lets talk watches

poopie boy

bransplode - i don't think you're going to find a B&R rip in the size you need. that square style is generally only made really big. irrc, they're modeled after the instrument dials in aircrafts. and they're all fuckin huge. i too have azn wrists, and look like p diddy if i wear something over 38mm.

also, i'm not sure i follow you re an auto gmt movement being easier to maintain... for a watch in your price range, it doesn't pay to do maintenance on the movement. just wear it until it starts keeping bad time and buy a new one. you'd end up paying a watchmaker more than the watch is worth to regulate it properly. anyway, logically, gmt movements are harder to maintain than regular autos just b/c there's more stuff goin on.

ah, i didn't mean maintain as in get it serviced at a watchmaker -- i just meant maintenance like having to wind a manual watch every day to "maintain" the time. sorry if i'm using the wrong terminology.

i guess i can just daydream for now and not buy anything until my rubber digital finally bites the dust. hopefully by then i find something i like in a more reasonable case diameter. thanks for the help!

EDIT: oh lol i actually have a wrist shot of my current watch at 38mm.. 46mm would probably be monstrous then, huh?

10320_272865170113_785270113_8728618_1323272_n.jpg

excuse the.. flashlight..

ah, i didn't mean maintain as in get it serviced at a watchmaker -- i just meant maintenance like having to wind a manual watch every day to "maintain" the time. sorry if i'm using the wrong terminology.

oh, gotcha. auto v. manual. the manual watches i have i never wear for the just reason. also why i really have to get motivated before i change daily wears...

i've heard pretty good things about Parnis.. it's just their designs that are a little lackluster

and the straps always suck

ain't no design its just straight rips of all the popular watch brands

word. im not really looking for anything too fancy or baller, esp if im gonna wear an homage watch, i just like the BR style because it's highly visible (at the cost of wearing very large..)

as far as the straps go it doesn't really bother me because i was hoping to slap on a NATO band from countycomm or something while i pick up some other edc gear. i also figure i could get a watchmaker to switch hands w/ something w/ lume??

for under 100 bucks i feel like its pretty safe, esp considering i paid over 100 for this goddamn rubber nooka watch.

EDIT: lol fck they dont even make 26mm NATO bands :(

forget the parnis if your on watchuseek theres plenty of info on smaller brands that do better stuff and actually make great homage watches and not just rip off the design of popular watch brands.

And yeah for your budget its most likely going to be easier if you get a quartz, plenty of nice ones to pick from too or if you really want a automatic just go get a seiko 5 and be done with it.

I think you'll grow out of the square watch thing if it's not the real deal (I.E. B&R or Panerai or whathaveyou.)

Even if it was... meh.

Giant watches w/o a good reason for being that massive. Clarity of the face design is going to be more visible than the couple mm difference in physical size; plus the awkwardness of wear...

schoo' me:

dizz got a Sinn 756 (I think it is?) black on bracelet, I am feeling it, but we gotta keep it different since we work together; something else Sinn that is decent? Can't make ends of the models, I like the thickness of the 756 Diapal, I like the 356 Acrylic for the look (but not excited about the durability factor, considering my lifestyle).... recommendations or alternatives? Not a 'beater' watch and not looking to get into watches, I just want a nice watch to wear most of the time.

schoo' me:

dizz got a Sinn 756 (I think it is?) black on bracelet, I am feeling it, but we gotta keep it different since we work together; something else Sinn that is decent? Can't make ends of the models, I like the thickness of the 756 Diapal, I like the 356 Acrylic for the look (but not excited about the durability factor, considering my lifestyle).... recommendations or alternatives? Not a 'beater' watch and not looking to get into watches, I just want a nice watch to wear most of the time.

I like the 356 a lot; not sure what kind of active lifestyle you have, but this isn't something I would wear hiking per se. Otherwise, like you said, it's a great looking watch:

sinn356acrylicstrap_629_general.jpg

Another watch that I would consider, if you want the durability factor, is Sinn's U series..... these watches are build from the same metal used on German U-Boats, which makes it extremely resistant to salt water and the elements. The U1 is the most affordable of the series:

sinnu1_1478_general.jpg

And lastly if you are really into the x56 series (which is my favorite) then consider just going with a clean-faced 656/656s. It's got incredible dial visibility due to the simpler face and the A/R coating, and if you want it to look different from your buddy's just buy the silver case and keep the leather strap on it, or swap it for a NATO strap.

sinn656strap_2257_general.jpg

Hope that wasn't too many options....

schoo' me:

dizz got the Sinn 756 Diapal? Or the 756? Either way, the 756 is one of my favorite Sinns, hands down. The dial is beautiful. No shame in getting another Sinn, although different model. You need one with 2nd time zone considering you crazy schedule. Diapal has it, or 756 with UTC.

How's Sinn viewed in Korea? My est. is that they're completely stealth.

