lets talk watches

poopie boy

Its about time I start looking for a watch.. upon researching this thread I'm really liking the Orient Sub.

So far all i have is a nixon and G-shocks, not too fond of the g-shocks but cant beat free-ninety-nine.

Heres my contribution

4297899549_205881637e.jpg

nothing wrong with Gs, great watches for the money. Frogmans are awesome.

haven't gotten a G-Shock since my first one back in'98 just picked up the new men in matte black gulfman

man how much is a few bucks sounds like the deal of the century

I like alot of the ML line of watches too but I'd have to say the Pontos series are my favorites and their memoire watch has got to be one of the craziest watches out there today in terms of technological know how

actually you can't see it in that pic but the watch has a digital display also so its not useless. as for finding one best bet would be yahoo japan all the stores that had it probably all sold out by now and they are limited editions

Citizen x Koichiro Yamamoto

koichiro-yamamoto-citizen-1.jpg

I really like the stowa marine automatic with the date at the 6 position.

Just curious about this:

For 177 EUR, your Marine Automatic can be upgraded with a movement certified by the Contrôle Officiel Suisse des Chronomètres (COSC) as opposed to the regular ETA 2824-2 movement

does anyone know about this?

thanks

Wikipedia on the COSC should give you the information you need.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COSC

As for my personal knowledge: it's debatable as to whether a COSC movement is TRULY a superior movement to those that are not. Like the article says, watchmakers will generally submit movements to the COSC with better parts or more jeweling to ensure passing.

Personally, I'd trust a watch maker like Stowa with using a highly reliable movement like the ETA 2824-2. With the COSC option you're more or less paying for a little extra piece of mind and a movement that's a little less likely to give you any trouble and keep slightly better time (the ETA 2824-2 can be capable of keeping equally good time as a COSC movement).

Depends whether or not the 177 extra EUR is a good chunk of coin to you. If you've got the bills to burn then go for it. But if you'd rather use the money for something else then stick with the standard ETA movement.

2 cents.

Don't bother with the COSC movement. With Stowa, you'd be paying for testing, not for better movement quality.

Well thats what it usually is anyways when you pay for watches that are certified chronometers, your paying for the testing not a better movement.

Its just that some companies usually have their COSC watches have better parts/jewels like WhoGotMeIntoThis said.

I'm not sure but I'm assuming that Stowa uses the standard 2824-2.

Can email and ask em which one they use for the regular non COSC version watch since their are 4 grades of 2824s Standard,Elaborated,Top, & Chronometer (COSC)

Mondaines are great, I grew up in Switzerland taking the train to school every day so those watches really resonate with me.

Even though they replicate the design pretty well, they lack the most beautiful part of the entire swiss railway clock experience:

the smooth motion of the second hand, which after a complete revolution holds still for a few seconds and then the minute hand moves from one minute to the next in one jump. I love it. Check the video at 23 seconds.

I cant even imagine how expensive it would be to get that mechanism to a wrist watch, but if I ever see a true miniature version of one of those clocks then I wont be able to hold back.

Astounding.

Do the Mondaine watches have a smooth movement like that (minus the cool jump-movement)? or just ticks normally? I've had my eyes on a date one as well for the last couple years.

I have an automatic mondaine. It is definitely a smoother sweep than the quartz - at 28800 BPH, you *almost* can't see the 'tick'.

As for the jumping minutes, you *can* find watches with that complication - but it's associated with horrifyingly expensive watches. And I can't think of one with that feature and a crisp Bauhaus-inspired design.

Hey guys

uniformwares.jpg

http://www.uniformwares.com/product_info.php?cPath=1&products_id=28#

thoughts? or similar styles for less?

this is like "if american apparel made watches"

definitely wouldn't be watch I would feel proud dropping $150 for

probably won't turn heads. people might mistake it as a shitty-ass timex or toy-watch from UO or something.