Pure Blue Jeans XX-005

ianpalermo

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're gonna soak them though, right? :confused:

Well, I have read and re-read this thread several times and found that there are quite widely varying views on the fit and shrinkage with these.

I bought a 32 based on BIG's size chart but mine came up a little smaller than I expected, the waist only 33", but I knew they were slim in the legs.

My dilemma is whether to risk a brief cold soak and how much I will lose off the length as they fit ok with stacking.

The waist has stretched a bit but I couldn't risk losing much if any off the thighs.

I expect some would say return them and size up but I love them as they are and couldn't be bothered to do that.

Well, I have read and re-read this thread several times and found that there are quite widely varying views on the fit and shrinkage with these.

I bought a 32 based on BIG's size chart but mine came up a little smaller than I expected, the waist only 33", but I knew they were slim in the legs.

My dilemma is whether to risk a brief cold soak and how much I will lose off the length as they fit ok with stacking.

The waist has stretched a bit but I couldn't risk losing much if any off the thighs.

I expect some would say return them and size up but I love them as they are and couldn't be bothered to do that.

sit in the bathtub with them on...

If you don't soak STF jeans, all your fading/creasing will be in weird places once you finally wash them. Soaking is mandatory for jeans that aren't sanforized, unless you never plan on washing them (drycleaning, etc.). If you LOVE the fit of any STF jeans wen you try them on raw, they're too small.

With regard to the length, you should have accounted for loss when buying them, or at least the person who sold them to you should have warned you. The thighs will stretch back out, as will the waist if you give it time.

If you don't soak STF jeans, all your fading/creasing will be in weird places once you finally wash them. Soaking is mandatory for jeans that aren't sanforized, unless you never plan on washing them (drycleaning, etc.). If you LOVE the fit of any STF jeans wen you try them on raw, they're too small.

With regard to the length, you should have accounted for loss when buying them, or at least the person who sold them to you should have warned you. The thighs will stretch back out, as will the waist if you give it time.

Thanks gimme, I have been wearing STF jeans for years and depending on the fit I choose to wash some and not others. They all vary, even in the same model. I have a pair of SDA 103 that I don't wash and another pair that needed to be washed to STF.It's a risk you take when buying by mail but I'm ok with that.:) I am happy to keep the PBJ raw but I do take your point about the wear pattern. As said previously an option is the wear them in the bath method.

Thanks gimme, I have been wearing STF jeans for years and depending on the fit I choose to wash some and not others. They all vary, even in the same model. I have a pair of SDA 103 that I don't wash and another pair that needed to be washed to STF.It's a risk you take when buying by mail but I'm ok with that.:) I am happy to keep the PBJ raw but I do take your point about the wear pattern. As said previously an option is the wear them in the bath method.

So do you not plan on ever washing them?

At present that's a possibility, you sound surprised.

I like the look and feel of a sturdy pair of dark raw denim worn but not washed. :)

That's fine if you're never planning on washing them...whatever floats your boat, right? I just didn't want to see you waste your money on something that would shrink down the road and be unwearable for you.

Enjoy your jeans!

Guest The Diplomatic Aristocrat

damn I have size 28 diors that stretched a little too much, and size 26 APCs that were a little too tight. I wish they made size 27 pure blue japans, I'd buy them right now.

• 1 month later...

So I've had my XX-005s a couple of months now, and they're kinda pissing me off. I hot soaked and hang dried em a few hours when I first got them, and they shrunk up pretty well. Problem was they didnt shrink completely; the hem kinda flared out. I thought it would be fine, it would go down in the next soak, so I proceeded to wear them a while. When it came time for the first wash, I expected the hems to shrink. No luck. Months pass, many washes later, still no final shrinkage. Finally a few weeks ago, I give them a boiling hot soak for about 1.5 hours, then I add more boiling water, then I throw them in the dryer, and after all that: hems are still .75" bigger than the knee. Has this happened to anyone else, with PBJs or not?

Gimme, To be honest, I didn't even think to measure, but I don't believe it was. Unless they messed up on a few pair and cut them with a little bootcut or something.

SB: I just measured mine, and its closer to 1/2", not 3/4".

Are there any other options besides tailoring?

And a semi-related question: Would it be dumb to hem them like 3" after so many months of wear? I figure this will keep them from totally eating my slimmer shoes, since I don't really trust any of the tailors around here. I would be sending them to BIG for a chainstitch, since no-one around here does it.

The XX-005 isn't a tapered cut at all. It's a slim straight cut.

I would just get them tapered, I've thought of getting mine done before. The thighs are already pretty slim to begin with, so a taper from the knee down shouldn't look strange at all. I wouldn't even hem them as after you get them tapered it should stack much nicely.

Gimme, To be honest, I didn't even think to measure, but I don't believe it was. Unless they messed up on a few pair and cut them with a little bootcut or something.

SB: I just measured mine, and its closer to 1/2", not 3/4".

Are there any other options besides tailoring?

And a semi-related question: Would it be dumb to hem after so many months of wear? I figure this will keep them from totally eating my slimmer shoes, since I don't really trust any of the tailors around here.

The only alternative I can think of besides tailoring would be to stretch out the knee area after you wash them so it lines up with the hem. Sort of a pain in the ass and inconsistent, but if you've already washed them several times, I'm sure all the shinking it done.

And no, I don't see anything wrong with having them hemmed at this point if they bother you.