lets talk watches

poopie boy

Thanks for the Panerai info. I think I'll up my budget and go for the real deal. I love the PAM 164. I'm new to high end watches, where is the best place to fish for used ones?

if your budget is in that price range there is alot out there (other brands) for you to pick from I'd say look around watch forums and see what else is out there before you buy. Unless you really really like the Pam that much and bust a nut every time you see it

so in march is my birthday and i would like to treat myself to a new watch. i'm a student so i'm looking at the 100-200€ bracket.

i'm looking for a watch with a military feel, something with a nylon strap. should be easy to read(!), black bezel, white hands and details, date is optional, not a chronograph, i already have a Fossil Speedway with a metal band.

I have a Hamilton Khaki Field Watch (the hand wound version) that I'm happy with...

watch1.jpg

watch2.jpg

I have a Hamilton Khaki Field Watch (the hand wound version) that I'm happy with...

think his budget was 100-200 euros, even the quartz version is higher than that.

also what kind of pic is that, why don;t you just take the pic of the watch on your wrist instead of a mirror shot

4321224090_909d594f6a.jpg

So I ended up grabbing an Alpha to satisfy my urge for a sub. For $65 shipped, I'm very impressed by this watch. It's more accurate than I could have imagined. Promptly swapped out the bracelet for a black zulu.

what size strap fits in there/lug measurement? if you dont mind me asking

Im thinking about buying a cheap sub homage and Ive already got a steel black band I want to put in

http://img693.imageshack.us/i/dsc0230i.jpg/

ok i know nothing about watches. but this just looks classy! the guy said it's a seiko snda05p1 chrono. whatever that is.

he's asking 75 shipped.....man i want it, but can't justify that price.

ooops sorry big pic

thats reasonable for that watch and the band he has on it is probably worth that price alone lol.

Save your shekels, champagne. The 856 UTC is beautiful.

wrist_shot_2.jpg

I know this is heresy, but I would love to put one of these on a regimental NATO strap. I think it would look amazing.

i don't know about heresy, but it probably would look kinda dumb... which regiment would go with black/white/yellow other than the standard bond?

just sent my 756 S UTC back to Sinn for maintenance and repair (it suddenly stopped running about a year ago after 4 years of daily wear - just finally got around to sending it in). sucks that they don't have a very large dealer network (hence their ability to keep their prices down). but it cost me $50 to ship it back to Germany.

anyone know what the deal is for customs?? I mean, I won't get customs fees shipping back to Germany and then on the way back out will I??? (since i've already paid the duty when i first purchased the watch).

thats reasonable for that watch and the band he has on it is probably worth that price alone lol.

Sorry for the double quote but I just wanted emphasize what Arlee said. That band looks amazing. Although I would rather wear a leather band out myself, the leather looks great, think and has aged really nicely.

Reminds of a guy at Gamine (Frech spot here in SF) who has a PAM with a leather band made from old WWII ammunition strap (think leather strap with holes for bullets).

Sold for $75.

4321224090_909d594f6a.jpg

So I ended up grabbing an Alpha to satisfy my urge for a sub. For $65 shipped, I'm very impressed by this watch. It's more accurate than I could have imagined. Promptly swapped out the bracelet for a black zulu.

what are your thoughts on this watch? I keep going back and forth between this, the invicta 8926, and ebay steriles..

what are your thoughts on this watch? I keep going back and forth between this, the invicta 8926, and ebay steriles..

Yeah, I was between the Alpha and the Orient. I didn't really like the polished center links on the Invicta bracelet, nor was I crazy about their logo. The Alpha won for me based on the hacking second hand and the fact that it can be handwound (correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the Orient or Invicta can). Also, $65 to my door was hard to pass up.

The Alpha has been surprisingly accurate thus far. The bracelet is nothing to write home about, but it has solid end links, unlike the Orient. The power reserve on it has also surprised me. The lume honks, but that was to be expected. Also, the water resistance is doo doo, but that didn't bother me because this thing will not be seeing water anytime soon (thats what the gshock is for).

It seems all 3 get great reviews, which is remarkable in this price range. From my research, most people would recommend spending the extra $20 or so on the Invicta, but I have no regrets with the Alpha thus far.

Alpha makes a milsub version now that looks nice.

And yeah, that milsub looks great w/ the sword hands. :)

wish they made some a bit smaller like my benrus... 36-38mm

I say save up a little bit more and get a Seiko SKX031K (40mm) SKX023K (38mm) or Ollech & Wajs which will probably last you much much longer than a alpha.