Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

^^The quality looks pretty good. But I have to agree with everyone here that it looks like a bunch of copied styles. But as long as its well made, I aint complaining. The wing tips looks uninspired though. Being more of dress boot, there are so many shoemakers that make them awesome (see Skye's, Stow's above). So I think if you're going to make a wing tip boot, its has to more special than usual.

I'd like to point out a few things..

I'm sure many of you won't believe me when i say this, but yesterday was the first time EVER i'd clicked on this thread title, and that was only because somebody called Self Edge to ask if they could buy the Patina boots now, to which i questioned where they'd even seen them and they said within this thread.. So copying styles within this thread isn't something we did, at least not on purpose.

Regarding copying popular styles, these are styles that have been done by hundreds of companies, it's really not very different than doing a 5-pocket jean, it's practically public domain now considering it's such a commonly used style of garment.

We're also not looking to produce reproductions, that's why you're seeing some odd accents on some of the boots that some purists might not dig.

All the boots are made either in San Francisco or Long Island, the design is done here in SF..

To the comment about a "one stop shop".. This is a completely seperate project not in any way related to Self Edge, it's a standalone store we're opening two blocks from SE.

We're carrying six lines..

Wild Child (a line by Samuel de Goede [Cotton Duck] and myself)

Patina (a line by me..)

Dry Bones

Skull

Flat Head

Clipper's

Buzz Rickson (& William Gibson)

The first two lines are fully customizable, you can even choose a boot and pick out your cordovan and we'll produce it for you within 6 weeks. Also, we'll have in-house aging services, pick out a boot and for an extra cost we'll make it look however you'd like.

There's lots of things planned and hopefully i won't die from exhaustion before it all comes together this summer.

^^The quality looks pretty good. But I have to agree with everyone here that it looks like a bunch of copied styles. But as long as its well made, I aint complaining. The wing tips looks uninspired though. Being more of dress boot, there are so many shoemakers that make them awesome (see Skye's, Stow's above). So I think if you're going to make a wing tip boot, its has to more special than usual.

True but frankly I would not compare an old established mid-higher end manufacturer such as C&J to what Kiya is offering. Now if they could get close to copying the sleekness of the aforementioned, guess who's VISA would cry unkle ;)

I'm sure many of you won't believe me when i say this, but yesterday was the first time EVER i'd clicked on this thread title, and that was only because somebody called Self Edge to ask if they could buy the Patina boots now, to which i questioned where they'd even seen them and they said within this thread.. So copying styles within this thread isn't something we did, at least not on purpose.

Regarding copying popular styles, these are styles that have been done by hundreds of companies, it's really not very different than doing a 5-pocket jean, it's practically public domain now considering it's such a commonly used style of garment.

We're also not looking to produce reproductions, that's why you're seeing some odd accents on some of the boots that some purists might not dig.

All the boots are made either in San Francisco or Long Island, the design is done here in SF..

To the comment about a "one stop shop".. This is a completely seperate project not in any way related to Self Edge, it's a standalone store we're opening two blocks from SE.

Patina (a line by me..)

Dry Bones

Skull

Flat Head

Clipper's

The first two lines are fully customizable, you can even choose a boot and pick out your cordovan and we'll produce it for you within 6 weeks. Also, we'll have in-house aging services, pick out a boot and for an extra cost we'll make it look however you'd like.

There's lots of things planned and hopefully i won't die from exhaustion before it all comes together this summer.

That certainly sounds interesting, curious to see the results of some customised articles.

I’m confused is this thread about shoes that look better with age? Or is it about shoe companies that have been in business for more than 100 years?

I’m a little surprised how much flack Kiya’s taking for introducing a new brand of custom locally-built boots with features like leather welts, leather soles, horse butt and Cat Paws. This should be a “shoes that look better with age†wet dream. Or is it that they cost less than $500?

I’m confused is this thread about shoes that look better with age? Or is it about shoe companies that have been in business for more than 100 years?

I’m a little surprised how much flack Kiya’s taking for introducing a new brand of custom locally-built boots with features like leather welts, leather soles, horse butt and Cat Paws. This should be a “shoes that look better with age†wet dream. Or is it that they cost less than $500?

As far as I see, it was not flak but mostly valid criticism and feedback. Something that Kiya's project I would assume would need to develop and expand as time goes on. What he takes to heart is completely up to what he feels would be necessary to satisfy his targetted demographic; our feedback may be of help OR it may be antithetical to his core demographic's needs...

