lets talk watches

poopie boy

I got this question on my tumblr and i dont know how to answer:

"What do you think of the Luminox brand of watches? Are they good or are there better alternatives? It would be nice to have choices as they are very expensive where I am."

plz halp. this is for an every day carry blog so it's gonna be a wearer for everyday use and possibly "tactical" applications as well, so if you guys have any comments or suggestions please keep them within that context.

will rep those who help, i'm stumped on this one. :confused:

luminox are good for what they are. i wonder where this guy lives though, because they're not that expensive in the states. not sure what luminox style he's talking about, so hard to recommend other watches, but for some other good utilitarian everyday watches, check out hamilton or seiko field watches

Luminox are decent watches, but other than every day wear, it might help to get a little more specific about what exactly "tactical" means in his situation. The prices are fair, and to add to Eric's suggestion, I would also recommend Marathon field watches

I have an Omega Speedmaster that I haven't worn in at least four years because the quote for repair was $500+.

The sad part is that I've dished out thousands on boots in that time. Maybe I should forget about boots for a while and have it fixed - I'd love to bring it with me to Afghanistan and give it some combat time. Then It'll be an heirloom with some history.

Luminox are decent watches, but other than every day wear, it might help to get a little more specific about what exactly "tactical" means in his situation. The prices are fair, and to add to Eric's suggestion, I would also recommend Marathon field watches

forgot about your tactical question. def marathon, or traser.

I have an Omega Speedmaster that I haven't worn in at least four years because the quote for repair was $500+.

The sad part is that I've dished out thousands on boots in that time. Maybe I should forget about boots for a while and have it fixed - I'd love to bring it with me to Afghanistan and give it some combat time. Then It'll be an heirloom with some history.

man you gotta get that repaired! Its too nice to sit around!

same here - it took me over a year to get around to repairing my Sinn... when i got the quote from Sinn, i nearly had a heart attack... about USD 500!! crazy. but i'm glad i did it finally and have it back on my wrist.

Accidentally lost the stem to the crown on my Rolex Air King on the way back to JPN from NYC. Couldn't find it on the floor of the airplane unsurprisingly. Long story short, Rolex repair is highway robbery.

$60 for the new stem

$50 for the "exchange" even though I don't have a stem to exchange it with

$70 to open it up and make sure it doesn't need any more work (I just had it serviced 6 months ago, surely it's fine).

Total cost for a 1mm screw with a Rolex logo on it $180. Oh, and it won't be ready for three weeks. Yipppeee.

need to get my watch serviced and crystal swapped out...

thinking about going to a jeweler to get it done instead of having Rolex bend me over to fuck me...

good idea?

hey everyone, first post on this thread.

a friend of mine's wife wants to get him a graduation gift cause he's graduating law school in may. she sent me an email asking me what i thought of these two watches:

http://www.bulova.com/brands/bulova/product.aspx?origin=collection&sku=98B103&brand=bulova

http://www.bulova.com/brands/bulova/product.aspx?origin=collection&sku=98B104&brand=bulova

i know literally nothing about watches so i thought i'd turn it over to you guys. any thoughts on these watches? are they quality? if not, anyone know of a similar-in-style watch for about the same price that you'd recommend?

thanks in advance, anything helps.

links don't work, redirect to the main bulova page. anyway, i'd suggest looking at other brands. never been too impressed with bulova's designs.

before i can really recommend something, does he have a job lined up? if so, what is it (firm (BigLaw or small), government, etc.)? if he's gonna wear it to work, this info would be helpful.

oh yeah, thanks.

if this is his only watch that he'll be wearing every day to work, stay away from sport watches. they're fun to wear with a suit every now and then, but not every day.

also, a rose-gold bulova just screams crap, cause everyone knows it's plated.

not much i'd recommend in that price range. either spend more (1500 for a mid-range tag/omega or low-end brietling) or less (250 for a hamilton/seiko/etc).

seriously though, where will he be working? it might sound too anal, but i'm a lawyer and i'm conscious of it. i wear different watches depending on what meeting i'll be at. for instance, i'm not going to wear a really nice watch to a hearing with a judge who i make more than. i'm also not going to wear a fun sport watch to a meeting with a serious client. if he's just going to be wearing this one watch, need versatility -- stainless chron with bracelet is a good bet imo.

Can anyone reccomend a dressy watch with a black leather band*? Nothing too complex or anything, my G Shock is just too sporty for my liking.

*Preferably less than $200.

Can anyone reccomend a dressy watch with a black leather band*? Nothing too complex or anything, my G Shock is just too sporty for my liking.

*Preferably less than $200.

if you up your budget a bit to say $300-$400 you can pick from these two which are solid choices for a dress watch

Seiko Spirit SCVS003

b42bd09cc88ee0c2aa7c5c3e.jpg

Seiko Spirit SCVS013 (Blue Spark)

57912309.jpg

i'm buying a marathon watch and just want to make sure i know all the details before i decide on one.

one is an older model 2005 that uses tritium. if i'm not mistaken tritium is radioactive and will eventually stop glowing? the other option is the 2009 maraglo watch, which seems to never stop glowing, only needs recharging in light.

basically...tritium or maraglo? any insights are welcome.

Supposedly, Tritium has a half life of 12.3 years. That is 12.3 years until HALF of the tritium in the tubes decays.

I've never owned a tritium watch and wouldn't know exactly how long until the lume in one is completely gone but I'd conclude that the difference is going to be: you can buy tritium and get amazing lume without the need for recharging for 12.3 years or get Maraglo which needs recharging and lasts "forever" (skeptical) but isn't as strong.

That's about it.

i'm buying a marathon watch and just want to make sure i know all the details before i decide on one.

one is an older model 2005 that uses tritium. if i'm not mistaken tritium is radioactive and will eventually stop glowing? the other option is the 2009 maraglo watch, which seems to never stop glowing, only needs recharging in light.

I have the marathon mechanical field watch. I havent seen any pictures of the maraglo examples (maraglo just being marathons way of calling indiglo) I remember someone stating even after almost 10+ years his marathon was still really legible.

Another thing to remember also is that besides the battery being replaceable, the field watches weren't really meant to be serviceable or maintained for a very long time but during its intended period of use would be very sturdy.

maraglo is basically just super luminova, so it depends what you prefer. A brighter glow that starts out super bright then fades after a few hours or a medium glow that is consistent throughout any lighting condition that never fades

post on WUS with a comparison btwn the two lumes

http://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=144

How much SHOULD it cost to have my kinetic Omega Speedmaster repaired?

My wife brought it in some years ago and she was quoted at over $500.00. It's been sitting around now for over four years. I hope to bring it with me when I head to A'stan.

that price seems a bit high , was it the Omega Repair Center that quoted that price? Usually does cost a bit more to have it serviced/repaired at the authorized repair centers of whatever brand name watch you have.

You have a local watchmaker that you go to or trust? Could have him look at it, seems like your problem is you need to replace the capacitor in the watch.