Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Finally just pulled the trigger on some White's Jumpers. Bit ed's steez with the brown roughout. Pics to follow in 3-5 weeks (hopefully 3).

Gonna go sob away my buyers remorse now;)

I hate that feeling. Everything is going good, you put in all the effort to find out all the small details, you make the order, pay for it, then hang up the phone and about 30 minutes later your like, "Fuck did I really need another pair of boots, jeans, shirt (insert clothing item here)." Then you get them and it feels a bit better.

Yes I definitely got my GTs resoled by my man at Hukurokuju. Considering I bought the shoes in the SF market for $80, my resole cost way more than the boots. But who said love was ever cheap?

Of course it's kind of retarded to send your boots halfway around the globe to get them resoled. And I'm sure there's someone local that can do this sort of job but I haven't found him or her yet.

I don't have to explain shit to the guys at Fukurokuju. They just get what I'm looking for. I've gotten resoles on 5 of my boots and I've been more than happy every time. Most of all, he's a friend, so I enjoy supporting my friend's business.

Anyway, I still highly recommend them even though it does cost a little more.

EDIT: he has an email on his site that you can reach him. He'll give you the price in yen along with the cost of shipping.

how do you get in contact with this guy? and how expensive is it?

His name is Takeshi Okuyama [email protected] and he quoted me around $300 for Cat's Paw Soles. I don't know if it included shipping, though.

He asks you to send him a picture from his blog of what you want done and he'll send you a quote. Simple as that, but at the time, I just wan't comfortable sending my $900 pair of Buco's to him. I'll pull the trigger some time soon, but just don't know which boots I'll send.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!!

^anyone know a US-based cobbler that can duplicate that level of craftsmanship? The work he does on those White's is pretty unreal.

I had this shop in Spokane WA recommended to me (passed by but they were closed), but I'm not sure if they're on 'that' level.

xxbf7.jpg

I definitely don't think there is anyone in the states that will put that much effort into a boot. Most cobblers in the states that rebuild work boots deal mainly with working class dudes that just need it to be functional. It doesn't make sense to rebuild a boot for the same price as the boot to most people. On the other hand, if I had some nice vintage boots with the sole completely tore up, I would definitely spend $300 on new soles or if I had a pair of boots that I have had for some time and became attached to I would have no problem throwing some cash at them.

Worse - $300 soles on $80 boots. (not knocking coleslaw, the results look amazing regardless of how much the boots cost)

Agree with you switch, throwback/fashion minded cobblers haven't really started to crop up in the US - yet. But based on the type of shit Bakers is selling and the vintage/workwear explosion happening right now, it shouldn't be very long.

Most of the 'Lifestyle' Line Redwings are built on these lasts and almost all of them are only built in D Width. Certainly cuts down on the options when you consider that most of the Redwings I like are on one of these two lasts.

Anyone know how roomy last #8 and #23 tend to be? Do they have a remove-able footbed? I wear 9.5EE in Alden and trying to see if anything in Redwind Lifestyle will fit me.

Their standard line of workboots, which I find less aesthetically pleasing, have plenty of options in EE, EEE, EEEE, etc...

Thanks, Mike147

Most of the 'Lifestyle' Line Redwings are built on these lasts and almost all of them are only built in D Width. Certainly cuts down on the options when you consider that most of the Redwings I like are on one of these two lasts.

Anyone know how roomy last #8 and #23 tend to be? Do they have a remove-able footbed? I wear 9.5EE in Alden and trying to see if anything in Redwind Lifestyle will fit me.

Their standard line of workboots, which I find less aesthetically pleasing, have plenty of options in EE, EEE, EEEE, etc...

Thanks, Mike147

I own 4 pairs,8138,1907,1908 and 9011.according to this german RW side http://www.red-wing-shoes.de/index.htm

they are all using last #23,which i find a bit confusing,as the 1907 runs clearly shorter and wider( only modell that came with a removeable insole) than the 8138,while 1908 and 9011 are a bit narrower and longer.

i never wore any shoes in the E widths,but i know for sure that my feet are fairly wide and i have no problems at all fitting a D width in RW.

try contacting viberg themselves. I think you can get custom stuff through them.