Evolution of Leather Goods: Before and After Pictures

damn sweet wallet! hows the damage on your pack pocket from that snap?

Thanks man. Getting some decent wear from the quarter.

Gogeous ..which reminds me - Miz - we still have to convince your friend to make us some....;)

Thanks beatle. I think he has time to make some product now.

lol edmond ;P

anyway, really like the chain.. would it be possible to just order the chain alone from him?

I think that there could be some pricing breaks on the shipping. Ask Miz.

My family has a house in the south of France where they often spend their holidays.

When I was there the last time, wich was end of December last year, I had a look in the attic above the garage. We normally never come there as it's too low to stand straight, but I climbed up there as I was curious. This isn't your normal rummage attic, but it's really crappy, has only one window with no glass in it and the floor is basicly just a bunch of old wood losely laid over some wooden beams.

Inbetween lots of bird and bat droppings, an old bottomless bucket and these big metal hoops that used to be used to make wooden barrels I found this really old leather pouch.

All I can say about it is that it's old, no clue how old exactly though.

The house was build in 1822, but the garage wasn't added till just after WWII and it has been empty ever till my family bought the house in 1990. It has been used as storage by the old neighbour, so there's also a possibility that it belonged to him, he had an accident with his moped (the only motorized thing he owed) around '87. From then the two houses were left abandoned till '90.

So it is the most likely that it ended up upthere anytime between the 50's and 1987.

That's the closest I can get to dating it.

And about it's use I can also only guess, my father suggested that it was an ammo pouch used for hunting, as it has an inner flap to cover the content and it has just the size to fit hunting rifle shells. Also the farmers around our area are quite fond of hunting.

I didn't have time to restore it untill about a month ago, and I've used it almost daily since I did.

1322620384_95b2799e75_o.jpg

This is how I found it, completely covered in dust, seams ripped and hard as rock, luckily the leather hadn't cracked anywhere.

1321731903_3d3cab2142.jpg

1321731297_57b02b0ad8_o.jpg

1321732611_067af02679_o.jpg

I carefully took it apart and oiled all the individual parts untill they were a bit soft again.

I had left it untouched until last moth and only oiled it couple of times more to get the leather more supple.

A little while ago I befriended a local leather repair guy (one of the few left here in Amsterdam) as I needed tips how to get this back together again.

He gave me a bit of old superthick and strong string that has been dipped in wax or something, and also suggested me what needles to get.

I ended up breaking all needles I got except for one, as the leather was so thick hard. I had to pull the needle through with pliers quite a couple of times.

But, finally managed to get it together and now use it almost every day.

Have it on my belt and it's perfect to hold my digital camera as the leather is so stiff.

If anyone could tell me more about it, please let me know.

1322623812_49e6cdfbd9_o.jpg

Stitching is less white, was a lot of sunlight when I took the pic. Have to oil it once more, as I haven't done it since I put it together, think that that will also make the stitching blend in more.

1322624380_280d05c507.jpg

Weird construction actually, as the top only goes under that flap and isn't attached to the bag. So when worn on a belt the bag doesn't actually hang on stitching.

I would've done it the other way around.

1321734927_bee92b1443.jpg

1322626622_a0af427436.jpg

The leather has aged beautifully, scratches, waterstains etc.

1321736783_6203397dff.jpg

Couldn't get a better pic of the inside as the flap tends to bend back when you try to keep it open. Here you can sort of make out the inside flap. The stitching that holds this flap inplace was still in perfect condition weirdly enough.

1321735457_e7aad3eb45.jpg

Think I'm going to have to replace this, it wasn't in the best condition already and the hole is starting to rip and stretch with all the use it suddenly gets.

This piece was also attached with small nails, that I didn't replace, hence the two holes at the top

1322625026_fc06cb58d1.jpg

This piece goes under the "bridge" and it's what my belt loops through. It's also starting to crack since it moves and bends quite a bit as it isn't attached to the bag on the top. Going to have to replace this soon aswell I'm afraid, but I don't look forward to it as I'll probably have to take the whole backpiece off again.

1321737641_e2ae09ced1.jpg

Beautifully rusted, yet still smooth to the touch metal loop. Have no clue what to use this for except maybe to hook the bag onto something else.

Note the old stitching still.

1321737249_9d0d4f4997.jpg

Same as above, no need to do anything to this as it was still as solid as ever

1321736451_71d65aad70.jpg

Burned in markings that I can't decipher, might as well been in the leather already...

there's no fucking leathercare oil shit in my fucking city wtf...

not even this leather jacket store in hilltop mall. fuck that mall.

i hate that ghetto-ass mall.

anyone have any oils they recommend? thanks :)

Flat Head Leather Wax..

Coming in November. :)

Cotton, that is indeed an old ammo pouch.. The clip thing i believe is for attachment to your "duck-hooks", where you hang the ducks after you shoot them...

That thing is fantastic...

Wow that pouch is indeed very nice and im thinking you are right about it storing amunition.

I have just gone through this entire thread and im amazed at some of the wallets. Now i have some decisions to make. I need a new wallet, i think i would prefer a long wallet, i actually fell in love with one of my japanese mates wallets. I believe it was this type which was mentioned briefly in the thread a little way back

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/vari/pr-ko-sow-0884/

But yeh a week ago his flat was broken into and he got it stolen so i cant check but i will ask him anyway later.

So i need a wallet im not looking to go to expensive and im still doing my research but im liking the look of red moon. I will have to wait and see though, my mate is going back to Japan so i might get him to get me one then. What do you think would be a good choice and does anyone have anythin for sale at the moment?

Thanks in advance :o

Ok, I just had my mind blown.

In my last mail to Christophe (Mister Freedom), I included a link to my previous posts about the pouch since I figured he would enjoy it.

He just mailed me back with what looks to be the definite answer as to what the pouch is.

First, a reminder of what mine looks like.

1322623812_f6996a0a26.jpg

And now an excerpt from Christophe his mail to me (hope he doesn't mind):

Here are a few infos i gathered on the origin of that amunition pouch:

It seems to be a French Army, Worl War 1, amo pouch. Belonged to a "poilu" (nickname given to those poor guys who fought in the trenches, poilu meaning "hairy" in french, since they didn't have time to shave between ducking bullets) from the "133eme Regiment d'Infanterie de Ligne" (the stamp reads 133eme de L.). Not sure of the right number, hard to decipher, but it is the military issue stamp, which tells which company the equipment went to, and that was put on all gear/clothing.

The hook was hooked to leather suspenders that supported the gears. The pouch was also straped to the 3 inches wide issued leather belt.

It contained amunitions for the issued riffle model 1886/93. Because of the urgency of the demand during WW1, some of those amo pouches differ because they were ordered swiflty from different manufacturers, with sometimes varying specs.

I am joining a scan of a 1916 "poilu".

1367803700_3743ccf206_o.jpg

This is nuts...

WW1!!!

Crazy!

Guess I have to start taking better care of it.