ROY X CONE contest, 1.1.11 - 2.1.12

Paul T

btw Zissou, your belt is aging already nicely.

Mine's coming along, too, although I think you were the first person to start wearing one.

My Roys and I spent most of the day in the car and sitting in meetings. Still, it was one of those days when things actually happen in meetings, which means it was a good day.

imagelqvu.jpg

Traveling up through the mountains...

imagebth.jpg

A lone, cold horse.

imagefr.jpg

This geologic feature is called the Devil's Slide. It is two layers of sedimentary rock that were thrust upward when the mountians formed, and the eventually eroded.

imageqzx.jpg

Most of the meetings were in Park City, which you might recognize from the Olympics, or Sundance Film Festival. I met someone from the Park City Museum, where my class will visit this summer.

imagerik.jpg

Then, I was off to a nature center where most of the class will happen to plan field trips, etc., with the staff.

imageczi.jpg

Damn Hipstamatic. I must have shaken the phone, changing the settings.

imagenqs.jpg

Oh, and I found a photo of the staircase in my house that needs to be painted. I got a couple of estimates from painters, so hopefully it will happen soon. It looks much nicer in this photo than it does in real life. It was painted to look like oak when the house was built, and is in sad need of a repainting...

imageejry.jpg

fantastic updates guys

sup dkatz?

albbb.jpg

That is... so cute... it hurts. I want to get 50 more of those made, in every adorable fabric I can find, to shower your child with.

is it only me or is everyone else seeing the frog in an ice cube saying the that domain has been unregistered?

Happened to me too - once I registered at imageshack the images showed up. Annoying. I hate being stiff-armed into registering for shit.

always good to see the future of superfuture..pomata - adorable pic...you should make more babies...

Hahahahahhahaa, agreed!

My Roys and I spent most of the day in the car and sitting in meetings. Still, it was one of those days when things actually happen in meetings, which means it was a good day.

Wow, those kinds of days are rare! Especially here where 75% of meetings are just for the sake of greeting and smiling at colleagues/partners... nothing like 16 hours roundtrip on a bus for THAT.

Remember how I said my ROYxCones lost a lot of indigo in that near-boiling, agitated soak I did the other day? Well I'd left the indigo-y water sitting in the basin for a couple days, until I drained it last night. This remained:

IMG_0854.jpg

Holy shit that's a lot of indigo!

Decided to mop it up with a tshirt

IMG_0857.jpg

I wonder if it'll stick?

Word to the wise: these suckers SHED indigo like a bad habit!

And today my ROYxCones will be visiting immigration to find out about how to extend my researcher visa. Pray for my sanity...

so, today is going to be a hugeass post, firstly to do justice to the kindness i have been shown today and secondly to compensate for the lack of activity in the recent couple of months in this thread. grab a drink, sit back and i hope you enjoy the post.

R1003097.jpg

the day started off with me bumming around at home and trying to catch some TV but there was nothing much on telly so i decided to head out to run some errands. things started off with going to the bank to drop some cash.

R1003101.jpg

then i went to pay some bills. well, singapore is pretty much a bustling city. if you are into city life/good food with different cuisines/moderate amount of shopping/safe place to take your kids out to, singapore is pretty much the country for you to visit. while we dont have beautiful and breathtaking scenery, convenience is at your fingertips. here, you will find like in the picture above, an AXS machine where you can do shitloads of stuff like paying credit card bills, buy movie tickets, grab insurance, etc etc. it never ends.

R1003098.jpg

as you can see, i am not kidding you. please ignore the handsome reflection on the screen though for beauty is only skin deep.

R1003102.jpg

after running the errands, it was time for food. lunch calls and here you can see a typical stall selling mixed rice, where you can pick out dishes that you want. this stall is somewhat different though because it is a vegetarian stall. if you know from my food diaries you see constantly, i am obviously not vegetarian, but this stall is pretty good by my standards, so it is a must eat for me.

R1003105.jpg

here we have me devouring lunch at home. basically a vegetarian meal like this is heavily flour based and while there are your greens (i picked long beans) and deep fried beancurd skin, there are a couple of mock meats. they are ALMOST like the real thing. i picked a mock BBQ PORK and mock Sweet and Sour Fish (which didnt taste anything like fish). this was all accompanied with a refreshing soy bean drink, which i also incidentally had yesterday but they accidentally forgot the sugar, which consequently made the whole drink taste like crap. but that was yesterday anyway.

R1003146.jpg

after lunch, i decided it was time to make a trip down to meet a new friend that i have been meaning to go down to pass him some stuff, but was too tied up to make the trip down earlier in the week. most of you will know the Obbi Good Label operated by obbigood and scasi, fellow singaporeans. apparently it was also coincidentally the softlaunch of the opening of their workshop in singapore and i was lucky enough to be schooled by them about leathergoods, the workmanship and other information. a truly humbling experience. they were really kind to let me have a go at sharing with you guys some pictures of the spanking brand new workshop as well.

R1003132.jpg

here is obbigood hard at work, weaving magic with his hands. he was working on a wallet in the picture if i am not wrong.

