ande whall contest thread

aleopold

1. less than 15oz, broken twill or LHT,

2.leather stamed

3. selvage fly

4. Rope (hemp) lined belt loops, leather is not so resistance to repeated washing

5. Hickory fabric for pockets

6. I dont mind, hems too much,

7. dark indigo back pocket stitching

8.yes for hidden rivets

9. Back pocket lining!!!! I vote for fulling lined back pockets

10. Hidden rivets on Coin pockets!!! I know this can be Done XD

Hey guys. I don't think different cuts is an issue, just what ever people want. The Deluxe was $265 so wouldn't want the price getting over that, depending on what denim however, but will work at that price. There are a few leather guys floating around sufu that may want to produce the patches and get a pair of jeans as a contra deal, just a thought. Will get some info on denim soon.

Choices that have to be made:

1: Denim

2: Patch (leather stamped/lined printed?)

3: Selvage fly

4: Selvage belt loops (Rope or leather lined?)

5: Pocket lining (ticking?)

6: Hem's (Rope or leather lined?)

7: Back pocket stitching (Contrast or dark indigo?)

8: Back pockets (Hidden rivets?)

Because this is a contest pair I would prefer there to be more details too, because I already own roped lined pair, I would lean towards the leather (and this will make them more unique) but would be happy with any of the amazing details that go into his jeans!

1: Denim - This experimental cloth that Ande speaks of

2: Patch - Leather, either stamped or any other cool effects? (lasering?)

3: Selvage fly - Yes please

4: Selvage belt loops - Yes please

4:a Rope or leather lined? - Either

5: Pocket lining (ticking?) - Just something different to your standard lines please, an interesting weave or ticking would be cool.

6: Hem's (Rope or leather lined?) - Either

7: Back pocket stitching (Contrast or dark indigo?) - Dark indigo would be cool or even Hidden Wings?

8: Back pockets (Hidden rivets?) - Yes please (but not really to fussed)

Also, I had a quick play with a patch - I like the style of his patches & inner pocket designs so would like something not too different from what he has out there so I traced a few elements off his existing designs and comped together a couple of ideas (sorry for the shoddy tracing Andy - its just for reference). One includes all the contest details (and has a small evolution of his flying jeans) while the other is something really simple & bold (if we did something like this we could always put any contest details & personalised numbers on the small cotton patch on the inside back?)

Now I don't expect these to be actual designs as such, they are just indicative of the design style, and I'm sure there will need to be other information added to the mix etc.

patchdesigns.jpg

1: Denim- your choice ande! but would like to really try out zimbabwe cotton again.

2: Patch (leather stamped/lined printed?) the leather one cents put up looks phenomenal

3: Selvage fly- don't care

4: Selvage belt loops (Rope or leather lined?), leather lined would be interesting

5: Pocket lining (ticking?)- your normal pocket bags are indestructable

6: Hem's (Rope or leather lined?)- rope lined

7: Back pocket stitching (Contrast or dark indigo?)- either or, i don't want hidden arcs though, on every samurai hidden arcs, well, i think they look terrible

8: Back pockets (Hidden rivets?) yes please.

can we make that kiwi wearing a pair of flying jeans?

if there is one detail i had ande put on my old grifters that i really find practical, it is the lined back pockets (full). too many times my wallet rips a whole and it keeps getting bigger. so yeah, I want lined pockets.

YES. Fully-lined pockets would be great and a leather patch are really my only contributions to this discussion. Everything else is gravy.

to summarize:

1: Denim- your choice ande!

2: Patch - leather - stamped and numbered

3: Selvage fly - absolutely!

4: Selvage belt loops - rope lined, although if it ends up being leather, thats fine too

5: Pocket lining - whatever the general consensus is, I'm with

6: Hem's (Rope or leather lined?)- rope lined, but am open to leather

7: Back pocket stitching (Contrast or dark indigo?)- either or, as long as they're there!

8: Back pockets (Hidden rivets?) - absolutely!

I'm really feeling the flying jeans arrangement theotherchrislewis made for the leather patch. It's using elements of Ande Whalls art, as well as outlines the details on this specific contest /etc. I would love to use it, or a variation of it.

I also dig onecents offering. Maybe we can use one as the patch, the other screened on the pocket bag or something?

just a thought...

You will never get 100% consensus, so do something true to your vision

I completely agree. I have full faith in Ande to put together something phenomenal. That being said, I will throw my thoughts in to the ring:

1: Denim - anything interesting, not black

2: Patch - stamped leather

3: Selvage fly - sounds good, but not picky

4: Selvage belt loops - love the rope lined, leather seems overkill

5: Pocket lining - lined back pockets would be amazing

6: Hem's - rope

7: Back pocket stitching - dark indigo

8: Back pockets - hidden rivets

I'm also working on a patch design. Hopefully I'll get it up tonight. I'll update the list soon and start contacting people to nail down the list of 30.

1: Denim

2: Patch (leather stamped/lined printed?)

3: Selvage fly

4: Selvage belt loops (Rope or leather lined?)

5: Pocket lining (ticking?)

6: Hem's (Rope or leather lined?)

7: Back pocket stitching (Contrast or dark indigo?)

8: Back pockets (Hidden rivets?)

my only input on these is as follows:

leather patch would be awesome.

pocket lining (maybe with some patterned fabric you pick out).

"hidden" wings.

everything else, i am fine leaving up to your judgment.

