Levi's 501 Shrink to Fit (STF)

SLEEZY

My understanding is that it doesn't matter too much if you soak for more than about 30-45 minutes. Virtually all of the shrinkage is taken care of in that time. That was definitely the case for my Oni's, which I soaked for 30 min, adding hot water every 10 min or so. Wearing them while damp just makes it easier to stretch the waist back out, if that's needed, and can make it easier to set some creases.

now i know that levi stfs have really sucky denim quality
Who has the best down-line raw denim (under $60)? Carhartt's 15 oz. double ring? (But that's only available on double knee logger jeans, which don't exactly get it done for everyone.)

Seagram, great jeans. Where those preshrunk or STF (no double X on the tag)?

Seconded.Even though I bought my last stf a decade ago,i can confirm that they shrank up to 4" in the inseam, i just followed what the papertag said,2 sizes bigger in the waist and 3 in lenght.Back than it worked, but in those days i knew nothing about raw denim,always bought a 34X38,threw them in the washingmachine, with detegent at 60°C,and hey presto! I would say that stf shrink more than most of the LVC stuff I own - some didnt shrink at all.

one hour in the hottest tabwater should get most of the shrinkage out,if not,repeat evtl.use a dryer.advantage of nonsanforized denim is that you control the shrinking process.if you worry about too much shrinkage start with a cold soak.

hmm...well. they fit pretty good on me now (no shrinking).

pics here: http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showpost.php?p=1270461&postcount=173

(im going with the 36s).

someone said that they'll stretch back out if i soak in hot water. my main concern is fit and the end result.

first pair of levis in a LONG time lol

i picked up 2 pairs (going to return 1)..i want to see what you guys think is/will-be a better fit after the soak

i bought 36x34 and 38x34

the 38s are huge and the 36 feels just right..but again...they shrink. so i'm just gonna let you experts tell me what you guys think

first up, 36x34:

(big guy alert :o )

36x1.jpg

36x2.jpg

36x3.jpg

post soak fit pics

a couple days after soaking em and wearing em

stffront.jpg

stfside.jpg

stfback.jpg

Who has the best down-line raw denim (under $60)? Carhartt's 15 oz. double ring? (But that's only available on double knee logger jeans, which don't exactly get it done for everyone.)

Seagram, great jeans. Where those preshrunk or STF (no double X on the tag)?

My blue STFs don't have the XX but my black STFs do, not sure if that's how they're identifiable or what

I have a pair of blues waiting in the wings for the contest, and they don't have the XX either. Made in Mexico, if that makes a difference (or if someone comes up with a blue pair with the XX). I recall looking at some about 6-12 months ago, and seeing XX on the black only then as well.

^ Wish I'd caught that post; just earlier I was looking for an odd size for a contestant. I could have dug for some Mexican-made ones while I was there :o

I did notice the black STF is using a different denim. Dunno if it's a seasonal thing, or just the erratic quality of STF, but the newer stock is alot heavier and coarser, with a lighter weft. Also, the cool brass hardware is no more...

I'm new to raw denim and wanted to try these out before I move on to more expensive jeans. Just wondering about soaking and putting these in a dryer to shrink before I wear. Does using the dryer have any negative effects on the fading possibilities?

it's going to coat your dryer with indigo, and that's about it. the cheap 501XX's feature an incredibly shitty dye job. it won't prevent the jeans from fading; nothing will short of dozens upon dozens of consecutive washes.