SC in Tokyo - alternatives to Hinoya

Paul T

I know there's a store in shinjuku that carries sugar cane. I don´t really remember the name.. But If you get out from the east exit of shinjuku station and head along the "bridge" that is up to the left you will come to a street that is called "america street" or something like that. Somewhere on that street... Sorry for that bad explanation, but if he is familiar with shinjuku I´m sure he can find it.

*edit

And there is always Bears in shimokitazawa. But it's a little bit out of the way (depending on where he lives of course)

A friend is picking up some SC1947s for me in Tokyo, or SC40501A Edo ais. But Hinoya don't have 32/32. Anyone know of alternative sources in Ueno or anywhere else? TIA.

"Junky" have sugarcane.

They have a store in Shinjuku

http://www.indigofan.com/indigofan/map_shinjuku.html

(it's the top DENIM icon)

I think they have other stores too. I'll try to find a link.

A friend is picking up some SC1947s for me in Tokyo, or SC40501A Edo ais. But Hinoya don't have 32/32. Anyone know of alternative sources in Ueno or anywhere else? TIA.

"Junky" have sugarcane.

That's the one!

"Junky" have sugarcane.

Lars, that's the store you were talking about although last time i was there, they only had shirts (maybe it's because it's summer though)

I just got back from Tokyo three weeks ago and OT&E closed down.

i went there 3 and a half weeks ago so if they really closed, it must have been right after i went. the store is kind of hard to find so are you sure it closed. and they had quite a lot of sugar canes, not as much as hinoya, but a decent stock

any idea why? bad sales, or are they reopening in another location, or some other external factor? i'd always thought denim shops like these seemed to make it against the odds.

maybe they did re-open in another location - I don't know. they were on the second floor of a corner building with an entrance on the side that wasn't well marked or advertised...easy to miss for the average shopper, but not for the vintage repro otaku, so who knows.

maybe they did re-open in another location - I don't know. they were on the second floor of a corner building with an entrance on the side that wasn't well marked or advertised...easy to miss for the average shopper, but not for the vintage repro otaku, so who knows.

Eh? You mean they were in the basement, right?

I guess another possibility is to have the Sugarcanes in 32W sent to wherever your friend is staying in Tokyo from elsewhere, like Osaka, where they might have better stocks. It's a small country -- shipping won't cost any more than ¥800 and it wouldn't take more than two days to ship.

Thanks for all your help. In the end he managed to get a pair of the 40501 Edo Ais in 31W, as long as they're not undersized I should be fine. I'll report back in a few years when they're showing signs of wear (my experience of natural indigo jeans is that normally they start to look good after approx one century at the bottom of a mine).

This is what they look like, courtesy Hinoya...

img10591748924.jpg

the store was in the basement when i was there 3 weeks ago, if they had moved, that explains why tony_hige thought the store closed

That's makes me happy that they just moved. So where are they now? They used to be on the second floor of a building on what I think is called Cat Street, the street that's mostly a pedestrian walkway that runs parallel to Mejii Dori.