Game of Thrones

jackg

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're in the wrong forum we're all ignorant plebes who care more about Littlefinger's perfect haircut and Arya's distressed boots and random women's supple breasts than whatever the hell you talk about

i could not agree more.

but considering this is not the only forum i use, now that i am here, i might as well pop in every now and again to make sure the simpletons know what they are talking about.

And I to care about "women's supple breasts" on the show. Other wise I would not talk about Emilia Clarke so much, and the falseness of her "no nudity contract". Not to mention, she is not the only character who's boobs I have talked about.

Bought the books via Amazon Prime. I ain't trying to wait 10 years to find out what happened. For those who have watched the show and read the books... Should I start from the beginning or should I pick up where the show stopped (if so where is that within the books?)

it's probably too late for that approach.

I have a couple friends who started reading the books after watching season 1 (works out okay), but at this point in the television series (end of season 2), too much has been changed. basically, season 1 is more or less book 1, but the linearity of that relationship is beginning to unravel.

Definitely read the first two books, there are so many things left out in the show. Like others have said, it's not really an option. You won't be sorry, or bored by reading the first two, because there are so many things the show couldn't get in there. Also, it will only help you learn more of what you already kind of know.

Edited by Ghost714

Bought the books via Amazon Prime. I ain't trying to wait 10 years to find out what happened. For those who have watched the show and read the books... Should I start from the beginning or should I pick up where the show stopped (if so where is that within the books?)

Start from the beginning! the show is constrained by time and money and consequently it will have left sections of the book out, so you probably will not understand everything walking into the 3rd book only having watched the show.

also my understanding is that the book is pretty much a page turning, not high brow literature (no offence ghost) so it will not take you long to read them both!

Start from the beginning! the show is constrained by time and money and consequently it will have left sections of the book out, so you probably will not understand everything walking into the 3rd book only having watched the show.

also my understanding is that the book is pretty much a page turning, not high brow literature (no offence ghost) so it will not take you long to read them both!

Yeah, it's not high brow stuff, and anyone with an hour or two to spare each day can blow through both books in less than two weeks. And there was so much and so many characters left out of season two, I can't imagine picking up with Storm of Swords and knowing what's going on.

The only thing that slowed me down with the books was keeping up with all the lesser characters and all of the connections between the characters and houses. I ended up referring to some character index I found online.

The only thing that slowed me down with the books was keeping up with all the lesser characters and all of the connections between the characters and houses. I ended up referring to some character index I found online.

That's why the rereads are so great. Every time you read it again, things just all come together and click more, and more. That's also why the rereads are not boring, because your always picking up new things, and just understanding things more.

So bran is a greenseer ?

Just found a load of stuff on a wiki, dont know why they didn't include it to develop his character.

Do you mean in the show? Because they did give Bran that dream, about "the sea coming to wash over the walls of Winterfell", and the sea represented the Theonand the Ironborn taking over Winterfell. Bran also saw Ser rodrik Cassel "drowning" in his dream, which foretold that he would be killed by the "Iron islanders".

In the book bran is a greenseer, but Jojen Reed is the one who has that dream, but because Jojen will not be in the show until next season, they gave the dream to bran. It's ok that they didn't show much about bran being a greenseer in season two, because mainly in book two bran just mainly works on developing his Warg abilities(Warging into his Direwolf summer). It's not until later in the books, that bran really becomes a "greenseer".

So you have not read the books?

Do you mean in the show? Because they did give Bran that dream, about "the sea coming to wash over the walls of Winterfell", and the sea represented the Theonand the Ironborn taking over Winterfell. Bran also saw Ser rodrik Cassel "drowning" in his dream, which foretold that he would be killed by the "Iron islanders".

In the book bran is a greenseer, but Jojen Reed is the one who has that dream, but because Jojen will not be in the show until next season, they gave the dream to bran. It's ok that they didn't show much about bran being a greenseer in season two, because mainly in book two bran just mainly works on developing his Warg abilities(Warging into his Direwolf summer). It's not until later in the books, that bran really becomes a "greenseer".

So you have not read the books?

Yeah I kinda noticed something was going on in the TV series. I havent read the books yet but reading a few wiki pages has added a lot more depth to the story line and whole world. So yeah I think I will read them now

Yeah I kinda noticed something was going on in the TV series. I havent read the books yet but reading a few wiki pages has added a lot more depth to the story line and whole world. So yeah I think I will read them now

Yeah the show is really just the tip of the iceberg, there is so much more in the books, and they are definitely worth the read.

• 1 month later...

Bs agrees.

http://m.espn.go.com/wireless/story?storyid=8182261

(quick spoiler-free tangent about khaleesi: before i started watching thrones, a reader e-mailed me that there wasn't a more exciting television moment than seeing the "n" (for nudity) in the opening credits before a thrones episode, then spending the next hour rooting for the "n" to somehow involve khaleesi. when i started watching the show and khaleesi got naked in something like three of the first four episodes, it all made sense. somehow she kept her clothes on during the entire second season — an egregious oversight by hbo that should have resulted in multiple high-level firings and maybe even a public apology. it's not like the actress playing khaleesi is the next meryl streep or anything. but between sookie (from true blood) and khaleesi, it's safe to say that hbo pushed 10 million teenage boys through puberty these past few years.)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

yea, tons of crazy shit happens in book 3. finished that a little while ago and jumped right into book 4. getting close to the end of that one now. in book 4 there is a lot more focus on just a few characters compared to 1-3 and i think in book 5, it starts to get a little confusing. i heard that multiple books cover the same time period, but focus on different characters, so maybe in book 5 i'll learn what the other main characters are doing while the stuff in book 4 was going on.