ROY X CONE contest, 1.1.11 - 2.1.12

Paul T

Lookin' good, roy6! Mine lost quite a bit of starch after the first wash. They were nowhere near as stiff as after the first soak.

^

I don't think there's really much starch left in mine. I've done 3 soaks, a hand wash, and a machine wash.This last time it was mostly kitchen related funk that came out in the wash. I am hoping that I'll be able to make it to the end of the school year without another soak/wash. If I can make it that far I shouldn't have to wash them all summer since i'll be unemployed until school starts back up.

Also,I've noticed on my pair that the cotton duck is affecting the lap fades some. Sort of connecting the whiskers if you will, anybody else seeing this in theirs?

5617963208_3e98bc44e3_o.jpg

5617368893_2c4421498b_b.jpg

Thanks for the compliment Dude.

BTW I still think you're in pole position to win this thing, not just for the wicked fades, but also for constantly teaming your jawns up with that R'n'R jacket.

Putting off that first wash has done wonders to set in those creases - wish I'd just soaked mine and left them, but they've had one 'quick wash', and I feel a proper wash comin' on very soon....

(sigh..) must spread

cheers Dr,which cap did you order?

yeah,thats my trusty old A-2,refusing to show any wear apart from the right arm,where they used some nice grainy leather.as i bought it used i suppose its their realdeal '42.from time to time i use Effekt Leather Gel or Redwing Bootoil in some spots.

Ralph and Michael are truly showing what we can expect from the denim.

that is if Ralph is wearing his prototype pair.

I have been out of town for a while, Ralph is wearing his prototype jeans. He told me that he has worn them since October 2010, Looking good Heech!

Very, very nice roy6 - it's interesting how different the denim looks when it hasn't touched much water!

Also,I've noticed on my pair that the cotton duck is affecting the lap fades some. Sort of connecting the whiskers if you will, anybody else seeing this in theirs?

Yep, for me the lap creases are less distinct than usual.

Today was chocolate day with my folks (who are visiting from overseas).

Koko Black, well known locally for their chocolate and related food:

p4140066.jpg

p4140057.jpg

p4140064.jpg

p4140063.jpg

p4140069.jpg

They also have an interesting display of chocolate themed drawing at the Royal Arcade - should check it out if you live nearby.

Also, trial run of my new Cushman hoodie.

Was inspired by Roy's pixie-top hoodie, but it doesn't seem like he's making them anytime soon.

But now I look at this photo, the hood looks more like a klan hat than a pixie-top.

Tuck the tip in?

P4140024.jpg

Mr ROYs and I headed up north for the weekend.

We found a terrific, traditional pub on the way up, called The Wheatsheaf, in England's smallest country, Rutland. IN the old days these places would have had boring, warm beer and terrible food. I had a terrific beer which was new to me, Brewster's Decadence, made in nearby Grantham, with some excellent potted shrimps.

wheatsheaf.jpg

For the first time this year, we sat out… trees in blossom, magnolias flowering.

springblossom.jpg

sprinblossom2.jpg

That afternoon, we were in Beverley, Yorkshire, home of another favrouite pub, Nelly's, which dates from the early 18th century. Only had the iPhone for pics…

pub1.jpg

pub2.jpg

It was fun staying with my parents… but sadly their espresso machine has broken so next morning it was out early in search of a decent cup. On the way, we stopped in at Beverley Minster, a huge church started in Norman times and finished in the 1500s.

bestminster.jpg

The church has a set of gothic carvings which have been used by musicologists to research early musical instruments. There are carvings of musicians playing the hurry gurdy, or bagpipes, alongside other characters wrestling demons or strange animals…

musicman4.jpg

musicman3.jpg

musicman2.jpg

musicman1.jpg

The church, like many large local minsters etc, celebrates the victories of the british empire in long-forgotten campaigns, with ancient military colours

tatteredflag.jpg

The nipper, on the way back. His vintage Levi's 302 are looking good:

nipperslevis.jpg

And the ROYs. These look much better with my WIlliam Lennon, but they're being reheeled. These Chapman and Moore brogues are great, plus they're nice and cool for the summer, but a bit dainty in this context.

PTinroys.jpg

The East Coast now boasts an excellent aquarium, the Deep. I lov

ed these little fellas:

sandeels.jpg

Jellyfish, rays… and of course sharks. There's a huge perspex tunnel going thru the main tank, so they swim right over you. Unfortunately they don't attempt to ram their way thru the perspex as in that very realistic film, Jaws 3-D.

jellyfish.jpg

MRray.jpg

shark.jpg

The next morning we headed for York. For the first time we checked out this amazing, small air museum, all run by volunteers.

