Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

this is what I use, it's dirt cheap and I've applied it to several pairs of shoes and the little bottle is still 90% full (so a little goes a long way). if you can find this locally, I'd highly recommend just picking it up.

http://www.summitinds.com/product/lexol/lexol-leather-conditioner-200-ml.html

btw: I did a lot of research already on conditioners, reading Ask Andy and other clothing forums. Lastly, if this or some other conditioner works out for you, post some pics of the salvaged shoes.

If anyone's interested, I'm selling a couple of black cherry red wing GT's as well in size 9.5 and 10. Don't get me and turntabloid wrong, this is a fine, fine fine boot, in my case I just decided it's not the boot for me. Maybe I'll just spring for some white's or something once I move these. I haven't listed the 9.5 pair yet but if you're interested send me an offer, they've been worn about a week

Thanks MiniW, another Sufu'er funnily enough recommended conditioner too as I hear polish can dry out leather... which I think is the problem with my pair.

I'm just trying to decide on which brand now haha.

EDIT: http://www.pecard.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=Pecard&Category_Code=leathdress - which colour/product would I need :confused:

Rirawin-

From what the boots are looking like, and the description of the treatment you've given them... but without actually seeing and feeling them in person, here's my best guess.....

For the most part, the leather should be healthy and perfectly wearable for a long time to come. A good, intensive creme treatment should replenish the leather to keep it soft and from cracking further.....

Which brings us to.... the cracking.... It looks VERY superficial. My guess is that the first couple days of abuse dried up the very top layer of the leather, which then cracked, showing the lighter hide underneath. My guess is is a good treatment with a tonal matching melatonian will stain that lighter leather underneath to match the origional color. It will also provide further moisture. Once the color variation is cleaned up, you can start to think about putting some polish on them to smooth out the surface texture.

Or even take them to a reputable cobbler for a proper buffing!

Good luck, and hope to see you while you're in L.A.

Rirawin, last year I picked up some Red Wing shoe dressing from Biker Bob's in Covent Garden. Could be what you'e looking for. I seem to remember reading elsewhere - think it was the Vintage Leather Jackets forum - that it's basically Pecards relabelled for Red Wing.

some lovely shoes over this weekends pages! Particularly like Aerium;s Aldens, Rofl's GTs, and rirawin's Trickers'll look great with a tiny bit of TLC. Fattybfat's look great too- any chance of some more pics? hope the interview went well:)

I know these don;t really belong here, but i'vebeen wearing my Real McCoy's horsehide gloves most days since I got them a few weeks ago, and I gave them an oiling with Huberd's shoe grease (http://www.huberds.com/Home.html)

Huberds_031_lg.jpg

they;ve darkened up a lot, and they fit much better now they've moulded to my hands.

before:

2902084024_e48857f919.jpg?v=0

and so far:

2977256427_acd1746e12.jpg?v=0

2978113506_1f8ca34b7f.jpg?v=0

2977236535_8565213c96.jpg?v=0

sorry the new photos look a bit blue- I took them by the window. in fact they;re darker and richer than that. Certainly much darker than they were originally

awesome gloves, i like that leather strap. where to kop/how much, if i may ask?

thanks Lenn:) i got them from the Real McCoy's shop in Dakanyama Tokyo, so not very helpful I'm afraid... Can't remember how many yen, but they worked out at around 70pounds. They came in a cool bag too!2901241231_1c840105e6.jpg?v=0

2902083526_0dcb052cdb.jpg?v=0

is anybody here an expert on Polo Ralph Lauren's line of laceups? They show up periodically on eBay for decent prices and I was a little curious about them. I was hoping to find a simple chestnut colored plaintoe blucher that I can wear casually...

In my humble opinion... shoe creams and polish are fine to use and are an integral part of the shoe care process. I've personally not seen any evidence that shoe polish really dries out the leather. I think leather conditioners are good as well, but I would stay away from the silicone based ones.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Just got a response from Trickers...

Seems to go against what some of you are saying hah. I have a tub of neutral cream, not sure how "intense" that is, so I'll give that a go first before investing in conditioner...

Will be in London this weekend so I'll be sure to check out Bikers Bob, I may get a tub anyway in case the cream doesn't work out.

Hey Rirawin, I think any cream conditioner will help bring life back into your Tricker's. But I'm afraid there's not much you can do about the creases yourself as it takes some cobbling skills to iron out leather. There are some online guides on how to do it, but I would advise against them. It can be done (and done well) if you find the right shoe-man. Personally, I think they look better with the creases.

In the meantime, to help with the dryness, you might want to try Dr. Jackson's Hide Rejuvenator...its contains a little more oil than your standard conditioners which should help your thirsty shoes...and its dirt cheap!

I've used it before on old dried out leathers and had really good results. Tandy carries it too so its easy to get a hold of some...not sure about outside North America tho:

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/products.asp?Dept=140

Good luck!

is anybody here an expert on Polo Ralph Lauren's line of laceups? They show up periodically on eBay for decent prices and I was a little curious about them. I was hoping to find a simple chestnut colored plaintoe blucher that I can wear casually...

can you provide a pics so maybe i can help with the sizing.

RodeoBill:

the glove darken alot and it certainly will age nicely. I dont have any leather glove personally but maybe i will get some in the future.