Good luck picking out your 1st nicer watch. I went from Rolex, Omega, and finally to Seiko. Won't every switch out. But that 756 Diapal on Strap makes me vacillate.

^ yeah, Sinn would be a sleeper, and the black is a nice double on the stealth, most people would never take a second look. IWC is well-known here by now and as much as I would like something that nice, I can't really splash on something that expensive. Got a lot of other things I'd rather buy.

If it were the Diapal I probably won't be buying it for awhile (a good while) but I can probably swing a 356 or 656 for Christmas or something, always a Christmas birthday concept of a too old so I have to buy myself a present concept. hm...

my 2 favorites are the 856S

856-UTC-black-LB-med.jpg

and the 656S

656-s-MB-schrag-frei-med.jpg

they're very good watches, and it's hard to find alternatives, or at least i don't know any in the same style and aestethic consistency.

dis...good choices both. I particularly like the 356. 656 is almost too clean.

still, you're going to enjoy either, for a long time.

don't mean to shill seiko, but take a look at this, dis:

http://popcdn-zoovy-3.simplecdn.net/img/kseiya/W640-H480-Bffffff/S/s_sbpp007a.jpg

$439....makes you pause.

Even cheaper here:

http://www.higuchi-inc.com/TPD.html

36000 yen...boom!

schoo' me:

Sinn U1 white

sinnu1blackmid.jpg

or if you like the 756 that much why not just go for the 757 to not look the same since the 757 has a rotating bezel

sinn-757.jpg

they're very good watches, and it's hard to find alternatives, or at least i don't know any in the same style and aestethic consistency.

there is a few names but if you want the same style of sinn try Damasko, also a gemran company. Two of their most popular models below

damasko da36

damaskoda36M.jpg

damasko dc56

2370478779_80b513b3c1.jpg

damasko's are cool but even more expansive than sinn's... and i'm not really in a position to spend a lot on a watch. i still got my seiko beater since 2005. i'm fine with that.

Even cheaper here:

http://www.higuchi-inc.com/TPD.html

36000 yen...boom!

black on bracelet looks good....

I had actually really wanted the N Hoolywood X Hamilton watch for its looks and then realized how stupid it was to buy a $300 watch for $1000....

I had actually really wanted the N Hoolywood X Hamilton watch for its looks and then realized how stupid it was to buy a $300 watch for $1000....

i had the exact same series of thoughts when i saw that hamilton. the only reason it's different from a normal hamilton is the black, and at that price, better off spending a little more and getting a sinn. the thing i like about the hamilton is the size though, for my small ass wrists.

go baller for a whole ~$28 more, and get it....reinvest unspent xmas funds into jawnz business. rinse & reap rewards.

i've bought from higuchi-san a couple of times, from multiple g's to $30 purchases. he's the preeminent, authorized Seiko, international selling vendor, especially for jdm (japan domestic model).

check out timezone, watchuseek, scwf forums...zero anxiety for higuchi (and seiya).

fyi, higuchi's blog:

http://zazastar.blog8.fc2.com/

1st watch listed is my next grail. i'm partial to divers.

Yeah, I have Asian tiny wrist syndrome, and tinier than most of you dudes especially; I have skinnier wrists than most women I meet, unless they're undernourished, I'm talking like 5.5" circumference on my wrists, yet I have the sleeve length of someone more like 6' tall.

I can wear a 38mm diameter and might be able to pull off 40mm possibly, I need to consult with dizz on that since he has a lex and that Sinn and they're both around that size.

I was laying in bed a second ago, decided I will make this a birthday present to myself this year, budget of about $1500 (or less, but I want something nice obviously) for a watch that I can wear everyday. Seems like Sinn is in the lead; I like the 657S that is black on bracelet as well... hmmm.....

Yeah, I have Asian tiny wrist syndrome, and tinier than most of you dudes especially; I have skinnier wrists than most women I meet, unless they're undernourished, I'm talking like 5.5" circumference on my wrists, yet I have the sleeve length of someone more like 6' tall.

I can wear a 38mm diameter and might be able to pull off 40mm possibly, I need to consult with dizz on that since he has a lex and that Sinn and they're both around that size.

I was laying in bed a second ago, decided I will make this a birthday present to myself this year, budget of about $1500 (or less, but I want something nice obviously) for a watch that I can wear everyday. Seems like Sinn is in the lead; I like the 657S that is black on bracelet as well... hmmm.....

yeah the sinn 656 is like 38.5mm so should fit you fine, seems like you like aviator type style watches if so then yeah Sinns are pretty much a great buy for their prices

should i buy a panerai pam 05 now or i just hold off and earn more and get a daytona?

With your style and interests i don't see the point of you getting a Panerai.

Get a Rolex but don't mess with the Daynota, just look towards a nice DayDate or DateJust.

I personally think you should maybe even looking into getting a simple Air King in a full gold case, now THAT'D be dope.