lets talk watches

poopie boy

As far as I know, Rolex decided to sell cheaper watches like in the 50's under the brand name Tudor but they had the same crown and back for a while. Now I reckon it's still owned by Rolex but they're completly different models and quite legit too.

I just opened an IC thread in the supermarket for an Omega Seamaster in white gold with black face, black leather strap. Not sure if anyone is interested, but I'll post the link here.

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?p=2214584#post2214584

that tudor is pretty nice. but ive never understood what the deal with tudor is. are they just a lower price off shoot of rolex?

pretty much

http://www.interwatches.com/rolex-tudor-history#history

I grew up in Geneva and never heard of Tudor or seen it sold anywhere in Switzerland.

That should answer your question.

That being said, there does seem to be a large contrast between what people wear on their wrist in Europe and the rest of the world. For example, I've only ever seen a handful of people wear a Rolex in Switzerland - its pretty much looked down upon as a brand (though not as much as Rado, Longines, Tissot and the rest of the stuff made by Swatch) while it seems to be highly regarded everywhere else. So maybe Tudor is actually a good brand, just catered to the export market.

Well swatch grp is huge and houses alot of brands from basics to the high end luxury range. So what do the local swiss prefer to wear?

I would say that as a first rule anything that has celebrity billboards all over Switzerland is a no-go, so stuff like Omega, Rolex, Rado, TAG, Tissot etc: all these brands are sold in department stores.

The watch of choice for most people would be an independent-ish (as pretty much everything has been bought up by Richemont and the like) Manufacture d'Horlogie (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manufacture_d%27horlogerie ).

The whole concept of that is very superfluous, because its not like an atelier de terminage can't make a decent watch, but thats the way it goes. I guess this should be familiar to must people at SuFu.

Check the list:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_watch_manufactures

I used to dream of a skeletal Vacheron, but noways I would be happier with the more sublte and universal International Wathmaking Museum watch www.mih-watch.ch.

exactly its pretty much richemont vs swatch grp, not that the brands under those two are bad though I guess brands like Tag, omega and rolex do have the most advertisements and have celebrity's endorsing the products.

Right after that post I remembered what my actual grail watch is:

Girard Perregaux Vintage 1945 Jackpot Tourbillon in white Gold.

FUCK YEAH.

For a GP I would get the Seahawk love that model

PVD SD, i know some of u are in to this look...

PVD! cmon its all about the DLC now

^ black watches look nice until you wear them

then all that black wears away

thats why you would want DLC

tumblr_kzlwydLsbe1qzscpao1_500.png

I recently bought this, for pretty cheap. It's a 1970s Benrus. It says 39 jewel on the dial, but it has a 25 jewel Tugaris movement in it. Anyone know anything about these? Not expecting too much from it, but cant find any info of this model.

just got my Sinn 756 S UTC back, and it's working again! but dayum, i'm not sure if the $$$ i spent sending it back to Sinn for the repair was worth it. oh well, i'm just happy to have it back. full on rebuild and replacement of the anti-humidity cartridge.

dalpcaacg.jpg

if you're interested, here's what pvd looks like after 5 years of almost daily wear :

dalpiaacg.jpg

and here's what they replaced :

dalpnaacg.jpg

^ Meh. I think Yves Behar is great and Fuseproject is an awesome design shop.

But I've seen too many modern/bauhaus/whathaveyou/design-centric watches come around. While the ideas behind them are cool...they tend to seem more like a novelty. They feel a tad cheap to me. It might be cool to own one or two in your collection but that's about it.

That thing makes me think of names like Mondaine and Alessi.