The end of an era ( stopping cigarettes )

yo anyone is trying to stop smoking cigarettes ?

just trying to stop since 2-3 days, i know its a short time but drives me nuts already, ( had cigarettes everyday since 3 years )

im taking some Niquitin pills but seems you still get addicted to nicotine after quiting,

well let me know if anyone experienced giving up tobacco,

any tips / advices would help

good luck my friend. smoked 10 years and quitting was easily one of the hardest battles (most rewarding too).

advice...never ever think you can have just one. it's gonna be fucking torture for awhile especially if your friends smoke.

just admit/commit to being done forever.

My mother smoked 2 packs a day of unfiltered Gauloises cigarettes from the age of 14 to about 30 (my dad made her quit before they got married, I am now 33) and she hasn't had one since, but to this day she still feels cravings.

If you can avoid it, don't start. If you smoke now, quit as soon as you can. :)

I've been a casual smoker for years. In college, the worst it ever got to was 10-15 cigs a day for a 4 week stretch. Now I probably have between 1-4 a month. Last cig I had was over a month ago, maybe 2. I guess I never really became addicted, I just enjoy having them as I would bacon, or McDonalds. It'll never be a daily thing but I like to indulge every now and then.

I've been clean for 5 months and had 2 slips. My advice is if you slip just realize that's all it is. Though some people would like to say you start from scratch, that's BS, and your lungs don't see it that way.

this sounds dumb but i know people who have quit by cutting a pen tube to the length of a cigarette and "smoking" through that instead whenever they got a craving. you'd be surprised at how much of the addiction rests in the ritual of lighting up, so if you continue the ritual but ween yourself off of nicotine, it might be easier for you.

Thanks guys for the usefull advices, and some scary but true stories,

cigarettes are also radioactive, containing pollonium and all kind of shit,

the reason why i stop is that i realised that i couldnt do any sport play any soccer or run 20 minutes without having my breath cut, also realised that my little brother took me as an example and started smoking too !

actually i enjoy smoking and had good memories with it, use to smoke at bed with ex girlfriend, in the bath tube drinking beers or on the ferry boat at night going to uk... also have friends that are smoking and maybe think that things will not be the same anymore if i dont smoke...

i smoked for 12 years and quitting (cold turkey) was a lot easier than expected. never had cravings. all you have to be is ready to let go of that part of you. it helps if you're honest with yourself and recognize how disgusting it is.

This

I smoked for 10 years

and I still remember my last cig

and after that I quit

you have to want to quit

Next time you get really bad cravings you should go for a run, will help take your mind off of it and will help your lungs to get back to where they used to be... as far as being around mates that smoke, it's all about your self discipline. They'll respect you trying to quit, but they'll also be there to give you one if you cave, so the battle is all in your mind. Best of luck!

I remember reading somewhere that to stop smoking, some dude emptied a bunch of ashtrays (butts+ashes) into a blender with some water, mixed it, and drank that shit. he was so disgusted afterward that he could no longer tolerate the taste of cigarettes.

I remember reading somewhere that to stop smoking, some dude emptied a bunch of ashtrays (butts+ashes) into a blender with some water, mixed it, and drank that shit. he was so disgusted afterward that he could no longer tolerate the taste of cigarettes.

Ztp0vHSSVqM

I've been told you should drink grapefruit juice when you have a craving. The idea is that the strong flavor will distract you senses. I, however, have never had a nicotine addiction -- so take it for what it's worth.

This

I smoked for 10 years

and I still remember my last cig

and after that I quit

you have to want to quit

exactly what I was going to say.

smoked for about 5 years and quit cold turkey.

pretty easy. it's been ~6 months and I sometimes forgot that I even smoked. no cravings whatsoever.

like any other goal, you've got to want it.

^I did the same thing, smoked for almost 5 years (~pack and a half a day) and then quit cold turkey. I tried weening myself off but never saw any real progress, so I finally just stopped. It's all just self control.

I still get cravings fairly often though even after 5 years of not smoking :\

my dad had his upper lip removed (totally) after getting cancer (the first time) and had it (his lip) rebuilt (unconvincingly) with skin from his thigh

he lit up immediately

RIP

smoke 'em if you got 'em

Wow that's horrible. I Just turned 35 and I've been smoking full time since I was 15. Quit three years ago, and two years later I'd gained 25lbs. The Celtics lost a playoff game, had a suck day at work...started again a year ago, and of course lost all the weight in no time. Always been a full pack of Newports a day.

Just started taking wellbutrin as an aid. Going to quit on Monday. The thing with quitting is that you have to do it every day for a long time, maybe the rest of your life. Smoking is unquestionably the dumbest habit out there. At least heroin gets you high.

I quit 3 months ago after 16 years of a pack of marlboro reds a day.

I keep thinking "when will I have not smoked long enough that I can reward myself with a cigarette...?" Really dreading those cravings I know I will be feeling for a long time...

But I do want to quit, I think I'm completely done with smoking...

The thing with quitting is that you have to do it every day for a long time, maybe the rest of your life.

Yeah, I totally agree with this. I still get cravings a few times a week even though it's been years since I smoked daily. I can't imagine how hard it is for guys who've smoked 15-20 years :\

I can't stress enough the psychological factor in quitting, as most others have said. Finding what motivates you to stop is key. I just hated waking up in the morning with a sore throat coughing up green shit every day. Its been a year and for me its only gotten easier, especially since I can run now without dying. Even when I drink and am around people who are smoking I don't have cravings, its much easier to fight the urge when you're reminded of how smoking fucks you up physically.

good luck my friend. smoked 10 years and quitting was easily one of the hardest battles (most rewarding too).

advice...never ever think you can have just one. it's gonna be fucking torture for awhile especially if your friends smoke.

just admit/commit to being done forever.

Same here, smoked for 10 years and then quit. I now allow myself to have a smoke now and again (and a bunch when I'm drinking) but I've managed to keep it from becoming a daily habit again.

When i was in high school, i had a friend whose dad was a hardcore smoker. He tried a million and one way to quit but always found himself lighting up again. One day, he sat down in his living room with a cartoon and smoked cigarette after cigarette without stopping. Took him 3 pack and a half before he was sick like never before in his life. He never smoked a cigarette again, in fact, just the smell still makes him nauseous.

I've smoked on and off since i was 14. stopped completely from ~16 - 20, smoked fairly regularly from ~20-25 and had been smoking socially (0-2 a day, but could get through a half pack if i was drinking) for the last 5 years. i turned 30 last January and had promised myself that was when it was time to finally let it go and i haven't smoked in 4 months. i had already stopped a couple times for months at time without any real difficulty, but always lacked the psychological commitment to stop for real. I've been running a lot for the past year and even though i rarely smoked more than 10 cigs a week, i've seen such an improvement since i stopped that it has made it much easier to quit for real. i still get cravings from time to time (especially when drinking or travelling), but it rarely last more than 5 minutes. Plus if you only smoke from time to time, cigs taste like shit and make you dizzy so you almost have to force yourself to start again if you manage to stop for a few days.

I know what the OP means when he says that things will never be the same again though, stopping smoking for real sorta meant leaving my youth behind in a way, but you get to a point where you start to see the effect of living an unhealthy life and that shit can kill you. i'm old :(