Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

If you aren't OCD, you can just say fuck it and wear the leather soles. The double leather and storm welt will most likely keep out water even though they might seem like they are getting soaked.

I was wearing my double leather soled Indy boots (and later EG Shannon) boots during the tropical storm that rolled through NYC last weekend. The issue wasn't having water soak through the soles. The issue was rather the water rolling in through the tongue / eyelet area when the water is high. Based on my experience, having a shoe with tongue bellows is really what matters most if keeping the toes dry is the main concern.

I'm considering a pair of Officine Creative Ankle-Highs...

A) Does anybody know if they have odd sizing like Butteros? They only stock full sizes, no 9.5 for me, so should I size up or size down?

B) Does anybody have experience with these? Is the quality on par with other bootmakers?

And finally: If anybody knows of /has any black lace up ankle boots similar in a size 43, PM me pweeaze!

coleslawyum: yeah, I've been hearing some problems with them...so I'm thinking of going with Butteros, as there's a Barneys nearby I can visit (LA), otherwise, any recommendations on english bootmakers?

(also yoox has Officine for ~250 or so)

Received my tricker's bourton from the factory shop today, it only took 2 days till it arrived. So, the shipping is extrordinary fast. The packing is also excellent. The only thing is, the shoe doesnt fit me. It is way too big. Althought it said 7 1/2 u.s. fitting 5 on the listing. It feel like size 7 1/2 uk. Which now i need to return it. The leather has a waxy feeling and it is pretty thick. The color is more burgundy than dark brown.

2mnnjuo.jpg

vrbqxz.jpg

compare the toe of the bourton with stow

it is a little more pointed

2wpqf6b.jpg

with dainite sole

2iw3hpd.jpg

Received my tricker's bourton from the factory shop today, it only took 2 days till it arrived. So, the shipping is extrordinary fast. The packing is also excellent. The only thing is, the shoe doesnt fit me. It is way too big. Althought it said 7 1/2 u.s. fitting 5 on the listing. It feel like size 7 1/2 uk.

Did you get the same UK size as on your other trickers?

^Great pics, sorry they didn't fit! I think it's weird that two pairs of shoes by the same maker in the same size wouldn't fit the same. But at least now you know this seller is trustworthy, and can hopefully pick up a pair in the right size at some point later on. The cordovan shoes look good, but I have to say that those the Stow in acorn are hard to beat!

Received my tricker's bourton from the factory shop today, it only took 2 days till it arrived. So, the shipping is extrordinary fast. The packing is also excellent. The only thing is, the shoe doesnt fit me. It is way too big. Althought it said 7 1/2 u.s. fitting 5 on the listing. It feel like size 7 1/2 uk. Which now i need to return it. The leather has a waxy feeling and it is pretty thick. The color is more burgundy than dark brown.

Too bad they didn't fit you.

They look very nice in the pictures, and I can see from the text in the guide that they are real shell, so it was certainly a great deal.

Did you get the same UK size as on your other trickers?

i sure did, i get the size 7uk on my stow

so i order size 7uk on the bourton which the seller refer to 7.5 U.S.

i even message him concerning the sizes, but he said it should work out fine....but it turn out too big.

I really feel like those are 7.5 uk rather than 7.5 u.s

Too bad they didn't fit you.

They look very nice in the pictures, and I can see from the text in the guide that they are real shell, so it was certainly a great deal.

yes, he told me those are shell cordovan, so what i did was retrieve my bid and just did a buy it now immediately. But too bad, no luck for me..

^Great pics, sorry they didn't fit! I think it's weird that two pairs of shoes by the same maker in the same size wouldn't fit the same. But at least now you know this seller is trustworthy, and can hopefully pick up a pair in the right size at some point later on. The cordovan shoes look good, but I have to say that those the Stow in acorn are hard to beat!

i really like it too. The reason doesnt fit the same might be it is a low cut without the ankle support. Or they actually make a mistake that is a pair of UK 7.5 instead of US 7.5. No doubt the seller is excellent, but now i just need to see the way to return it. Got the stow at first and love it, just want something darker color and low cut with brogue toe.

NOW is in supermarket, anyone wants buy from me?

Finally got to see White's Semi-Dress in person...my neighbor Western Classics just got their stock in...so for you guys in Hawaii, check them out. Ask for Bob the owner...923-1294. He has them in smaller sizes in black and brown. Ask for a kama'aina discount.

I wear a 9D in the Indy Boot and tried on the 9E in the Semi-Dress. Maybe a tad wide for my liking, but size wise ok.

I'm wearing SDA-003s in the picture:

white.jpg

2mnnjuo.jpg

with dainite sole

2iw3hpd.jpg

Great Shoes FBF- the depth of the colour, and the smoothness, certainly look liek cordovan to me! I really like the Dainite sole- my guess is this is a brand name, like Cat's Paw or Vibram in the US. I've only ever seen it with that script branding, and MADE IN ENGLAND round the heel- like someone else said before about CP, I love the old-school feel it gives to the shoes. Practical too. Anyone know anything more about Dainite? It sounds like a patented rubber formula (like Bakelite etc). Any info much appreciated:)

Sorry about the sizing- it would seem strange if a UK company manufacturing and selling out of England would put US sizes on their shoes. so my guess is that this is a UK7.5 like you thought, and there was just a mixup with the vendor- good luck with the resize!

