lets talk watches

poopie boy

i preface this by saying i'm not a watch guy and know nothing about watches.

but i've been looking for an old vintage-style watch with a black leather strap and a simple gold plated rim on the dial, but nothing bulky like most watches I see nowadays. been checking ebay for watches from the 40s-50s, but everything i find that fits the category is a bit expensive ($2-300), probably because i have no idea what i'm looking at and just search by scrolling and looking at the photos. not really looking for brand name shit, just a minimalist looking watch under $100.

something like this

012510PB3.jpg

anything/anywhere specific to search for?

i dont know your taste or if time period matters or whatnot, but if you just want a similar looking watch you can always try seiko...I've got one that looks almost exactly like that save the stones in the face and the face is colored a more opaque white...cost me about $30 on ebay, not bulky either

Also have an old Bulova that is similar.

cheap ones are on ebay all the time

Sometimes Ill come across ~100 vintage omegas on ebay that are similar, but not often

Im sure others have more ideas as well, as for retailers I dont really know, I just search aimlessly like you do

anyone have any experience with omega speedmasters? ive been eyeing the reduced version..

what do you wanna know? its been around for more than 50 years and the design is basically the same as when it was introduced. that there is all you need to know, its a timeless design. its like asking "anyone know anything about these rolex submariners?"

i preface this by saying i'm not a watch guy and know nothing about watches.

but i've been looking for an old vintage-style watch with a black leather strap and a simple gold plated rim on the dial, but nothing bulky like most watches I see nowadays. been checking ebay for watches from the 40s-50s, but everything i find that fits the category is a bit expensive ($2-300), probably because i have no idea what i'm looking at and just search by scrolling and looking at the photos. not really looking for brand name shit, just a minimalist looking watch under $100.

something like this

anything/anywhere specific to search for?

why does it have to have a gold plated rim, for under $100 your best bet would be just regular stainless steel. and yeah what enlightened said seiko would be your best bet or citizen

Ive been super busy with school so heres a really late reply..

Thanks for the suggestion, but i need something that can take a hell of a beating cause i never take my watch off..... Not even when i shower...

I used to be a guy who wore a watch 24/7, even when I showered, but I learned after living here in Arizona with a watch, you end up with a gnarly tan line for the times you do take your watch off. So I don't anymore.

For fun:

Here's a photo of me trying a clock on at Barnes and Noble:

488570419_1714716246_0.jpg

what do you wanna know? its been around for more than 50 years and the design is basically the same as when it was introduced. that there is all you need to know, its a timeless design. its like asking "anyone know anything about these rolex submariners?"

as in anyone having any personal experience owning one

i had a feeling someone was going to say g-shock,

I love g-shocks but they dont really fit my wrist. I think

its probably cause my wrist is small

there has to be a G that fits you, whats your wrist measure?

I got small azn wrist syndrome too and i can wear a G-Shock Gulfman fine which is one of the not so small Gs

GW-2500B, one of the newer Gs that are smaller in size than most Gs

attachment.php?attachmentid=194963&stc=1&d=1245270586

Ah, thank you both for the info. I actually found a few builds for sale on some of the watch forums but it just feels right to do this yourself. We'll see.

One more thing @wild style. Did you purchase the base model and have Harold add the face and hands? Or does the price include the cost of the watch (I'm guessing the $125 was the cost of the mods seeing as it would make for an INCREDIBLE deal if it included the watch as well). Also wondering what model you started with.

Thanks guys.

there has to be a G that fits you, whats your wrist measure?

I got small azn wrist syndrome too and i can wear a G-Shock Gulfman fine which is one of the not so small Gs

GW-2500B, one of the newer Gs that are smaller in size than most Gs

the circumference is like five inches so about twelve cm or so but if you got tiny ass wrists too then i should go out and look for a G-Shock again