Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

nope i wont put those vibrams 100 in mine im keeping mine with the cats paw's when they wear down maybe some half soles cats paws..

those lugged out carpenters are pretty err.. frankestein-ey..yeah ugly in other words

^They look pretty good! Yeah, and good call on resoling with half-soles, Edmond. "The best cobbler in Japan" Would he even do such a thing? The boot style itself, with its full-leather midsole, is from an earlier era. Adding the full rubber sole with thick lugs is a pastiche of styles and time periods. When boots had those leather mid-soles and then some kind of rubber or compo, it was mostly a half-sole. So you could see leather at the waist. And even then, the tread wasn't that thick. Super thick tread was an addition from the days of synthetics and usually, non-leather half-soles. The way Red Wings GTs do it is more fitting to the type of boot it is. So good call to resole with half soles!

hey greg thanks! yeah tehy would look better with half soles cats paws.. but i have to wait for them to wear out first.. yeah the best cobbler in japan does basically anything as you can see from his blog and site...welll not all japanese people have taste haha

I take it no one knows much about Indy boots in black. If there's to be any tweaking of the basic style, that's the information I need. Knowing only that they'll be black, my initial response is "meh". Far as I'm concerned, they're perfect in brick. Having a black option doesn't do much for me. I will go check them out, that's for sure.

^I agree about the black. No biggie here. To polish them the way I like, I'll have to end up blackening the stitching as well as the welts. They'll end up looking less vintage, less distinguished. That's why I like the brick color like you say - tan Kiwi leaves everything looking spit-shined yet still Indy-like and mid-century!

But I'll stroll over to the Alden store during lunch and ask when the blacks are due...

Hi Viv, these are really nice looking boots indeed. Sorry bit of a boot noob, but could you give me some more info on these, website, maybe online purchase etc. I have just got to the last page of this thread! Crazy, took a few months. Have been wearing some, what I think to be old Australian Army boots for the last few months. Will get some pic's when I can.

Andewhall, go here http://www.resoul.com/index.html Located in Seattle.

Im looking for a low cut Red wing 875 styled shoes (moc toe, crepe sole). Any ideas? Is the RW model available anywhere? Any other brands?

like this

http://www.j-suplex.com/vol3ss-big/f-s2ww-boot.htm

also open for something in this vein

http://www.j-suplex.com/brand-big/boot/b-boot-brn.htm

and the reason i dont get any of those are that they are JP collabs, which means pricey and for the small feeted.

Grenson quality is up there with Trickers. I have both and love them. Much better quality than Alden.

I wouldn't go that far. Grenson and Alden are similar quality these days (and only because of the slight decline of Alden). Also, Grenson has a very wide range of lines and quality levels, their entry level is not very good. Tricker's is a step above both.

I emailed Tom at Leather Soul last year asking to have a pair of black Indy's custom made. He told me that Alden didn't do one off customs. When Greg told us that Alden New York was doing a run I was pleasantly surprised. I will most likely end up selling my semi-dress to fund the new boots.

Hi Viv, these are really nice looking boots indeed. Sorry bit of a boot noob, but could you give me some more info on these, website, maybe online purchase etc. I have just got to the last page of this thread! Crazy, took a few months. Have been wearing some, what I think to be old Australian Army boots for the last few months. Will get some pic's when I can.

Hey man- sorry for late reply- They are made by a brand called MOMA- available in lots of online shoe and fashion places.... I really really really wanted them in black- but they sold out so i got the brown ones- as you can see.

Id love a pair of grenson shoes- I think the styling an last shapes are very very nice.

Anywhere in UK that does Alden?? A wide range? C&J cordovan is £370 odd quid...

think i might sell off my laptop to get these and slap on some vibrams . i've seen older pairs and they're a thing of beauty. the history they tell with the lifetime level of craftmanship is unlike anything i've ever touched.

Puma-Usan.png

think i might sell off my laptop to get these and slap on some vibrams . i've seen older pairs and they're a thing of beauty. the history they tell with the lifetime level of craftmanship is unlike anything i've ever touched.

Whether this was a serious post or not, no sneakers/tennis shoes/sport shoes/et.c. please.

Personally I hate them with a fervent passion (especially penny loafers/tassel loafers) but I know others like them. Matter of taste ;)

When I was in grad school I affected the preppy look. OCBDs, chinos and maybe the iconic penny loafer, those oxblood-colored Bass Weejuns. Now, many years later, I must say I appreciate the penny-loafer as a style icon from the mid-century times I like so much, along with letterman sweaters, stadium jackets, skinny jeans and crew cuts, but they're no longer my style. Once I tried on RMW, C&J, Indies, or even my beloved AE Leeds, I found that loafers just don't do it. Sort of like the watch collectors that say, once they try on a Panerai, other watches just feel too insubstantial!

112.4.gif

loafers: those annoying looking shoes that pop up on ebay every time i search for "cordovans."

in other words, not my steez. sorry, i went to catholic school for years and was forced to wear shoes like that (along with dress shirt, tie and gray slacks) and i hate them so much by now.

When I was in grad school I affected the preppy look. OCBDs, chinos and maybe the iconic penny loafer, those oxblood-colored Bass Weejuns. Now, many years later, I must say I appreciate the penny-loafer as a style icon from the mid-century times I like so much, along with letterman sweaters, stadium jackets, skinny jeans and crew cuts, but they're no longer my style. Once I tried on RMW, C&J, Indies, or even my beloved AE Leeds, I found that loafers just don't do it. Sort of like the watch collectors that say, once they try on a Panerai, other watches just feel too insubstantial!

112.4.gif

These watches are the most over-rated watch in history. Not worth the high $ in my opinion.

Thanks Viv and Humanerror, will check 'em out. I quite like a strong but lightweight boot, these look quite good yeah.

Chicken Thanks man, I forgot how good 'n' warm boots are in winter. They are playing the old Indiana Jones movies on TV at the moment......and after reading this thread I am always looking out for the "Indys".

thumb tacking the denims to the shoes??....i see this a lot in the hispanic community. so you can have that massive baggy sag stack and not scrape the hems up. i think in the front you tie the denims into the laces.

what's with the two holes on the heels?

Big thanks to Chicken and GregNYC for answering my questions about boots. So I finally purchased some boots, getting use to it pretty well. Just maybe a half a size big, though half a size down might be too tight.

look pretty good, put on some insoles and it will def. help.