good hip hop

yea Phonte was venting about that, fucking labels.

I dunno, somehow the beat on Dumb just bothers me. but it doesn't sound too well mastered or anything so I'm hoping the actual release will be touched up a bit ;)

You never know, they re-did Kick Push Pt. II, but then again, the original beat was better imo lol.

what label did LB go to? i remember them being pretty upset about how atlantic(i think) handled their last. which i would agree with since i didnt even know it was out, and i consider myself a fan.

I don't know what label they went to, but they're independant status again...

Who the fuck is telling Lupe to dumb it down?

The geek thing is his image if he tried to talk about shooting niggas people would laugh at him.

Song's cool...but sometimes he thinks what he's saying is new and fresh...no just keep making those clever nostalgiac pop-culture references and I'll keep listening.

Probably ignorant hood people, & label execs, that's who the chorus sounds like it's aimed at...Little Brother just left Atlantic because of creative differences with the label- which is the same label Lupe is currently signed to.

without hearing the new lupe, ill offer some criticism. hes still trying too hard.

I don't think he's trying too hard...Plies = Trying too hard to be real, Lil' Wayne = Trying too hard with punchlines, etc.. Lupe doesn't come off as trying too hard to fit into a particular catergory at all when compared to most of these dudes in the game right now. Doesn't come off as preachy, and does seemingly whatever he wants.

I found Dumb it Down to be a bit lacking.. Prolly the worst beat I've heard Lupe rap on.. If these are how the beats on the album are gonna be then I'm in now way buying this. The lyrics are good but for it to a be a good song, at least for me its about the beat + the lyrics + a better hook. Thumbs down for me.

Sure you can shit on the beat, I think you're actually right about it being the worst beat Lupe rapped over. The Superstar beat wasn't bad though by any means...it had a airy, alternative music type of sound to it, which was amplified by Matthew Santos' singing. Concerning Dumb It Down, I don't see how you can say the song had a bad concept (A concept that isn't that talked about by artists at all, and one that creates an awareness, it's refreshing), or chorus...the main concept of the song was about how people try to get artists to dumb down their music, and Lupe basically stating that he won't compromise his style for anyone through a display of emceeing skill. And the chorus was great due to being able to identify who's trying to influence him to dumb down his music (ie ignorant dudes who want him to make a more pop brand of hip-hop, and label execs that dislike the positive themes in the music due to them not garnering higher record sales).

Sure you can shit on the beat, I think you're actually right about it being the worst beat Lupe rapped over. The Superstar beat wasn't bad though by any means...it had a airy, alternative music type of sound to it, which was amplified by Matthew Santos' singing. Concerning Dumb It Down, I don't see how you can say the song had a bad concept (A concept that isn't that talked about by artists at all, and one that creates an awareness, it's refreshing), or chorus...the main concept of the song was about how people try to get artists to dumb down their music, and Lupe basically stating that he won't compromise his style for anyone through a display of emceeing skill. And the chorus was great due to being able to identify who's trying to influence him to dumb down his music (ie ignorant dudes who want him to make a more pop brand of hip-hop, and label execs that dislike the positive themes in the music due to them not garnering higher record sales).

I completely agree.. I actually edited it out the bad concept idea once I listened to the song again. I misunderstood the concept when I first heard it. I haven't listened to the other songs yet, so I was just saying that if the other ones are like this then I'd be very disappointed.

I understand where you're coming from concerning the production, I hope he sticks with the Food & Liquor formula as far as the beats go. Dramatic, and tied into the content of the song.

Un, thats what I'm saying..I doubt the label execs are teling Lupe to 'dumb it down'. Fuckers that want some gangsta shit aren't really looking for Lupe...and the same with people on some crank dat steez.

I liked American Terrorist, but mostly Lupe is definitely trying to hard to be profound. I had a discussion about this recently, look at his songs

The Instrumental - media is bad, tv rots your brain (uhh seriously nigga? we know sing about some cartoon I watch when I was little or stfu)

He Say She Say - my daddy left me (WE KNOW *no racist*)

Daydreamin - "more boobies, more guns, more drugs (The Roots - What They Do)

I Gotcha - (nigga you aint Q-Tip)

Pressure- (nigga you aint Hov)

He mentions 'gangsta, gold, bling, hoes' too much and too directly,its nothing new you gotta atleast be creative, telling us how bad it is it toooo easy.