My input:

- Denim is open to me. I'd like something unsanforized and under

16/17oz MAX.

- Stamped leather patch.

- Gotta have the lined pockets.

- I like the dark indigo arcs > contrast

- Hidden rivets.

The rest is a toss up/don't really matter much to me.

Oh, and I'm willing to participate in the contest pending details.

dawei69 is on the money:

1. ~15oz LHT would be ridiculous;

2. Leather stamped;

3. Selvage fly;

4. Leather lined (What other company does this? Exactly! Can you say personalized pair?);

5. Hickory fabric for pocket-bags (FUCK YES!);

6. Again, leather;

7. Dark indigo back pocket stitching (How are Samurai's 'Hidden Arcs' done? 'Hidden wings' would be dope! If not definitely dark rather than contrast);

8. Definitely hidden rivets;

9. Full back pocket lining;

10. Price around $265 would be heroic...

Unsanforized had me so excited I didn't see the hickory pocket bags. I'll try and focus...looking at the Ande site this morning. It almost looks like the special roll is a grey denim. 3 sixteen does a grey selvage which is nice. It also could be a darker weft, much like what aleopold was wishing for. I wonder if Ande got something similar to the samurai elements denim. That shit is off the hook, or dope, or off the chain (enter current hip vernacular).

Oh and I found a newspaper article from another city where a guy in college wore a pair of naked and famous jeans for 15 months straight. The article was mostly about how there wasn't as much bacteria as peoe thought when the jeans were tested. Anyways, the article said that in certain circles it has become "trendy" to wear jeans raw and not wash them for as long as possible to develop fades. Is this what we are..."trendy"?

my ideas:

1. Indigo denim. pretty sure ande will source out a nice fabric.

2. all the details we have seen on the dlx

3. hems & loops: leather if sanforized, rope if STF

4. hidden wings

5. lined backpockets. 3/4 denim lined with selvage detail.

6. like the linen patch very much. what about a woven patch???

Oh and I found a newspaper article from another city where a guy in college wore a pair of naked and famous jeans for 15 months straight. The article was mostly about how there wasn't as much bacteria as peoe thought when the jeans were tested. Anyways, the article said that in certain circles it has become "trendy" to wear jeans raw and not wash them for as long as possible to develop fades. Is this what we are..."trendy"?

http://abcnews.go.com/US/canadian-student-josh-le-year-washing-jeans/story?id=12722442

I read a similar article, but for nudies,

and yes, we are trendy (10)

1: Denim Lightweight indigo

2: Patch (leather stamped/lined printed?) Leather stamped

3: Selvage fly Yes plz

4: Selvage belt loops (Rope or leather lined?) Rope lined (just feels more durable)

5: Pocket lining (ticking?) Yes, lined

6: Hem's (Rope or leather lined?) Rope lined

7: Back pocket stitching (Contrast or dark indigo?) Doesn't matter much to me

8: Back pockets (Hidden rivets?) Yes to hidden rivets

I completely agree, and stated this a few times in the thread. However, if you look at Ande's post a few pages back he stated a number of things we need to decide on.

I was hoping he would tell us what he can offer, but it looks like he wants some input on a few things.

That said, if I misunderstood his post or if he simply at any point, decides on any of the details without our requests, I will be thoroughly pleased as well.

Honestly, I think I prefer leaving the whole design up to Ande. I want a pair of AW-designed denim, not SuFu-designed denim. Anyone else feel this way?

I definitely feel the same way, but because everyone else was offering their suggestions I offered mine.

If the only people who spoke up said 'we want black denim' then I could see Ande going with black denim. I wanted him to know there are those of us that want standard indigo...

Hey guys. Was thinking over the last few days it would be cool to do a kind of lee-pro, Ande's world rodeo? Use the old school black/gold tabs waistband labels. Possibly a patch design with flying jeans being lasso'd or a nice simple text.

A couple things I'm not to sure about is unsanforized and full back pocket lining. On the slimmer cuts I think the rise gets a bit to short with unsanforized denim, plus the sizing issues. And with back pocket lining the pockets get kinda bulky.

Ande - the Ande's world rodeo idea sounds great! A leather patch with the flying jeans would be awesome as well.

The ONLY thing I was really hoping for was unsanforized denim, but if you're not sure on it, I'm with whatever you decide on.

I don't really care if the back pockets are lined or not.

But, is unsanforized at all a possibility? I completely understand your concern. If we took away your skinniest cut as an option, would it give the possibility of unsanforized denim a better chance?

Hoping some of the other contestants would back me on this. : )

But, is unsanforized at all a possibility? I completely understand your concern. If we took away your skinniest cut as an option, would it give the possibility of unsanforized denim a better chance?

I really don't see what the concern with STF denim is? I really love it when you can get a pair of jeans in the mail and wear right away. If you get rid of the "skinniest" cuts, there goes quite a few of the contestants. I'm already on the cusp in size so if we did get shrink to fit, I wouldn't be able to size up to account for shrinkage. Maybe that's selfish, but hey, I'd like to be in this contest too :)

theres not much difference between sanforized and unsanforized... the only noticable thing is the shrinkage and the more "marbled" look after you wash or soak the jeans, and thats only sometimes.

fading properties are the same, and one doesnt necessarily mean better quality either.

Oh yeah, the only reason i prefer unsan to san is for the leg twist, otherwise its not a deal breaker. also, i find fun in soaking the denim first more fun instead of just putting em on. (i guess im just wierd) hah