Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Okay don't everyone start flaming me.

I have a pair of Dr. Marten's that I bought in 1996 on Melrose Ave. The rep told me that it was very rare, limited edition, blah, blah, blah... Anyway, my buddy kept it for me when I moved to Hawaii and shipped it to me today.

The boot is a greased leather cap and steel toe 7 eyelet jobbie. Actually, it WAS greased leather until my buddy polished it with black shoe polish before sending it to me. Now the boot is all shiny instead of matte.

I'm sure most of you here don't care about Dr. Marten's since they're no longer cool but if anyone knows how to care for or reverse the effects of polishing greased leather, please let me know. These boots have sentimental value for me.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

damn, lots of good posts.

GregNYC - aldens, like redwings are notorious for sometimes cutting into the back of yoru heel. i had this problem with one of my boots. over time, it went away. also i placed the back part of my shoe tree a little higher up so that it would "straighten" out the heel. sorry, the indy's didn't work out for you!

partytaco - great stuff. i didn't know you were such a footwear connoisseur as well as a denim connoisseur. beautiful aldens. i like the custom stitching on the heel part. i have a pair that looks like that but without the stitching.

chicken - those redwings that greg showed look awesome. i kinda like it when redwing makes a plain toe.

lowrider - dr. martens are awesome, man. they have an incredible history and are a great boot. they look great and go perfect with a perfecto leather jacket, i think. also, the reason why doc martens were chosen by the british skinheads over other brands was because it polished so well. so, i wouldn't care so much about removing the polish. BUT, if you insist, go to the shoe store and get the mineral spirits polish remover that the shoe-shiners use. that should take off the polish.

Ok, because I've been trying to keep you up on this, the Leathersoul order is on hold. It appears that someone has been trying to play Tom's very good pre-order prices against other dealers to try and save money and the shit has hit the fan. I hope none of you guys fucked my chances at getting cordovan Indy's. :(

dammit, i hate it when greedy motherfuckers screw it up for everyone. whoever it is, if you're reading this, you fucked up man.

EDIT - i'm talking about what familyman said about the leather sole pre-orders being put on hold because some idiot tried to play them.

Damn! This pisses me, too. I'd already written during time windows in the day, but hadn't yet sent, my note to Tom about my order.

Grrrr. Such jerks. :mad:

Actually, the same is about to happen to the R.W.Williams special that is being put together. Several guys have felt the need to carry the details into other R.M.Williams dealers. Jeeez!

Well, we can talk to Tom, but we should also co-sponsor a hit on the a**hole who's done this, eh?

Damn! This pisses me, too. I'd already written during time windows in the day, but hadn't yet sent, my note to Tom about my order.

Grrrr. Such jerks. :mad:

Actually, the same is about to happen to the R.W.Williams special that is being put together. Several guys have felt the need to carry the details into other R.M.Williams dealers. Jeeez!

Well, we can talk to Tom, but we should also co-sponsor a hit on the a**hole who's done this, eh?

Are you serious? I was going to at a later point get one of the RMW SF Forum specials. #$@$%@#!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

leicalad, i would hate to get on your badside! you've seen too much with those eyes. way too much!

cats get overly-zealous and try to eat their cake and have it too, you know? i hope things will settle down soon.

Are you serious? I was going to at a later point get one of the RMW SF Forum specials. #$@$%@#!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

I haven't heard it's dead, but only that this has happened, both in Ausland and in New York. Sator is the one who expressed concern that Steve was catching flak, but didn't say it had (yet) killed the deal.

I'm still trying to figure if getting a Stockman upper on the Forum special last would make any sense. Seems like a novel idea, but it could be a total mismatch.

Anyway, it may mean needed to move on this sooner than the budget would desire.

I haven't heard it's dead, but only that this has happened, both in Ausland and in New York. Sator is the one who expressed concern that Steve was catching flak, but didn't say it had (yet) killed the deal.

I'm still trying to figure if getting a Stockman upper on the Forum special last would make any sense. Seems like a novel idea, but it could be a total mismatch.

Anyway, it may mean needed to move on this sooner than the budget would desire.

I am actually under the impression that the Stockman is limited in choices of sole and last. Better check with Steve on that to make sure. I know that a storm welt is out of the question (I inquired on that, I liked the idea of making these closer to all-weather dress or casual boots).

Right. That would make sense. Odd that no storm welt is available. Wouldn't a "stockman" want better water-proofing?

