good hip hop

oh, that. well i was being ironic. if youve ever been to an underground hip hop show, youd know must of them are filled with very generic white kids. alot of these kids will be wearing jackets that say harlem or brooklyn or crack is back or have shirts with brass knuckles on them. but they would never walk through harlem or get in a fistfight because theyd be worried about getting blood on their shirt thats essentially glorifying exactly what they are affraid of really expeiencing.

ive actually had kids tell me they dont like black rappers because tehy dont make real hip hop. i had to tape my face back on after that.

madvillain - all caps

j dilla (rip) - won't do

percee p - put it on the line

stones throw are putting out loads of great hip hop, i refuse to accept that hip hop is dead! though it does certainly seem dead when you see kanye west releasing songs with daft punk samples, humph.

i agree with NESK, i like backpack/underground rap to an extent.. but some of the fans do sort of bug me when they try to draw blanket statements about what hip-hop is or what it should be..

many of the same kids who like the realness and "struggle" of lyrical rappers are the ones who may have never suffered through the hardships expressed within

if anything i think many mainstream artists are more fun to listen to straight up

the hood loves t.i, wayne, jay etc

not immortal technique

many of the same kids who like the realness and "struggle" of lyrical rappers are the ones who may have never suffered through the hardships expressed within

if anything i think many mainstream artists are more fun to listen to straight up

the hood loves t.i, wayne, jay etc

not immortal technique

agreed wholeheartedly

+rep

can't listen cause I'm "working". but glad to hear that someone who generally knows what they're speaking on thinks Sean's still got it.

On another note. haven't listende to Aesop rock in years, but My girl dug up this old mixtape i made for her with "Pocket full of nickles" on it. It's still rock solid, and though i'm not usually a fan of this type of jargon when discussing music or art. it's got a distinctly "post 911" feel to it.

"post 911" is probably my favorite cliched journalistic term thrown at any good art that doesnt have a happy ending, or overall easily consumable tone.

el p's album was the fucking best example of that kind of thing in hip hop that ive encountered thus far. the paranoia and uneasiness of his lyrics compliments his chaotic style so well. that album is such an amazing snapshot of the political/social malaise of right now. its almost chilling. i can see why youd throw aesop in that camp, i think def jux is really bringing that voice to hip hop. and i think its probly a voice alot of listeners will be thrown off by, but that only validates how powerful the message is as i see it. you should definately check out aesop's new lp none shall pass. hes really found a comfortable spot within his style.

also, today i picked up black milks first ep, broken wax. its pretty good but not spectacular. as dope as popular demand to be sure. i also got sixtoo;s new full length and am half through it. id say hes putting shadow to the test with it. its no endtroducing, but if endtroducing came out now, it wouldnt really be able to fuck with how good it was when it actually dropped. i dont know if that makes any sense, but what i mean is you should get the new sixtoo lp.

ive been hearing this. def jux had a good thing going with mtv2 for a couple years with c rayz being on some show about teaching kids to rap. they pulled alot of rj's beats for commercials too. the label must have a good publicist or something. im all for it.

was listening to Graduation in the car today..

Yo its gots to be cause I'm seasoned

haters give me them salty looks, Lawry's

50 told me, go ahead switch the style up

and if they hate then let 'em hate and watch the money pile up

Lawrys_salt_economy.jpg

I've said it before and I'll say it again, this is one of the best albums of the year for me no doubt. Kanye stepped up both his production and rhymes. the whole album sounds determined and like it was made with passion for music icon14.gif

i also got sixtoo;s new full length and am half through it. id say hes putting shadow to the test with it. its no endtroducing, but if endtroducing came out now, it wouldnt really be able to fuck with how good it was when it actually dropped. i dont know if that makes any sense, but what i mean is you should get the new sixtoo lp.

WORD. SEBUTONES. Shit yeah. 1200 Hobos. MAN I miss those days. The tapes. Fuck man those tapes are legendary.

Glad he's got some new shit out. Hopefully it ain't nothing like his LP from a couple years back (daaaaaaaaaaaaaark).

Speakin' of the Hobo's DJ Mayonnaise's latest album is dope. Thick chunky drums with gritty melodies.

The antithesis of Kanye's graduation sound... just the way I like it.

Lawrys_salt_economy.jpg

I've said it before and I'll say it again, this is one of the best albums of the year for me no doubt. Kanye stepped up both his production and rhymes. the whole album sounds determined and like it was made with passion for music icon14.gif

oh man...

A METAPHOR

holy shit this guy is tops.

i'm going to buy this CD

kanye's rhymes are legendary.

No other rapper has such genius metaphors, as you've pointed out.

Kanye truly is the voice of our generation.

Lawrys_salt_economy.jpg

new jay-z / pharrell from american gansterrr

xpost from mike lawry's thread

no hate, just some wordplay

WORD. SEBUTONES. Shit yeah. 1200 Hobos. MAN I miss those days. The tapes. Fuck man those tapes are legendary.

Glad he's got some new shit out. Hopefully it ain't nothing like his LP from a couple years back (daaaaaaaaaaaaaark).

Speakin' of the Hobo's DJ Mayonnaise's latest album is dope. Thick chunky drums with gritty melodies.

The antithesis of Kanye's graduation sound... just the way I like it.

i was bumping 50/50 where it counts just a few days ago. six's new stuff is still kinda on that dark down tempo vibe. im pretty sure most of ninja tune is on that vibe now. 1200 hobos are legendary. i cant find dj signify's album on wax but i really want it. and dibbs is always murder. last i saw him he was touring with el p. havnt heard mayonaises shit. ill keep my head up for that.