The only thing that bothers me about these is the Cordovan booklet you got with them. It's great when companies include this kind of thing, but on this one the English is really bad- like it was written by someone for whom (being careful now:D) English wasn't their first language. "trouble-less for the health", "a pair of shoe", "fiber (American rather than British English)", "unique flavour (British English) and a gloss". :confused:

Seems strange... on the other hand, the shoes arrived, and look very good- you're happy they're genuine right? Branding and workmanship look the same as your Stowes?

qv6q.jpg

^White's are seen as having a higher level of workmanship than RW, and the SDs cost $100+ more than the GTs. The SDs have a wider welt, the tapered heel, a higher arch, 6 eyelets (vs. 7 on the GT), and are available with an all-leather sole along with other customizable options. More here:

Red Wings GT vs. White's Semi-dress

Ace- thanks Ichiran. Super informative and helpful as always!:)

Hi Edmond-

I have the same thing on one side of my AF53s. BEcause both models are Derby's (the quaters sit on top of the fronts, not tucked under like on an Oxford), this seems to be a sensitive area, because the stitch line has to stop and be back-tacked, which is less secure than running it off under another panel.

Alden's in my experience seem to be a bit rougher than more sophisticatedly-made boots, more jeansy, but that to me is their charm. I can't see that there's any stress on this point while walking, so I can;t see it coming apart. I'm thinking of it in the way I would about the loose threads or broken stitches on a pair of repro jeans- it all adds to the charm.

If you;re worried about, Alden's service seems pretty great, so you could get in touch, or I'm sure a decent cobbler could fix them up for you (maybe not the ones round Central MTR!)

I'm planning on leaving it until mine need resoling in a couple of years and I send them off to Alden for a refurb.

Hi Edmond-

I have the same thing on one side of my AF53s. BEcause both models are Derby's (the quaters sit on top of the fronts, not tucked under like on an Oxford), this seems to be a sensitive area, because the stitch line has to stop and be back-tacked, which is less secure than running it off under another panel.

Alden's in my experience seem to be a bit rougher than more sophisticatedly-made boots, more jeansy, but that to me is their charm. I can't see that there's any stress on this point while walking, so I can;t see it coming apart. I'm thinking of it in the way I would about the loose threads or broken stitches on a pair of repro jeans- it all adds to the charm.

If you;re worried about, Alden's service seems pretty great, so you could get in touch, or I'm sure a decent cobbler could fix them up for you (maybe not the ones round Central MTR!)

I'm planning on leaving it until mine need resoling in a couple of years and I send them off to Alden for a refurb.

thanks bill if you can tell me that they wont fall apart then ill just stick with it and just use them! thanks bud

defo not going for the sidewalk shoe guys on central haha!~

\

ed

Eddie,

Since you are so far away and shipping is quite expensive, what about waiting till they are ready for refurbishment, then taking care of it at the factory? If it starts coming apart, send them back to me, but if they are structurally ok, I think they will be fine.

(Basically what RB said)

is this true? I know cordovan is very expensive, but does it really need 2-3 horses to make a pair?

that's another thing that seemed strange to me about this tag: Alden, and "Handmade Shoes For Men" (good book http://www.amazon.co.uk/Handmade-Shoes-Men-Laszlo-Vass/dp/3833122404/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1221277222&sr=1-1) say that 1pair takes 1 horse- still a hell of a lot (I think they use the rest of the leather for other things, so not a wasted horse hopefully:D)

Eddie,

Since you are so far away and shipping is quite expensive, what about waiting till they are ready for refurbishment, then taking care of it at the factory? If it starts coming apart, send them back to me, but if they are structurally ok, I think they will be fine.

(Basically what RB said)

Glad to hear the expert confirming what I thought about my AF53s:) thanks Tom.

Great Shoes FBF- the depth of the colour, and the smoothness, certainly look liek cordovan to me! I really like the Dainite sole- my guess is this is a brand name, like Cat's Paw or Vibram in the US. I've only ever seen it with that script branding, and MADE IN ENGLAND round the heel- like someone else said before about CP, I love the old-school feel it gives to the shoes. Practical too. Anyone know anything more about Dainite? It sounds like a patented rubber formula (like Bakelite etc). Any info much appreciated:)

Seems strange... on the other hand, the shoes arrived, and look very good- you're happy they're genuine right? Branding and workmanship look the same as your Stowes?

Reasons to buy it because 1) shell cordovan 2) i want low cut brogue 3) the dainite sole.

I particularly want the dainite sole so i can experience it and see how it fare against the leather or vibram or commando. But too bad, no luck for me.

Well, i know it is genuine because i send him 4 or 5 messages confirming these are shell cordovan also as well as sizing. But guess what, i just let my brother try it on, and it fit him perfectly. And he wear one size larger than i do. So i have more reason now to believe the size must be in uk rather than us. When i push my feet all the way to the front, it has about 4 cm of room on the back. Anyway, the workmanship is just as good as stow.

Send him message regarding the return policy stuff like that..havent heard yet so i guess it is probably still early there. I dont know it is saturday over there right? So maybe they wont be open today...

but at least i can have a good look at the cordovan shoe. I really love the smell of leather...weird me...

anyway, today is not a good day...