Vintage Style Mens Flare/Bootcut Denim

SLEEZY

Disclaimer: I have started a new thread because I intend to create a thorough and concise resource for anyone who may be interested in this subject matter. This thread is meant to give those of us who are searching for this particular cut/style (and its variations) a place to share information regarding this subject. It is my hope that with this thread we can help people find a nice pair of raw boot cut or flared mens jeans, if thats what you are looking for.

I am coming into this without really knowing much about it, so if you have any information to contribute please do, otherwise I will update any new info that I come accross as I discover it.

From what I can tell, tastefully crafted men's flared/bootcut raw denim jeans are pretty hard to come by these days. For the past few years I have searched for a fairly specific style of jeans that was once very popular but has long since dwindled out of production as the fashion trends of modern times dictate. In the 1970s if you were to look for a slim pair of mens bootcut jeans you would have a hard time finding anything but. However, in todays fashion world it seems that mens boot cut jeans are only available in over-bleached exaggerated washes and usually in very wide cuts no matter what size you try.

The closest thing to the style of mens slim bootcut jeans made in the 70s, that I have seen in recent times is the now defunct Nudie Jeans cut called the "Flare Glenn". This was a slim fitting style with a subtle boot cut from the knee/shin down, which was not too harsh and not too bellbottom-ish. Almost exactly what ive been looking for. Unfortunately it is nearly impossible to locate a raw pair of these jeans in my size at this time, or any wash for that matter since the style was discontinued some years ago. If anyone knows of any similar cuts by any other companies please let me know.

Here are a couple photos (found on The Acid Sweat Lodge Research Blog) which show examples of the specific type of vintage "bootcut" or "flared" styles of jeans that I am refering to:

Misc-010-5x7.jpg

tumblr_lg0rtw1wWC1qafapko1_500.jpg

I will post more examples soon.

Cheers!

SLEEZY

pbj offers a slim flare, subtle enough for full selvedge.

http://blueingreensoho.com/site/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=41&category_id=&manufacturer_id=9&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=62

Looks to be a full spectrum of available sizes. It's not my style but I can't help but notice the raw 36 would work for me.

Wow, thanks for all the responses. I will check out every single one of your suggestions and report back any findings of interest.

i have gotten my hands on a few pairs of levis 517s but i find that so far they have all fit too loose in the thighs if i get a pair which fits in the waist. and if i find i pair that fits perfectly in the leg, they are absolutely impossible to do up in the waist.

i discovered that loaded tokyo makes a pair of slim fitting bootcut jeans that look pretty nice.

they are called "LJ-02STD XX TIGHT BOOTCUT" and they appear to come in a raw selvedge model.

http://loaded-tokyo.shop-pro.jp/?pid=31983395

Thanks again for all the info!

Heres another couple photos for reference purposes:

tumblr_lop4qkn1Xm1qzjmcqo1_500.jpg

tumblr_kpxo16WbBm1qa20lvo1_500.jpg

SLEEZY

not sure if they were newer or older 517 you tried, but the vintage orange tabs and USA made xx vintage 517 have narrower thighs than the newer 517.

I used to have a couple pairs of vintage orange tab 517s (when sized correctly were pretty slim). They pretty much fit me like this,

517-0043-44a.jpg

Always thought they were one of the better cuts as far as bootcut/flare jeans go.

Edited by Curious_George