All said, I'll probably buy The Cool.

^^^ STFU :rolleyes:

How you gonna dismiss a song like

"he say she say" that easily...do you

even listren to lyrics?

Daydreaming is pure crack.

Beat is on point, the lyrics is popping.

And he is actually saying something.

What else you looking for?

If you dismiss something because it talks

about a issue you heard before, than

i guess all songs must suck, because i have never

heard a song that really said something revolutionary

that has never in the history of mankind been said.

There are plenty of revolutionary songs in musical and

lyrical terms...but not in what is actually said.

If anybody disagrees, name on said that is truly

revolutionary in terms of content. nothing is new.

Not even this. even though its a hell of a track

http://youtube.com/watch?v=hOdBu4--22Y

Immortal Technique isn't saying anything new either, everyone knows that...but he makes me laugh. I can only take him in small doses.

I just think too many people think Lupe is 'saying something'.

*yawn*

I just think too many people think Lupe is 'saying something'.

considering him as a mainstream hiphop artist, hes saying a hell of a lot more then most others. I'm not saying that makes him dope in everybodys book but the dude does have more content than a large part of rappers. I feel like many people are disliking him for the fact that others are feeling him, not because he'd really be weak in any sense.

Why are you guys still talking about Lupe? He's weaksauce. He's not a G, he's not Hip Hop, his wordplay is nothing really and he can't skate for shit.

personally, my merits for a dope rap artist don't include being "a G" or being a good skater. and like him or not, saying that Lupe's wordplay is nothing is sketchy as fuck.

You most likely can't even cope with the shit I listen to.

They don't get radio play so you probably don't know who they are.

The Weathermen

Boot Camp Clik

Dr. Octogan

Stronghold

Molemen

Artifacts

Akbar

AoTP

QN5

Who do you consider strongsauce? 2pac? Big? Nas? Big L? Mainstream artists?

An underground artist that is waiting to blow up is not any better than an artist that already blew up. We all know that fame does not make somebody a good rapper, but it doesn't make anybody a bad one either. So your attitude that fame diminishes a artist is plain wrong.

What i consider strongsauce?

Canibus

inmortal

talib kweli

little brother

AZ

tupac, biggie, Nas, BIg L are all hot. whether they are underground or not doesn't say anything.

as for your list, i like the boot camp clik but what do they bring to the table that isn't available? Say what you want but i'll take big L over the artifacts anyday. Akbar is another one that isn't much different then the rest.

In fact tell me this shit aint hard.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZFeyHE9SvnY

Naw, YOU can't even cope with the shit i listen to.

Unless you listen to this

hip hop is the tip of the ice berg. Overall, that track is harder than your whole list combined.

^ Sorry....but Talib fell off....I do agree on Immortal Technique, though.

That doesn't diminish his past. He still betta den most rappers out there on his worst day.

Stop hating and move on with your life.. some of those artists above are actually GOOD mainstream artists as you call em.. How are you going to come to this thread dissing other rappers that you don't like. And you go and list a whole group of artists like you found a pot of gold or something, that a lot of us haven't heard of. If you want the music you listen to be heard, don't come off as an arrogant dousche thinkin your music is better than everyone elses. Sry, don't mean to be an asshole, but I just hate it when someone comes in here complaining about other people's music. To me music is music, if it has some meaning in it, then it's worth listening to. Spread the music bro.

Cosign on Bis, I don't think he's saying much either but god damn hes fun to listen to sometimes and he says some cool shit.

I just recently acquired Cam's first album and god damn he was weirder than he is now

"im sorry father lemme tell

how I dont really wanna be old in a cell,

see my two year old nephew, i swear i was holding him well,

till he cried and cried and cried I had to scold him and yell,

you know one thing led to another I said oh what the hell,

then i threw him against the well, his parents, i told them he fell"

"I ran into my aunt with the fat ass and the thin chest,

I dont really wanna talk about it or get in-depth but father im a leave you with this last word called incest"

At the end of the track he's actually crying for his mommy.

I love Cam'ron.