Anyway, my Grenson Ilkley's arrived today. I'll do a proper report in a day or two. I credit you for sending me in that direction. Thanks!

Right. That would make sense. Odd that no storm welt is available. Wouldn't a "stockman" want better water-proofing?

Anyway, my Grenson Ilkley's arrived today. I'll do a proper report in a day or two. I credit you for sending me in that direction. Thanks!

Yeah. Ideally I would have had them made with composite sole, storm welt and shorter straps (as I have mentioned so many times before I have spindly ankles). No way I could have known about the straps in advance though.

Regarding the Grensons, enjoy! The only thing I have found that limits their use as a proper country gentleman's boot is the fact that the brogueing needs a lot of cleaning :o:D. But they look damn nice polished up after being scuffed, the colours they take are better than anything I have seen - although admittedly I have not seen that many higher-end shoes...

I think the Grensons are my test case for what damage I might do to a pair of better cordo boots. Sorta a half price test drive. My life situation is a bit rougher on footwear than the average urban warrior. But they are a very nice color. The photos of yours are downright inspiring.

As noted elsewhere, I've really appreciated your feedback on various footwear. The Stockman's are on my RMW list, 'cause I've been to Aussieland several times and have a small collection of RWM clothes. Not so sure about the Chelsea boots, tho. They've just never done it for me.

I sure hope Tom isn't "punished" by Alden for offering group pre-orders. Frankly, it seems perfectly fair to me. But, that's just me.

Off for now. Cheers, guys!

i don't think alden cares as long as they get their $$$$$. i do think that since tom is such a good customer, he probably has developed such a great relationship with alden. they probably treat his orders with more urgency and care... but that's just my completely unqualified opinion.

i don't think alden cares as long as they get their $$$$$. i do think that since tom is such a good customer, he probably has developed such a great relationship with alden. they probably treat his orders with more urgency and care... but that's just my completely unqualified opinion.

Alden is pretty tight on how much a seller can charge for it's shoes. The steepest discount they allow is the 10% that shoemart gives twice a year (and I think BB gives on their Alden made shoes as well) My bet is that this is the hitch, Tom's pre order discount is more like 15%. If I had to guess, things will shake out ok but the discount will shrink back to 10% which is really ok with me. I'm buying the shoes because they're wonderful special shoes, the discount is icing on the cake and I appreciate it, but it isn't the deciding factor on whether I buy these shoes from Tom.

lowrider - dr. martens are awesome, man. they have an incredible history and are a great boot. they look great and go perfect with a perfecto leather jacket, i think. also, the reason why doc martens were chosen by the british skinheads over other brands was because it polished so well. so, i wouldn't care so much about removing the polish. BUT, if you insist, go to the shoe store and get the mineral spirits polish remover that the shoe-shiners use. that should take off the polish.

Miz - thanks for the information. I like these boots since they're the first pair of boots I bought in my life.

They're kinda interesting since they are a low (7 eyelet) cap toe design with the steel toe support. Most are 10 eyelets or more in this design. I'll post up pics later.

Alden is pretty tight on how much a seller can charge for it's shoes. The steepest discount they allow is the 10% that shoemart gives twice a year (and I think BB gives on their Alden made shoes as well) My bet is that this is the hitch, Tom's pre order discount is more like 15%. If I had to guess, things will shake out ok but the discount will shrink back to 10% which is really ok with me. I'm buying the shoes because they're wonderful special shoes, the discount is icing on the cake and I appreciate it, but it isn't the deciding factor on whether I buy these shoes from Tom.

ah, i see. thanks for the info, fam-man.

lowrider- I used to wear Doc Martens, since the mid 80's. The made in China DM's blow chunks- different lasts, cheaper leather. They used to be decent shoes for the money; not anymore. I'm gonna be on the lookout for some really nice shoes in the future...

What a great thread. I'm going to have to get some more boots.

Here's some pics of my Custom Wesco Boss. I was going for the Vintage 40's biker look...

boots_wide.jpg

boots_cu.jpgboots_bottom.jpg

DDML, those boots of yours are seriously gorgeous. Good work. Which last was used in their construction?

those AF60s are on the plaza last------i am wearing them now; i sprinted on icy sidewalks for a few blocks in them this morning. yesterday, i wore alden chukkas on the barrie last in the same size. i have to say that the plaza fits my feet perfectly. the barrie, not so much.