Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

I just received my White's Semi Dress and I love them, they are remarkably comfortable right out of the box. I was a bit apprehensive hearing the comments about the arch but I think it feels great. I ordered them in my Alden Indy size through Baker's and the fit is spot on without the custom sizing process.

It is a boot heavy thread at the moment, I think because it is in superdenim it's quite workwear/boot oriented and dress shoes are a little overlooked. I know Greg has some lovely C&J shoes and Amlai has some stunning shoes, but recenly it's all been white's semi-dress, alden indies and cat's paw soles around here.

Here are some shoes - I don't have too many!

Allen Edmunds Leeds

shoes.leeds.gif

Crockett & Jones Cliffords

337.front.gif

337.splay.gif

337.sole.gif

Greg how are the superleather indies coming along? any wear on the soles yet? Did you get a chance to stop by Eleven yet? My whites have landed in NYC now and will be coming across the atlantic in a few weeks.

The Superleather Indies - I've only worn then a few times, waiting for some weather that didn't threaten some rain. So not too much wear to report. They weigh less than they did out the box with the neoprene soles, and aren't as slippery on the ground as I'd thought.

Removed the old polish with some baby oil and ethanol. Tried again using Kiwi Dark Tan (instead of the more expensive Waparoo neutral wax I was using). Much slower, with a lot less polish. Took my time too, about 2 hours of polishing. Pleased with the result.

whites01.jpg

Much better than my first effort.

IMG_0235.jpg

What they looked like before the polish, out of the box.

boot09.jpg

Had all my gear out, thought I'd do my RMW boots as well while watching Season 3 of House on DVD.

rmwilliams01.jpg

With Kiwi Mid Tan.

rmwilliams02.jpg

With 5 coats of Kiwi Black and about 5 coats of Kiwi Parade Gloss.

^Both looking good! The RMW hide takes really well to polish, doesn't it!

Very. And the Kiwi works really well. Much better than the RMW polish. I had to experiment a little with which shade of Kiwi I liked best for the chestnut. The black was easy enough.

^^ agreed, the polish jobs are spot on.

Speaking of polishing, has anyone tried using a wet sponge to apply polish to their shoes? I read about this technique on Ask Andy a while back and tried it, I am definitely going to keep on doing it.

Before I was applying polish (black kiwi mostly) with a paper towel, it took a bit of time and I was using a considerable amount of the stuff. The theory of the wet sponge is that you wet it with warm/hot water, and when you mix it with polish the warmth of the water softens the polish and it can work its way better on the leather. I also found that the sponge takes up a lot less polish but is able to spread it very evenly on the shoe. In the end I got some mirror looking shines in very little time and with a lot less polish. The trade off is that you can polish the shoes more often since it takes so much less time and polish. For those that don't think water and polish will mix, think of it as a different way of "spit shining."

Anyways if anyone is tired of the current way of polishing their shoes and is looking for a new way to try I really recommend it. I just used any normal kitchen sponge and it worked great for me. Cheers.

Since Polish is hot topic right now:

Check out Angelus Shoe Polish Company, out of Cerritos CA.... They are an origional leather care company out of California since 1907!! They make all of their Polish's on site, and use only natural ingredients. There are like ten difference colors they make, way more than your typical Kiwi offerings..(We're talking, Cordovan, Oxblood, Navy, Green, Red, White, Mahogany, Tan......). They also have an entire line of leather stains, luster cremes (think Melatonian, but cheaper.....Angelus used to even manufacture for Melatonian on occasion, when small batches of particular colors were needed), acrilic shiner, shoe stretcher spray...etc......

They're not more money than Kiwi, but far superior in terms of quality. AND you get to support a family run business! I had the pleasure of taking a tour of the warehouse and adjacent factory....super super cool, and everyone there was incredibly friendly and knew their product!

I picked up paste wax in every color they made.... you never know when you'll need it!

http://angelusshoepolish.com/

Speaking of polishing, has anyone tried using a wet sponge to apply polish to their shoes? I read about this technique on Ask Andy a while back and tried it, I am definitely going to keep on doing it.

Before I was applying polish (black kiwi mostly) with a paper towel, it took a bit of time and I was using a considerable amount of the stuff. The theory of the wet sponge is that you wet it with warm/hot water, and when you mix it with polish the warmth of the water softens the polish and it can work its way better on the leather. I also found that the sponge takes up a lot less polish but is able to spread it very evenly on the shoe. In the end I got some mirror looking shines in very little time and with a lot less polish. The trade off is that you can polish the shoes more often since it takes so much less time and polish. For those that don't think water and polish will mix, think of it as a different way of "spit shining."

