ROY X CONE contest, 1.1.11 - 2.1.12

Paul T

ROYxCones are sitting in the office, listening to Bob Dylan and writing a fatty budget while gun shots pop off in the (not too distant) distance and vehicle-sirens whiz by.

Shit's getting crazy!

livefeed001pix.jpg

Edit - I didn't take that pic, click the pic for the news site where it's from

Thanks for all the nice comments!

riff I don't think there are any original fragments of the boats, although there are several other boats in a shed like the one at the dock that are used for a recreation of the crossing every December.

tg dkatz and paul Two long posts in one week for me and I am exhausted. I don't know how you guys do it.

Dkatz.. I couldn't help notice that there is a shoe repair place just past the burning pile... Ever been to it?

I almost spit out my coffee!!! you can't be asking that seriously lol. seems the owner understands the power of marketing. He has 2 signs up.

BTW you can really age your denim under those conditions. I thought miners were beating up their denim, but tanks, fire, and guns and military police will probably do the job faster.

Daniel I hope you're ok over there amigo. be safe.

Hahahahhaa you guys are absurd! There are "shoe repair" places all over this damn city (and country) - my shoes fall apart about once a month so I drop them at the shoe repair/polish guy and he makes some big messy stitches for me for 2000 Shillings (~$0.85) and we call it a day.

And no, I've not been to that specific shoe repair place. That is, however, right by where I catch the bus to Arua.

All's pretty quiet now, let's see what tomorrow brings!

heading home... -3 this morning

flying on one of the new planes air nz got for the world cup

care about as much for rugby as i did for that thing that was in london last night

but it is very nice and shiny and black

lasta.jpg

remarkably close

lastbu.jpg

theres that aoraki mountain

lastcx.jpg

circling back over queenstown, can see where i jumped from, on the left front hill with a wee clearing

lastdb.jpg

not so big now are you aoraki hmmmmm

lasteo.jpg

stopped at dues ex machina in auckland for lunch and some shopping

i had chicken salad and read an art auction catalog

lastfu.jpg

almost home,ko manaia toku maunga

lastgk.jpg

and home in the nice northland sun... 16 degrees

lasthi.jpg

thatththethats all folks

ferkel76

There we were, sitting in the living room about to go out... when the nipper let out an blood-curdling scream.

He'd seen this, which lives in a garage on the opposite side of the road.

bestmain.jpg

It's great being a kid. You can go over, introduce yourself, and as long as you know a bit about old cars, V8s and James Bond, people will show you their toys.

Straight six, three SU carbs. You can't see the tail of the car in the pics - it's a DB6, Mk 1.

engineg.jpg

And yes, the engine is going now...

driverm.jpg

It might be a paupers' version, but time to get the Volvo up and out....

Beeeeautiful Aston Martin! I would have screamed as well :)

Wonderful travel updates the last few pages. I myself had to travel to a meeting in Boulder, Colorado, for a meeting two days ago. I was planning on spending the weekend, but had to cut the trip short since I need to finish work on the house.

Denver bound

pecMe.jpg

CO is one of the few places that has more sun than Utah. It was beautiful and warm there!

HoE4j.jpg

I dropped my bag as soon as I got there and went for a long walk along Boulder Creek. I've never seen a bike/walking path this busy! It was like a freeway. I guess that happens in hippy towns.

YifyW.jpg

This was the first of spring I have seen all year!

q3sJf.jpg

This was a gauge along the creek that showed the levels of historic floods in the town. At least where I live in Utah, we are possibly looking at big floods because we got a ton of snow up in the mountains this year.

Ivv2U.jpg

Had to stop by the local brewery for a pint.

3n9G6.jpg

Then, I grabbed some dinner at what was likely the fanciest pizza joint I'd ever been to. Boulder is a very curious mix of dirty hippies and young yuppie families.

xKhPE.jpg

I sat at the pizza bar and watched the guys turn out wood fired pizzas for everyone.

