superconfessional

i like the phrase 'sound design' though...i've always wanted to learn how to play the piano and go back and study music theory so i can understand chords and what not, and start making instrumentals. Even if they never get used for songs or anything, i like the idea of adding another creative outlet to my skills. one regret i have is not taking music theory class seriously enough back in high school...

The wunderbar thing about "sound design" is that it doesn't necessarily apply to film. The other wunderbar thing is that you don't need traditional theory but can still easily apply it. Like korp said, it's broad but the only way to make a living is to apply it to multimedia.

Sound design, as a stand-alone practice of music (if you want to go by the Varese definition and simply call that organized sound) is a non-traditional form based on the absolute sound event (Earlier non-serial Stockhausen/Tietchens), texture, contrast, and pure sound aesthetic. A more pretentious knob than even I might just say "we call that sound art", because the "design" part often refers to visual accompaniment. Because I hate to call people artists, I don't usually do so, and call it sound design because that's what it is. Sound design.

I've actually been teaching myself basic piano, but I rarely ever use traditional theory, though I respect it immensely. I try not to delve too deep into it so that I don't start reacting against it. Everybody can do this stuff. It's about detail and taste. If you're interested, pick up a SM57 and a decent condenser mic, some basic software, an inexpensive audio interface, a HARDWARE synth (it doesn't have to be analog but that really helps, no matter what people might say. you'll want to route your mics through it) and/or some modules (for the same reason) and just fuck around. Oh, and never use MIDI. Don't you dare.

i admire those who can construct layered melodies with drums, synths etc just from their 'sound instinct'...i imagine this is how most hip hop producers get by. i occasionally can start thinking up some kind of music in my head but would have no idea how to translate those sounds into something tangible once i am facing an actual music making program. It's this lack of technical insight that's always bothered me, but like you said it may just be an experience/practice thing more than anything.

not familiar with any of that sound design terminology or concepts, might go look it up...i just liked the phrase because it reminded me of phil spector's "wall of sound".

i admire those who can construct layered melodies with drums, synths etc just from their 'sound instinct'...i imagine this is how most hip hop producers get by. i occasionally can start thinking up some kind of music in my head but would have no idea how to translate those sounds into something tangible once i am facing an actual music making program. It's this lack of technical insight that's always bothered me, but like you said it may just be an experience/practice thing more than anything.

not familiar with any of that sound design terminology or concepts, might go look it up...i just liked the phrase because it reminded me of phil spector's "wall of sound".

Were you ever any good at additive sculpture?

jeep -- maybe you should do an internship or just hang out at some places to see what you really enjoy doing? there's no reason to jump into a [expensive] sound program prematurely if you aren't even sure if you would like it. to be honest, a degree is usually just an excuse to get your foot in the door. i never studied audio at all, but i am currently learning how to edit hd video in 5.1 surround at work...

going out on a limb here -- i'm guessing it's sculpting with a substance such as clay where you add/mold to a base to form your desired shape or form, as opposed to say, rock sculptures, where you chip away from an original larger starting point (deductive sculpture?)

ahh...i was never good at that, was also a terrible drawer and still am. i express my ideas and creativity best in words i think, and possibly conjuring up random images (don't know how to shoot film, the closest thing i've done is taking pictures but all i have is a crap digital camera and know nothing about technical stuff like composition of shots, usage of lighting and what not)...so perhaps that kind of artistry isn't one i'm cut out for.

jeep -- maybe you should do an internship or just hang out at some places to see what you really enjoy doing? there's no reason to jump into a [expensive] sound program prematurely if you aren't even sure if you would like it. to be honest, a degree is usually just an excuse to get your foot in the door. i never studied audio at all, but i am currently learning how to edit hd video in 5.1 surround at work...

Do you mean jeep or jet?

Because I've been doing this for years and I'm sure it's what I really want to do. It's just that I'd have to move away, struggle to make rent and eat while going full time in a place where I know not a single person. We don't have programs like this around here.

i think you meant to direct this at jet, jay.

i have such a busy week ahead of me. fuck.

I burped and it tasted like pesto.

confession: it made me hungry...

I have acid reflux pretty bad. Basically after i eat something i burp it back up.

Confession: I like the fact i can eat some ice cream in the solid frozen state, and then burp it back up as a melted milshape type thing. It's really tasty. This sounds really disgusting.

adding to a scuplture or painting by building color over color is tough for me.

i paint and sculpt reductively and even do scratchboard sketches before working in pen and ink. just the way i think.

i have no idea what that is

Confession: I like the fact i can eat some ice cream in the solid frozen state, and then burp it back up as a melted milshape type thing. It's really tasty. This sounds really disgusting.

sounds like something id get at mcdonalds.

what flavours you got?

adding to a scuplture or painting by building color over color is tough for me.

i paint and sculpt reductively and even do scratchboard sketches before working in pen and ink. just the way i think.

In sculpture I always liked additive because I make a lot of mistakes, though none of my shit was ever bronzed (I work with clay). This coming semester I'll be doing a metalwork sculpture class, which will definately have much less room for error. I'm looking forward to the patience and stratagy required.

In music, the process of layering is additive yet I use a subtractive synthesis method (it's an Access Virus C) when I'm not using software. In theory what I do is additive, in tone and texture it's subtractive. What do you call that shit (besides "shit")?

I had a dream last night about reassuring a little girl she was going to be fine when I knew she was actually going to eventually die. It was really awful.

I have a dream... That one day black people will be president.