WHy did we like it so much? Well, for one thing there was a tiny room devoted to 609 squadron - this was all volunteer, made up of amateur pilots, including a couple of German nationals. THey boasted a number of aces, when they flew SPitfires, and later converted to Typhoons, which destroyed a huge number of tanks a the Falaise Gap. Their mascot was a goat, which had a habit of eating anything that moved, including officers' hats.

609squadron.jpg

And the reason why we really liked this museum is the people that were dotted around. This lady, Margaret Earnshaw, made the dress uniform for the goat; married one of the pilots, Jim Earnshaw, and during the war was on the production line making Lancasters, in BRadford. She and Curtis got on well: "What a lovely girl!", she told us!

lady.jpg

Nearby is a fella restoring a Mosquito Night Fighter. You're not allowed to go behind the wire in the museum. Unless you're 10 years old and ask the right questions. Lucky nipper!

Here's the Merlin engine out for restoration work. The most important aero engine of all time, in terms of its impact.

merlin.jpg

Where I wasn't allowed backstage, he took full advantage:

MossieNF2.jpg

mossieman.jpg

The nipper's companion, Tony Agar, has been working on the Mosquito since 1972! It's the only surviving Night Fighter. If you were in the Luftwaffe and shot one of these down, it scored as two kills, they were so vaunted. Almost uniquely, they were made of wood - light, fast, harder to locate on radar, and best of all they could be made by furniture companies who had no experience with aircraft. AS I type, I'm sitting in a 30s chair made by Parker Knoll, who made parts of the fuselage and the wing leading edges.

Victor nuclear bomber, stayed in service for nearly 50 years:

Victor.jpg

Final day, we went to the seaside with granny and grandpa. The destination was Bridlington, now the home of David Hockney. He spent years in LA, hanging out with people like Andy Warhol etc. Now he's in this isolated, holiday spot!

You can see why he loves it - i's rugged and windy.

flamborough.jpg

lughthouse.jpg

We found a new part of the town we'd never seen before - or, rather, an old part. The main area is all Victorian, this part was much older, some of it dating back to the civil war era. One excellent book shop had previously been a Victorian chemists, and still had all the drawers and glass cabinets. Beautiful.

chemistbook.jpg

chemistbook2.jpg

We bought a fair few books, But not this one, even tho I loved the cover. Remember, Riff, Setterman: Your Pet Can Kill!

yourpetcankill.jpg

Nearby was a place that was recently voted the best fish and chps shop in Britain! Definitely a good reason to move. I had told my mum and dad I'd treat them all to lunch, I didn't quite realise I'd be feeding five of us for £23, including the drinks. Result!

fishandchips1.jpg

Lastly, I came upon my new favourite shoe shop, Marshalls of Bridlington. AN old fashioned place, window display looks like it dates from the 70s, while insude is piled up with boxes. THey've been running since 1894 and still stock a lot of traditional makes - Grenson, Tricker's, and their own brogues.

marshalls.jpg

If they'd had any zug grain, even at a hefty price, I'd have got them. But there was sad news… I asked if they could get hold of Alfred Sargent Selkirks, my present obsession, and old Mr Marshall told me he'd got a letter last week to say his order wouldn't be fulfilled, as Sargent have gone into liquidation. Sad news. But I'll be back, to try and help Marshalls survive…

I think they went into administration around 2009, but then the management bought the assets. It sounds as if the new firm has gone down. Apparently they think they can re-emerge if they can downsize and move to a smaller factory.

Beautiful boots...

IMG_0134.jpg

How do these compare to the Grasmere?

Also they seem to vary tremendously in the apparent RRP from £219 to £270?

Probably the wrong thread for me to ask these questions........

If you ask in the shoes thread, ctb might answer, he has the Grasmere!

paul thats a phenomenal post. by far one of my favourite posts in a while. too entertaining as we follow you on your travels. if you dont mind me asking, in the first pics that you posted, were they shot on the itouch? too crisp. also, what are you using for the non-itouch pics (assuming you were using the itouch). too sharp those pictures are. very nice!

Thanks, Ran! I was worried when I realised how long it was... hipstamatic pics are either the GF's iPhone 4 or the nipper's iPod touch. A couple are my Panasonic GF1 with 20mm lens. Of course, the mrs takes better pics with her iPhone than I do with my flash Panasonic (that first one is her jellyfish pic, I stole it and didn't credit it, natch).

jellyfish2.jpg

I think the only thing of which I am more envious than Roy6's fades is PaulT's access to unlimited small pubs with their own local ales! :(

I'm off to Boulder, CO, later this month, and I'm looking forward to endless Colorado beers and bountiful thrift shops.

Dr_Heech, why are you thanking me for my compliment of PaulT's photo? And didn't your jeans get shipped to Paul's address? Something we should know?

Only you could love a picture of a man dancing with a goat for 'several' reasons.

That is all I'm gonna say.

That and the fact I have a filthy mind....