EaNDL.jpg

My standard for judging pizza joints is to order a simple mushroom pizza. This one was by far the best I had ever eaten in my life. Thin Neapolitan crust, homemade sauce, fresh mozzarella, deelish mushrooms. It's making me hungry just thinking about it!

kSY5o.jpg

I got lost on my way back to the hotel, but came across the coolest little toy store. I picked up a 3D drawing kit for my daughter. I hope I get to try it.

wjz9h.jpg

I flew back yesterday on what was likely the most bizarre airplane flight I have ever been on. The flight attendant informed us that there would be no drink service, but then proceeded to drink coffee the entire time, the middle-aged woman with headphones danced in her seat in front of me for the whole flight, and the guy across the aisle was dressed in full snowboarding gear, including a helmet! Then, when I got to the airport, I had apparently parked next to a bus stop that does not exist. The bus lady was nice, though, and drove me around the lot in the bus to find my car. Man, I am glad to be home...

paul great car. it pays to be young sometimes. overly young. this must be one of the many occasions that your young un' gets to take a crack at his dad's old arse for having the chance to be in the driving seat.

zissou that pizza looks great, i can only imagine... the toys that they make these days are out of this world. 3D drawing kit? crikey! haha, talk about a queer journey back home. expect the unexpected!

so here is a late update. had a quick meetup with Baeyer-Drewson and his lady. first non-singaporean sufu meetup! he was on holiday in singapore and we went out for some chinese dim sum. i think the both of them had a lot to eat. not too many pictures here.

R1003341.jpg

me waiting for the train to arrive. obviously late. sky is dark and i had to get off work late.

R1003342.jpg

best impression of What I Wore That Day. i love these pants. they are too comfortable and my to go to pants everyday.

R1003343.jpg

civc mindedness or a lack thereof. we need to have signs demarcating where boarding passengers should stand and to give way to alighting passengers first. talk about wanting to be a world class country. my arse.

R1003345.jpg

of course i over-order as always when i go to this place. i have NEVER EVER not over-ordered here. this is like what? 1/6 of what we ordered. for 3 people. even went for beancurd dessert after that. glad to have taken my guests out. they were too kind though and refused to let me pay the bill. hope to meet them again!

today was spent mostly in the hospital visiting my gramps who is in bad shape from an infection. got cut short from work because of this. hope everything goes right soon. many more trips to the hospital these few days.

have a good one sufu.

My boy, my ROYs and I went to the local town today. In the square there was a display of vintage tractors advertising an upcoming country fair in one of our neighboring villages.

Paul T, you can keep your aston, this is how we roll.

5673040918_8f50b2a14a_z.jpg

5673094050_0de60e354a_z.jpg

5672456421_8bc88205ef_z.jpg

5673105290_3b40b57f7e_z.jpg

Fresco and zissou....next level agricultural equipment. Must spread!

Now I'm conflicted. I still really like the blue one....but no tracks....:(

Maybe I can get Hukurokuju to retro fit caterpillars on it for me. I'll ask Ed.

When I lived in Berlin in the 90's some of my house mates bought and restored a Russian armoured personnel carrier which they used to drive around the neighbourhood occasionally. They were known as the "Adalbertstrasse Panzer Battalion". Being a man of peace I find the tractors much more attractive, not to mention a lot more useful.

My wife and I drove up Nebraska 21 to church in Broken Bow,NE this morning.Instagram sort of washes stuff out, but the drive was incredibly picturesque:

61ad9b830d5f4414bca469c7a0df1a37_7.jpg

Got to church and did our churchy thing, there was some pretty cool stained glass in the church:

7dbf884472a04b21b732d87a028ef6c9_7.jpg

Sat through TWO, i repeat two sermons:( but afterwards they fed us and gave my wife a plant to take home so it was worth it.

On the way home the sky was perfect, big puffy clouds just hanging up there:b264d24045d04ea5b3529d6f1c6c0bd8_7.jpg

Then the mail brought my new wallet (thanks Zissou!)

9ddaceae94f64ffebf081ba5ad35eee7_7.jpg

More tractors....

So this morning we awaken to see this outside:

Spot the odd one out.

5674748385_185314625f_z.jpg

It turns out one of my neighbours has five of them and restores them. This is from 1962 and is worth £4500 apparently. He is going on a tractor run today....

5674749499_0909f845f3_z.jpg

5674750561_13318084d2_z.jpg

Lenny was however more interested in this bit of crap he found...

5675315742_62c95c7a68_z.jpg