Oh and the Whites/Wesco workboots (which I don't like, anyway) are under $500, AFAIK ;)

This is a very good point - throughout the 20th century these work-boots have been made by many many manufacturers. The styles are totally public domain, even if only a few makers still make styles like this any more. I'm only too glad to have more to choose from!

i think the concerns many of us have in this thread is weather kiya's new lineup is on par with our faves: white's, aldens, c&js, trickers, red wings, wescos, etc.

last thing we want is an okay knock-off, therefore the skeptism. but from the pics they're looking good. as soon as someone like gregnyc endorses a pair after checking their comfort, durability, last and price point, their popularity could spike around here.

Buzz Rickson shoes soon within reach.

Kiya, are you following this? Are the Rickson/Gibson shell chukkas heading your way? If so, what is the last they're built upon, so I can get myself fitted. And pricewise, what are we looking at; the $575 of Alden, or less expensive? You don't have to be firm in your price quote, just balllpark that bad boy. Thanks.

Buzz Rickson shoes soon within reach.

Kiya, are you following this? Are the Rickson/Gibson shell chukkas heading your way? If so, what is the last they're built upon, so I can get myself fitted. And pricewise, what are we looking at; the $575 of Alden, or less expensive? You don't have to be firm in your price quote, just balllpark that bad boy. Thanks.

I'll have exact prices on the line next week when i'm in Japan.. Also, we're carrying the entire line of boots/shoes from Buzz Rickson, every model. Same with Dry Bones and Skull, and everything by Flat Head that isn't astronomically priced.

I'll have exact prices on the line next week when i'm in Japan.. Also, we're carrying the entire line of boots/shoes from Buzz Rickson, every model. Same with Dry Bones and Skull, and everything by Flat Head that isn't astronomically priced.

sooo you're not carrying flat head?

looking forward to this new venture. i'm sure it'll be a big success.

sooo you're not carrying flat head?

looking forward to this new venture. i'm sure it'll be a big success.

We are, just not the stuff that's over $1k.. which is about half the line.

How did you come up with the idea of starting your own brand of boots and from where did you drew inspiration to the designs?

When you say cordovan, do you mean shell cordovan or just horsehide? What other leather options will you have?

My only critic would be the black boots you are wearing the sc x mister freedom thread looks like an exact copy of whites semi dress which is more than just reproducing a style of boot.

Patina (a line by me..)

Dry Bones

Skull

Flat Head

Clipper's

Kiya - The boots look great. I'll definitely order a pair when things get going. I know things are still in development right now, but I have a few questions that I hope you, or maybe Cotton could answer...

- Will you be accepting foot tracings for out of state customers?

- Is the height of the boot customizable?

- I know Madmax asked this also, but when you say cordovan, do you mean shell cordovan or horsehide?

Fre$co - Those look amazing. Somehow, they look even better on your feet than in the first pic you posted.

That I'd like to know as well

And do you have a price quote for those shoes?

I'd like to know on the wing tip boots.

So when are you putting on these services ?

thanks for answering

How did you come up with the idea of starting your own brand of boots and from where did you drew inspiration to the designs?

When you say cordovan, do you mean shell cordovan or just horsehide? What other leather options will you have?

My only critic would be the black boots you are wearing the sc x mister freedom thread looks like an exact copy of whites semi dress which is more than just reproducing a style of boot.

those cap-toes actually look very nice, curious to see more about them in the future... if there are customizing options, can you choose between a cuban heel or no cuban heel? (I know I'm not the only one not liking the cuban heels on white's semi dress)

oh and abit of a weird question in this thread, but Kiya, will you also stock the skulls sneakers? (like the new balance collab)

If you can, try to find a pic of Rickson's suede service boot "M43" (there must be one around here somewhere). Gorgeous. As close as you'll come in this life to a boot with a true Steve McQueen vibe. It has the usual Rickson fetishistic attention to detail. It would look great with cords, moleskin, khaki, and denim, and though I might be concerned about dye rubbing off on the suede, this boot kills.

http://www.buzzricksons.jp/product/others-0004.html[/url

Seems Kiya has persuaded Buzz to produce sizes beyond 9.5. Are you paying attention History Preservation?

wheres that Dick?

Edmond, and I won't remove your name this time even when you PM me to ask, you're going to get yourself banned again if you don't stop being a Dick to everyone.

History preservation has a lot of classic military clothing. Doesn't really seem to fit your style and you'll pay cheaper going through your hombre at take 5.

A leather care question: what's a good regimen for cleaning/polishing a shoe like the Red Wing GT?

Those Patina really do look like the GT's, only with a zipper! I hope this question doesn't seem prying, but why would someone choose them over the GT when the Patinas are actually quite a bit more expensive?