case.

that aside, i love the the painting, but the statement just pulled the feeling out of it that i got before i read it.

It's a litte tough to see at these kind of resolutions but one thing I would definitely start practicing Jeep is using one line to make a line. The back-and-forth sketching around things is a good habit to break. It will help your dexterity and force your eye to determine what it is you're really trying to capture.

It's a litte tough to see at these kind of resolutions but one thing I would definitely start practicing Jeep is using one line to make a line. The back-and-forth sketching around things is a good habit to break. It will help your dexterity and force your eye to determine what it is you're really trying to capture.

The whole concept of Contour drawings, to me at least, is foreign. I never took any formal drawing course before this one and I'm actually trying to break myself of a lot of habits. Normally my drawings are very broken up and liquid rather than cogent, proportional images, so relearning to draw is coming as something of a challenge. Thanks for the comments though Servo, definitely very helpful considering how much more cohesive your drawings are than anything I'm doing right now.

drawing class, although often rough to get through, is definitely one of my favorite classes in retrospect. i learned so much about how to interpret a scene and a ton about i work and approach things.

It may be an absurd bias but it's one I'll stick to in the case of almost all art: I will be ten times more inclined to be drawn in by or "believe" your work no matter what you do, be it photography, performance art, film or something entirely conceptual as long as you can draw.

^Aww, be nice.

Also, at DUM. The last thing you should say to a faggot such as myself is "Suck my dick," because there's a very real possibility of that happening. But only if I were desperate enough, or coked out enough, or an unsavory combination of the two.

Random sketchbook images, so as not to hijack this thread:

DSC_0001-1.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_0009-4.jpg

DSC_0003-1.jpg

DSC_0005-2.jpg

DSC_0006-1.jpg

correct me if i'm wrong, but these are just downloaded PS brushes?

I created these with specifically prepared pieces of found paper and the scanner at one of my jobs. No digital editing except for adjusting the scanner settings in order to make sure the images rendered the way that I wanted them to. Sort of all about abusing glitches in the way the hardware saw things on the paper when improperly programmed.

In fact, I'm pretty sure only one of those was ever opened in PS and only to remove a small smudge that I couldn't get rid of at the scanning phase.

I created these with specifically prepared pieces of found paper and the scanner at one of my jobs. No digital editing except for adjusting the scanner settings in order to make sure the images rendered the way that I wanted them to. Sort of all about abusing glitches in the way the hardware saw things on the paper when improperly programmed.

In fact, I'm pretty sure only one of those was ever opened in PS and only to remove a small smudge that I couldn't get rid of at the scanning phase.

ah ok

reminds me a lot of an old set of brushes that everyone beasted on way back