R1003135.jpg

and here he is talking to me about his Samurai S500JX-LR which he is currently wearing in the Heavyweight Denim Championship Contest, of which they are also kindly sponsoring some of the prizes. with the unique left and right hand twill jeans, how can you go wrong?

R1003134.jpg

here is scasi, hard at work on his sewing machine. i dont know what he is doing since i am no expert, but he is putting together 2 pieces of leather (obviously i dont know what im talking about, but it makes sense doesnt it? ha!).

R1003123.jpg

here he is, looking good in his SDAs. not too sure what model they are though. osaka 5 never disappoints though.

R1003121.jpg

here is scasi again, working on a wallet that is almost finished. he is making holes so that he can add the male end of the clasp for the wallet front.

R1003122.jpg

of course if you work, you have scraps. here are some leather scraps from their labour.

R1003126.jpg

obbigood and scasi were also kind enough to show me around the workshop and explain to me the different styles of leathergoods as well as the different machines they had. here, you see the custom pieces that were made.

R1003125.jpg

and of course there are various other leathergoods here as well including wallet reigns, bracelets, cardholders, coin holders, key fobs etc. very nice!

R1003124.jpg

of course they have lightning magazine as well. the boots issue was mmmmmmmmm tempting, with a lot of beauties to tempt your leather wallet with.

R1003142.jpg

here was what obbigood used to explain to me with regards to the differences between leather qualities. he also showed me a whole roll of uncut hide, which i have never seen before. very informative stuff that he gladly passed the knowledge on to. appreciate it.

R1003145.jpg

they also had some stuff from their personal collection which was also for sale today. i wonder why they never posted up these beauties. guys from the "shoes that look better with age" thread will go crazy.

R1003141.jpg

a moc toe which i thought looked amazing and an iron ranger (i think).

R1003128.jpg

the beauties that they have are amazing. hope somebody picks them up tonight at the soft launch. the evo is untouchable.

R1003137.jpg

some hardware that they use on their leather goods. some key rings and hooks and stuff.

R1003138.jpg

more silver for the eyes.

R1003139.jpg

rivets and buttons and more and more silver. all that glitters isn't gold.

R1003143.jpg

and boxes and compartments more of hardware and beads and stuff like that which i didnt open up to inspect.

R1003144.jpg

and here are some nice YKK zips waiting to be sewn onto leather pieces. great inventory of items.

R1003147.jpg

of course there were all sorts of machines imaginable and scasi told me about how difficult it was sometimes to source for them. i was also pretty surprised to learn about how a lot of shoe manufacturing used to be done in singapore.

R1003148.jpg

apparently a recently acquired new machine. sweeeeet.

R1003149.jpg

yet another piece of vintage beauty that will probably be even harder to come by in the years to come.

R1003150.jpg

what is a machine without thread. well, here are some threads for contrast stitching if you would like.

R1003133.jpg

finally, we have something possibly ROY related. CONE denim! a fuckin' old school banner which was apparently gifted to them by a friend. looking at it, i wonder how long ago does it date back. since 1850 i say! reminded me of the video that i was watching earlier on in the day. Levi's As America: A Riveting Icon, where we see a possibly familiar face being featured, also in part 2 and 3. here's part one:

kZ9hvYUbN8o

all in all, it was a fantastic day for me with a lot of knowledge being gained. will definitely head back to make a purchase one day to support these new found friends who have been working with passion for years and years. for anyone who doesnt know where to find them, here you go.

http://www.obbigoodlabel.com/

cheers!

Another pic of belt loop/cinch evo. My cinch fabric is going away fast!

_IGP7864.JPG

I'm convinced this wear & tear is mostly from my backpack as this is wear it rides.

Even if it hurts a bit, it looks good (but really early, buddy!)...

fantastic updates guys

sup dkatz?

albbb.jpg

Sensational pic. And yes, he really looks a lot like you, Ale!

yes awesome post Ranon, but tell me something i thought Obigood was in France, as he lives in the same town as my ex wife.

something i dont get here.

anyway great pics, great thread, makes me feel like i got to improve my skills to keep up

cool sharks teeth paul

the other day at school swimming sports my ROY boxers went out in a sea of purple house spirit

swimz.jpg

swim1.jpg

back to normal school days, a sea of admin

messzr.jpg

havent had much sleep lately... i feel like there should be some dogs in this photo

mess1.jpg

my latest favorite i must cut down on coffee drink, cup was a gift from one of the hospo/ food tech teachers

mess2j.jpg

today we do more fibre glass on decks of kayaks... tune in tomorrow to hear tg say blahblahblahblahbla

thanks for all the nice comments and +reps. robbie, roy6, joseph hill, erk, riff, docblue, mikecch. ace you guys!

thinfinn, yes all of them are for sale apparently. some nice stuff that looking amazing with age!

docblue, yes james is based in france most of the time and he has come back to the country to stopover and visit his family i suppose, as well as to have a look at how things are going at the new workshop. most of the stuff that he creates are done in france and i dont think he comes back to singapore very much. hes been telling me about the great weather in france, very envious!

