Why are 45 rpm jeans washed?

Guest Phrost

Guest Phrost

Hi, this has been bogling my mind forever, but why are 45 rpms jeans washed? I know they recently offered a raw pair of slim Sorahikos as an online exclusive, but other than that, all of their jeans are washed. What's the deal?

Hi, this has been bogling my mind forever, but why are 45 rpms jeans washed? I know they recently offered a raw pair of slim Sorahikos as an online exclusive, but other than that, all of their jeans are washed. What's the deal?

i don't know about you, but if i were to drop $700 on a pair of Jamon's or Umi's in the raw state, I would fucking FLIP MY SHIT if shrinkage was different than what they had said it was. they say it shrinks 2" in the waist, but with past experiences with Levi's, Samuarai's, and various other STF, its all different, from season to season even. Ask anyone with the 1947's throughout the years. Thats my guess

This looks like a good spot to post the specifics of the soak of my raw Sorahikos this past weekend (thanks Rirawin- these things rule!).

I soaked them in cold water inside out for 15 minutes and hung them to dry.

These are a tagged 29 that felt about 1 size too big new.

Here are the before and after numbers:

Before - After

Waist 31 - 29.5

Rise 9 - 8.75

Inseam 37 - 35.5

Thigh 11 - 10.5

Knee 9 - 8.5

Hem 8.25 - 8.25

They shrank exactly as I hoped they would; to a very tight fit that will stretch out to perfection.

washed jeans are easier to sell in a brick/mortar in the US

yeah a bundle of unironed denim is easier to pack anyway, compared to neatly folded, pressed and starched jeans. ;)

i believe some guys have mentioned that 45rpm sees to benefit in offering raw jeans over the one-wash state? gets the shrinkage out of the way, and no colour should be lost in the process.

I think as has been mentioned, 45rpm serves a Japanese clientele of rich urban bohemian types who probably aren't as interested in selvedge denim, or raw denim for that matter, but more the look of worn-in denims and some of eco-novelties that they offer (Zimbabwean cotton, natural indigo, etc). I might even venture to guess that we're talking 30, 40-somethings. The Japanese are on the richer side the world's consumers, but the average Japanese person isn't that rich. Biting the bullet in Japan on 50,000yen Jomons there is the same as the average American trying to justify $750 Jomons in NY.

They make nice denims, but as evidenced on the board, there are tons of other nice Japan-made denims that it boggles the mind at times, and for one to breach the 30,000yen mark in Japan means getting out of the sea of raws and into quality washes, which 45rpm probably does the best....

yeah in my stint in japan, i never understood why people insisted on wanting 1947 canes raw (when they are not really available anywhere) when you're supposed to wash them before wearing anyway (which i think a lot of people don't understand). i understand the novelty of it all though, so i give them that- but i think most people just wanted raw/dry just because it was the thing to get.

buying one wash saves a lot of potential headaches in my opinion.

yeah a bundle of unironed denim is easier to pack anyway, compared to neatly folded, pressed and starched jeans. ;)

i believe some guys have mentioned that 45rpm sees to benefit in offering raw jeans over the one-wash state? gets the shrinkage out of the way, and no colour should be lost in the process.

whoa. i just re-read my post, and i realise i slipped a single letter wrong:

what i meant was, 45rpm sees NO benefit in offering raw jeans over the one-wash state? gets the shrinkage out of the way, and no colour should be lost in the process.

yeah in my stint in japan, i never understood why people insisted on wanting 1947 canes raw (when they are not really available anywhere) when you're supposed to wash them before wearing anyway (which i think a lot of people don't understand). i understand the novelty of it all though, so i give them that- but i think most people just wanted raw/dry just because it was the thing to get.

buying one wash saves a lot of potential headaches in my opinion.

i 99% agree.

Guest Phrost

The reason why I insist in raw denim is because of the texture and asthetic. With one wash denim, I feel that it takes away some of the sheen and stiffness of raw denim. I can't stand the little crinkles and ripples one wash denim has. I love the neat and tidy look of raw denim, and to keep it as long as possible before all the fading is a really big plus in my book. It's really just a control thing, imo.

they say they used to offer raw but their customers didn't buy it, didn't like the problems associated with it, etc.

not only does it not make a difference - one wash is a better place to start for practically everyone who doesn't want pre-distressed jeans

most 45rpm customers in ny are not japanese and some but not all of the workers know a lot about denim

The reason why I insist in raw denim is because of the texture and asthetic. With one wash denim, I feel that it takes away some of the sheen and stiffness of raw denim. I can't stand the little crinkles and ripples one wash denim has. I love the neat and tidy look of raw denim, and to keep it as long as possible before all the fading is a really big plus in my book. It's really just a control thing, imo.

then you must only wear sanforized denim or you never get them wet

45rpm denim shrinks from it's raw state so if a raw pair fit you they wouldn't once they were washed/you got caught in the rain/went waterskiing in them

Guest Phrost

45 rpm denim is unsanforized? From the measurements sam113 gave of his slim raw Sorahikos, they seemed to shrink very little, almost similar to most raw sanforized jeans. I just think raw denim gives you the choice to whether soak your jeans to your desired size or just wear right of the bat. I just really like the clean lines and neatness raw denim has. I guess 45 rpm's target customers aren't all ppl who are willing to soak their jeans, which I definitely understand.

45 rpm denim is unsanforized? From the measurements sam113 gave of his slim raw Sorahikos, they seemed to shrink very little, almost similar to most raw sanforized jeans. I just think raw denim gives you the choice to whether soak your jeans to your desired size or just wear right of the bat. I just really like the clean lines and neatness raw denim has. I guess 45 rpm's target customers aren't all ppl who are willing to soak their jeans, which I definitely understand.

The raw sorahiko's are 2 inches larger in the waist than their one wash counterparts, so they are definitely unsanforized.

So you wear your unsanforized jeans raw? Does that mean you either wear them WAY too big for months, or you shelve them after the first wash because they no longer fit?

Guest Phrost

No, I don't own any unsanforized jeans. What I was saying dealt with raw sanforized jeans. Anyway, don't people soak their unsanforized jeans in the tub while they're still on them to control the shrinking? I'm sure they fit afterwards then, no matter what size they are.

Well, sitting in the tub with them isn't much different than that one wash. Why bother sitting in a tub when you could just buy the correct size in store?

I do agree with you on wearing raw sanforized denim though, I think most of the people around here do that.

yeah but um.....un sanforzied denim is going to shrink in length which in turn would result in wear marks that shift up a few inches. After all that hard work it would kinda suck if yur honey combs were chillin behind your thighs right?