I used to use those wedge facial sponges that make-up artists use. I may go back to that if I ever buy any fancy shoes, but I just use a rag for my boots. One thin coat rubbed into the entire boot and buffed back with a brush. Then I use wet cotton balls with a little bit of polish to build up the toe cap and heel area. I rub the polish back with cotton balls soaked in water with a little bit of alcohol (to help it dry quicker). I do about 5-10 very thin coats. The last two rub downs are done with a cotton ball with only a couple of dabs of water/alcohol mix, so when you rub the polish, there's only the slightest drag. Just keep rubbing in a circular motion until a glassy finish emerges. Well, that's how I do it.

so south africa is like only a second world country now, right?

which means whenever I go on holiday any where other than cape town (where I live, the most 1st world city in africa) I make sure I get to mission around small towns on the way. They're like goldmines (of vintage gear)

so anyway a few months ago i stopped in an old colonial sort of ancient town and popped in to the salvation army store where they had a whole range of old cowboy type oldschool stuff and I picked up a pair of shoes for ten rand.

the equivalent of about one euro.

I'll post a pic tomorrow.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=818330&l=d58d8&id=538048652

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=818331&l=6ffed&id=538048652

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=818332&l=0743a&id=538048652

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=818333&l=5c634&id=538048652

Sorry about the blurred photos.

There are inscriptions on the inside about being made in Nashville, Tennessee. Considering I bought these in the middle of nowhere, and that the Label/Brand is "Jarman" does anyone have any clues or info about them.

I've given them no polishing or cleaning, because I liked how old and messy they were. and I gave them a bit of black polish once, to darken them but it's worn off a bit, adding to the mess. I am getting new laces for them though.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=818330&l=d58d8&id=538048652

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=818331&l=6ffed&id=538048652

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=818332&l=0743a&id=538048652

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=818333&l=5c634&id=538048652

Sorry about the blurred photos.

There are inscriptions on the inside about being made in Nashville, Tennessee. Considering I bought these in the middle of nowhere, and that the Label/Brand is "Jarman" does anyone have any clues or info about them.

I've given them no polishing or cleaning, because I liked how old and messy they were. and I gave them a bit of black polish once, to darken them but it's worn off a bit, adding to the mess. I am getting new laces for them though.

jesus! those are sooo nice. if its like it sounds like, that you can find alot more of this stuff, why not start selling on ebay or something? i think there is a big interest for this old kind of quality clothing/shoes. i know i'd buy something like these shoes you've got tthere. and for the price... buy some for me! anyone on this forum would pay at least 50 times the price you payed.

I probably should get some more and sell them off.

But I'm not too interested in selling stuff that I find, I mean I'd rather sell stuff that I make and keep the vintage stuff for myself.

It's also quite a mission because it would involve driving all over the country to backward little towns.

Chaps, I have a dilema....

Since I just sent my slightly too narrow Trickers Stow to their new owner, I have a wingtip boot sized gap in my life. I have a number of options open to me in order to rectify this and your input would be greatly appreciated. I can't make the decision alone.

1. Crockett & Jones Skye in antiqued chestnut. I love these boots, the leather is superior to that of Trickers and the price is higher. I'm not sure of the colour in real life as Gregs and Synthis pictures look totally different.

Cost £315 and an easy purchase.

2. Trickers Stow in a wider fitting off the shelf. These will be £250 or so from the London shop and the choice of colours is wider than that of C&J but the shape and leather are definitely 2nd to C&J in my opinion.

3. Custom order Trickers Stow from Northampton. I had in mind an antiqued burgundy/oxblood leather with perhaps a natural welt (storm or flat) on a double leather sole. I will ask about plates on the sole too. Maybe a V plate like Gregs indies.

Cost is a reasonable £350 direct from the factory but it means taking a day off to drive up there.

Finally I could struggle with an order from Alden of carmel for either the plain toe boots in no. 8 cordovan or their tan wing tips in calf. I'm not even sure if this is possible or not because I don't know if they accept international orders.

Sorry for the essay, any thoughts?

From what I've seen of the quality of workmanship, I'd definitely prefer C & J, then Trickers, then Alden in that order.

I agree, i do however prefer the looks on most aldens over the other if they are supposed to be worn with jeans.

Both Alden of carmel and the Alden shop in San Fransisco ships international.

Hello all,

I would need some help with the sizing of some Alden Indy's.

My feet are 26,6 cm ( 10,5 inches) long. I usually wear a 42,5 or 43 in Europe. With Redwings I'm comfortable with 9, the 9,5 is just a little bit to big for me.

What size should I choose for Indys? I don't own any Aldens yet.

Thanks in advance,

Heinrich