5477376515_6ee181e80c_o.jpg

5477376537_fb7654f130_o.jpg

5477376577_d34abfb9db_o.jpg

This week the ROYs and I spent some time in the hills north of town working the Widow Garret's claim. We spied a few furtive rapscallions, likely Pinkertons under the pay of Sweringen. The late intrigue has taken it's toll on the Widow, and she seems to have sucumbed to the laudanum yet again and has made several most unwelcome advances upon our person.

We all fear greatly for her well-being.

5477376515_6ee181e80c_o.jpg

5477376537_fb7654f130_o.jpg

5477376577_d34abfb9db_o.jpg

This week the ROYs and I spent some time in the hills north of town working the Widow Garret's claim. We spied a few furtive rapscallions, likely Pinkertons under the pay of Sweringen. The late intrigue has taken it's toll on the Widow, and she seems to have sucumbed to the laudanum yet again and has made several most unwelcome advances upon our person.

We all fear greatly for her well-being.

DEADWOOD?!

hahaha, that fantastic, Roy6. I really enjoyed Deadwood, but then was pissed off that they never made the two movies.

Roy6 awesome photos! Ranonranonarat great post, TG as well! Everyone great post!!!

Quick two photos, haven't had time to post much still on the road. First in Flo-rida and second with Farhad,Mike, Russ, and Me in desert. 3 pairs of Roys, 1 pair of AB's.

www.banditphotographer.com

mr.png

rp18.png

ranon - thanks for the awesome tour!

roy6 - you are a nut, my friend. Love it.

eltopo - the things you do with a camera blow me away. And I like the brown-cast ROYs!

ROYxConexHeartOfDarkness have some fun plans for the day. Hopefully an enjoyable post in a handful of hours...

Thanks Ranon for the update.

And thank you for coming around and gave me a chance to touch the Roy x Cone denim :)

3 skull faced together :)

IMG_7328.gif

Obbigood, Ranon, one of our craftsman.

Thank you so much for your time with us, Ranon! Really hope to see you again although I'll be flying back to France soon.

And thanks everyone for the kind words.

ranon - thanks for the awesome tour!

roy6 - you are a nut, my friend. Love it.

eltopo - the things you do with a camera blow me away. And I like the brown-cast ROYs!

ROYxConexHeartOfDarkness have some fun plans for the day. Hopefully an enjoyable post in a handful of hours...

Agreed!! Amazing stuff these last few days - wonderful pics, folks! TG - glad you are back up & running! :)

Dkatz - looking forward to more of your adventures ;) I have a few trips coming up with the Roys... But just a fit pic for now ;)

034cc019-1.jpg

Thanks Ranon for the update.

And thank you for coming around and gave me a chance to touch the Roy x Cone denim :)

Thank you so much for your time with us, Ranon! Really hope to see you again although I'll be flying back to France soon.

And thanks everyone for the kind words.

sure man, thanks for schooling me on leather! will drop by again on monday to speak to johnny about some stuff!

riff you looking good there! didn't like the white's much at first but hey, they're growing on me a lot. they seem to look A LOT better with age.

@Mikecch

Dont apologise for the lack of updates mate, your'e doin' ok. After spending four weeks in sunny Oz I can see why you would hardly ever have a chance to wear your Roys anyway (..thanks for the OG Roys btw).

@All

I have just realised my total wear on my RxC's adds up to 2 weeks in two months! Will chuck 'em in the wash this week and hopefully post some pix soon.

Back to work on tuesday so will try to throw myself into this contest to show I have some committment.

Do you win a booby prize for coming in last? Please advise...

Great posts all. Roy6....loved the narrative. Laudanum....hell of a drug.

Just some stuff from the last couple of weeks...nothing to exciting, just proof that I am still alive and wearing my Roys.....

Into town....

img2520q.jpg

We decided to check out this little fleamarket that's held every couple of Saturdays in a music venue run by some friends of ours.

img2531z.jpg

Irish flea markets are usually pretty lame......you can get some o.k. bric a brac type stuff, but there are almost never any interesting clothes.....for some reason it's always loads of stuff from the 1980's.....my least favourite decade. At least at this market, though, you can have a pint and some very nice food brought in from the restaurant next door.

My girlfriend bought me this. I like his style-the shoes are next-level.

img2725nf.jpg

We started to get hungry.......didn't fancy stew, so we decided to go down the road and get some Japanese food.

img2535yw.jpg

First things first though.....Beer.

img2538bu.jpg

I like Hitachino quite a lot....they do a nice Weiss beer and quite a good ale as well. This one was made from fermented red rice and was also good. Slightly sweet and a little spicy.

In the words of almostnice, up yours!

img2540t.jpg

Then the bento boxes arrived....here's mine:

img2550v.jpg

The scene of devestation that was left after we finished..

img2553cw.jpg

Outside a semi-fit pic whilst straining at the waist band of my Roys...

img2555e.jpg

Then we went home....on the way I found a good source of all cotton thread in one of Dublin's few remaining fabric shops.