Rirawan:

Go with what Tricker's said if you do not wish to use conditioner now but i think using a colored shoe cream rather than netural seems better. Let us know how everything turn out.

^ it's more of an overall assessment I'm looking for. Are they any good? Comfy? How does the sizing go? And what's a fair price for them? I've heard that some of them were done by C&J, but I'm assuming those are more rare these days

here's one example I was looking at the other day (not my size, but you get the idea):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ralph-lauren-polo-mens-wing-dress-shoes-11-5-NIB-new_W0QQitemZ250311227131QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item250311227131&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

^ it's more of an overall assessment I'm looking for. Are they any good? Comfy? How does the sizing go? And what's a fair price for them? I've heard that some of them were done by C&J, but I'm assuming those are more rare these days

here's one example I was looking at the other day (not my size, but you get the idea):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ralph-lauren-polo-mens-wing-dress-shoes-11-5-NIB-new_W0QQitemZ250311227131QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item250311227131&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

I have 2 pairs of Ralph Lauren shoes from this same collection. I've got a Chukkha style shoe and a pair of Chelsea style boots. They fit true to size. They are very comfortable and the quality is exceptional for the price. I got both of my pairs for $100-$120 each. I definitely would recommend them. They're much higher quality than my Allen Edmonds that I have for work. I'd say they're closer in quality to my Costume National shoes.

That's a very good price for those shoes. They're from the Ralph Lauren Collection and are made in Italy (not sure by whom). These shoes probably retailed for around $400

those look gorgeous. :)

well, regarding sizing...my ralph lauren shoe, which is on the last page or two. Is size U.S. 7.5 D which i normally wear 8D in RW boot. So i will say they fit true to size since it is a shoe not a boot. Seems to me that the sole are dainite sole but with ralph lauren stamps on it. Done by C&J, i dont know, but guess u can ask the seller where was it made. Mine is handmade in England and is dressier than that one you shown. but i doubt the wingstip one is done by C&J. But the quaility from Ralph lauren should be pretty good. At least for the current price.

The last chapter of my irregular 405s:

I came home today to a package from Alden, it was my replacement 405s! Tried them on, and holy cow, night and day compared to the last pair. The speed hooks are all where they're supposed to be, so no more ankle pain. What's even better, the width is almost spot on for my feet. I say almost because there about 1~2mm worth of space on each side of the ball of my feet, but I threw in a set of gel inserts (horrible stuff I know, but I'll get proper inserts soon) and the boots now fit like a glove. The boot's arch snugly supports my foot's arch, heel support is snug, and the ball of my feet are firmly supported but not being clamped or squeezed. Truly one of, if not the most, form-fitting and comfortable non-sneaker/casual shoes I've ever worn.

To satisfy my own curiosity, I unscientifically measured my own feet. Since Brannock devices cost a fair sum, I made pencil traces and put them to the ruler. I measure in at 8EE or 8EEE. Taking into account the 405s run half a size large, the 7.5 is spot on. I guess the Alden NYC store was squeezing me into widths that were simply too small for me, cramping up my feet in addition to the offset speed hooks.

I'll be wearing my 405s with inserts, since I found the direct rubber->leather->foot contact a bit jarring when walking around the NYC pavement with my original 405s. With a pair of 405s that are of proper size for my feet and of good construction, I now see why most people have a love affair with theirs. Kudos to the Alden factory, they now have one very satisfied customer who will most likely return for more!

^ seem better than what i have right now, which is sheepskin, anyway, it reminds me of birkenstock footbed.

by the way, cork should be more sturdy correct? i have try leather insole by meltonian but it bend while walking...

i might try this one out...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cork-Insole-Sweat-Odor-Eater-Shoe-Insert-24571b_W0QQitemZ250309179876QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item250309179876&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

it is thinner compare to the filson one. Anyone has recommendation for a thin leather insole that wont bend.

Akilae:

Good to hear that, so is eveything free or did you pay? including shipping?

I paid for shipping there, and they took care of everything else. No "exchange fee", no questions about the creases and slightly scuffed hells. Shipping isn't too bad, and right now I'm happy enough to let 10 bucks UPS Ground slide past. If I wanted to run a tally of the money the first pair of shoes cost me in transportation, I probably spent the better part of 20 bucks on the Alden NYC store with no results (thank goodness for unlimited-ride metro cards!).

^^^ so your shoes a couple of pages back were ralph lauren? It'd be great to see some closer-up photos if you have time

here for you rodeo bill and jubei if you want to look and compare it with the one on ebay. This is label as the chestnut color. But it has darken alot since i bought it. It used to be kind of orange like the trickers but now is more like brown. Give it a good shine today. Lexol cleaner, lexol conditioner and finally applied meltonian cream. I really like this pair, it is my first real leather shoe. 7 or 9 years ago. my mom said is too old for my age at that time. But i told her it is a must buy for that price and never regret buying it. One thing that amaze me the most is the gold printing inside the shoe. It is still very shiny and show no sign of fading. Compare to my trickers, it disappear already. Hope this is not too many pics here.

2nbgbpc.jpg

2u6lm53.jpg

wki6gm.jpg

5nua2o.jpg

2sabekh.jpg