Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Just got a pair of rw 9011's a few days ago, and then happened upon a pair of wolverine 1000 miles in a thrift shop just today. They're kinda worn in, leather's pretty soft (at least compared to the red wings) and the soles are scuffed. Got them for $80. Pretty pricey for a used pair, I know, but I had to have them. I don't think cheep knows how lucky he is to have thrift shops that sell Aldens for $10.

p.s. The wolverines came with a shoemart shoehorn, an embroidered polishing rag, and 'montana pitch-blend water repellent leather dressing' (blend of pine pitch, mink oil and beeswax). Anyone know if it's good to use? I've heard mink oil is bad for leather in the long run.

boooots2.jpg

boooots.jpg

I didn't really know where to ask this, but I guess this would fit the question. I'm looking into a pair of Red Wing 875's and I was wondering how'd they fit. I read somewhere that you're supposed to go a whole size down from your normal size? Like I'm a 12 in vans, I need a size 11?

All I use anymore is mink oil. When I use stuff with wax like Obenaufs, I always seem to end up with cracking on the wrinkles.

I didn't really know where to ask this, but I guess this would fit the question. I'm looking into a pair of Red Wing 875's and I was wondering how'd they fit. I read somewhere that you're supposed to go a whole size down from your normal size? Like I'm a 12 in vans, I need a size 11?

well i'm a 10.5 in my vans LPE and i do wear a us9 in my red wings...

My Custom Jobmasters are here. Only took 3 weeks to complete after the mid-sole fitting was done. So far - the fit is good. I want to wear them for a while before making any final judgments. Been wearing them with some smart wool socks - thicker than regular socks but nothing extreme.

Question on treating the leather. Boots came with some WESCO Bee Oil - does it make any sense applying this now, or just wear them and treat them when they 'need' treating??

Will post pics soon. If they work out well - I'd love to work with WESCO to build a shoe or low boot. I don't love the JH Classics but if they would be willing to modify a bit - I'd be all over it. Love to get something similar to the White's Retro Oxfords or Semi-Dress...

Congratulations on the pickup. You definitely do not need to apply Bee Oil on to new boots. Only do so if they start to look dry. One thing I recommend is to brush them off every time you finish wearing them. Keeps them nice longer. Also you should give them a coating of oil if you intend to store them for the summer. Other than that, these boots can take a lot of abuse.

I guess some1 got both Whites and Wesco. :)

May i ask what is better in terms of durability / quality?

Or this is pointless question...

However, the problem is what right now i got money only for one custom-made pair, and i doon't know wich brand to choose. :(

+1 on the oil... just cause they're new doesn't mean they have been treated.

and as to Whites vs. Wesco... it's like Levi's vs. Lee's.

and as to Whites vs. Wesco... it's like Levi's vs. Lee's.

A ye understandable :)

Seems like i need both (after some time will pass).

i'm kinda new to work / vintage boots world, got only redwings atm, so that's why i'm asking some noobish questions.

Thank you.

Btw, just saw this Wesco on some asian site:

http://www.wretch.cc/blog/cherryjuice/26505716

It says "Wesco Rocker" seems like some jobmaster modification.

Imho looks cool, close to Redwing gt.

Maybe someone got info about those boots?

Yea viberg is another option. I like "service boot" and "semi dress" models. But i never saw any evo pic of those.

Also, i read somewhere what they are making cheaper versionss somewhere in asia (vietnam or china or somewhere) and it's no-no for me.

On the other hand i heard the leather is superior. Plus they got some 8oz oil-taned leather.

Whites all day baby!! Quality is comparable, but I prefer Whites styling...

Look at Whites vs. Wesco oxfords for example...Wescos are damn fugly imo

img56434507.jpg

1203t.gif

I agree with you on the styling bit - especially with the Oxfords. But in terms of fit - and I mean 'made to measure' - i think you're gonna get a bit more individualized attention from WESCO. That was my experience.. IMO, WESCO has an edge in terms of fit, and White's has an edge in terms of styling.

Next pair for me would be a 6 inch Packer in Chromexel or Roughout. Wish they could modify the styling on the JH Classic - I think it's all about the # of eyelets. If they made an oxford with 6 eyelets - and slightly different stitching, I'd be all over it. I would order a pair ASAP..

In support of the Wesco argument, although I agree the Wesco Oxfords are a very ordinary pair of shoes. But for that style, I'd go Alden anyway. Wesco and White's mean BOOTS to me.

Custom Red Dog Jobmaster w/ unfinished sole edge. About 5 years old now, but still looking new. I need to be rougher on my shoes, or buy less of them.

P7123973.jpg

P7123972.jpg

P7123971.jpg

desu

The leather soles on my allen edmonds are wearing out, I'm wanting to get them resoled. The local shoe repair is asking $90USD for the job.... which is kind of expensive in my opinion...

I've never resoled leather soles... is this the normal price? i was under the impression that resoling would be much cheaper than the actual price of the shoes... and not 1/3 of the price of the shoes...

Considering that I did a $230 re-sole on a pair of $80 boots.... But... I think you should do whatever it takes to bring your favorite boots or shoes back to life. Just remember with all the time wearing these shoes, year after year, kicking around with them, when they finally molded to your feet, are creased in just the right spots.

If they aren't the most comfortable shoes and have no sentimental value, I wouldn't spend a dollar to fix them.

I think $90 is okay, but you can definitely find a re-sole job for about $70 elsewhere.

The leather soles on my allen edmonds are wearing out, I'm wanting to get them resoled. The local shoe repair is asking $90USD for the job.... which is kind of expensive in my opinion...

I've never resoled leather soles... is this the normal price? i was under the impression that resoling would be much cheaper than the actual price of the shoes... and not 1/3 of the price of the shoes...

If it's a reputable place - it's not a bad price. You can get a full resole done for $50 in NYC no problems. But if you want a high quality job done - then I would spend the $90.

I pay $90 to have my Alden's resoled in NYC - and I don't flinch at that. If you like the shoes - spend the $$$..

I wish I could afford those loggers! Too bad a need a fucking bicycle.