Anyone have the Buzz Rickson Pattern Recognition MA-1?

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Slightly off topic, but as long as we're talking fit of these BR jackets, here's how I looked in the B-15B(Mod), size 44R. Ignore the blond hair please.

BRB-15BMOD.jpg

I'm getting another a size down shortly; I've lost some weight and a 42 will fit better than that 44.

I don't know where in Hong Kong to get BR jackets but a cross post at http://cornellsurgery.com/v-web/bulletin/bb/index.php

Might yield some answers for you. Good luck.

-Jake

what the heck is the logic of putting mechanical articulation on the zipper?

am i understanding correctly that the zipper has moving parts?

It's spring loaded to insure that it lays flat against the jacket. It also has a locking pin which sits between teeth when it's zipped up, preventing the zipper from working itself down,

Pretty neat if you ask me.

-Jake

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 5 months later...
reviving a dead thread.

i'll be in japan in december and i'd love to find one of these...i know it's easily obtainable online, but for the price, i'd really like to try one on. it's not my usual look...

but has anyone sourced these in japan? i'll be in tokyo...

-joshua...

Go to Hinoya in Ameyoko Market (nearest station is Okachimachi - JR line).

They have a sellection of Buzz jackets. Good luck!

P.S. I'll be in Japan in December, too.:D

i have the buzz rickson pattern recognition MA-1 and I love it. I'm 6'8" and I wear a 44L, the american 44L not the japanese one, and it fits like a glove. If you call the couple that handle American rickson sales, they live in NJ and are super nice and will absolutely help you with anything. I told them my measurements and they really made sure that the jacke t would fit before they sold it to me.

The jacket itself is so clean..or as the product description reads, "not incorrect" Its so warm you can barely wear it indoors for more than a few minutes though. The bottom of the jacket falls just below your waist, and it will ride up if you have it zipped. It was definitely worth 500 dollars though, its something that you can be pretty sure you wont see anyone else wearing, but if you do, its the kind of garment that you cant help but give the other person a head nod.

Is it worth purchasing the NDG version or the History Preservation MA-1?

While I appreciate vintage reproduction, I'd prefer wearing something that looked good on me.

• 1 year later...

so I'm bumping a 2 year-old thread.

(hi everyone)

I bought the Pattern Recognition "Slender Cut" MA-1 a few months ago, from History Preservation. It's amazing. It makes me look kind of like a turtle, but a tough, buff turtle (like a mutant ninja turtle) and I dig the look.

fyi, it's not very slender, but I like it anyway. Can't even imagine what the original aka "heritage" cut must be like.

I love it but it's still really stiff. does anyone know if these jackets will soften up and age at all? I'd love for this jacket to get a little more worked in, but, it's nylon, so who knows...

I've had my Gibson L-2B for nearly 2 1/2 yrs and it seems to have become more pliable? Or it seems to drape a little better. Definitely not stiff at all anymore, if it was ever that way. Anyway, still love it...a timeless piece that will always stay with me.

Great jacket you've got, btw. And you're right...the original looks too bibendum for my taste.

hmm...I don't even see the L-2B on the BR site anymore. Or the HP site, where I bought it. Wonder what happened?

i imagine the stiffness of the ma-1 comes from the wool fiber layer and will ease a bit with age...

self-promo alert - if anybody wants to check out some of my comments on this particular piece in connection with the current heritage (nee workwear) trend, check out my blog (linked from my signature). it is part 3 of a series that i need to get around to completing

I own an L2-B and I couldn't be happier. After almost two years it is soft with a nice drape to it, and, after a rough introduction to pavement in a bike accident a year and a half ago, has not deteriorated one bit. Sold jacket that I will spend my life in pending no serious weight gain.

And the inner bronze color, incredible.

it's been few years since i've been wearing my gibson ma-1, and i completely forgot how stiff it was when i first got it. definitely is becoming more comfortable/softer all the time. it's now one of my favorite cold to cool weather jacket.

as a side note, my zip problem i had. i had BR fix it for me, and it's been completely problem-free ever since. :cool:

If i recall correctly (via Kiya) this is being re-released for fall/winter 2010, plan on picking one up. It's not readily available through history preservation is it?

Funny that you chose to focus on this piece ready, was using it as a primary example in a paper I'm writing on workwear/military repros. Something about it is just so compelling.

If i recall correctly (via Kiya) this is being re-released for fall/winter 2010, plan on picking one up. It's not readily available through history preservation is it?

Funny that you chose to focus on this piece ready, was using it as a primary example in a paper I'm writing on workwear/military repros. Something about it is just so compelling.

my theory is because it uses older/unfamiliar technology (materials) to great effect. you could argue that repro chambrays and denim are comprehensible through our contemporary experience of same (albeit transformed by contemporary manufacturing techniques), however the fabric choices and the way they're used in the ma-1 (3L nylon/wool/nylon) give us a different experience than any of the technologies we're used to in outerwear - high performance, down or synthetic fill... warm but not stifling, heavy yet not bulky. combined with the classic design, it's both familiar and alien at the same time.

btw i think it is still available - usually HP will indicate if sizes are limited or whatever. they were actually on sale at forward for a while....

did you see that alpha has their own "authentic" ma-1 for $200? would be interesting to compare

http://www.shopalphaindustries.com/Alpha/mens/products.php?item=361

I had a love/hate relationship with mine. Nearly sold it a few times. Now it is firmly in the love hemisphere. Wore it a couple times this week. Good stuff.

Definitely less stiff now than when new.

I would be interested to hear your pros/cons. I've been on the fence about this jacket forever, but I just can't bring myself to pull the trigger.

Not many cons if this jacket interests you.

For a while I thought it was a little aggressive.

Depending on what you look like, the skinhead thing may be too much.

I know this jacket was designed for wearing in a cockpit, but i just don't find it comfortable in the driver seat of a car.

There's nothing wrong with this jacket taken as an object in a vacuum, but it is all the other baggage that sometimes gets in the way. Strange that Mr. Gibson chose this as Cayce's jacket since it is such a loaded object with such a storied history. Not as invisible or connotation-free as it first seems.

Sometimes I wish I had a normal BR A-1 instead of black; my only real gripe about the thing. Oh, and I wish the lining was orange. And yeah, I wish it laughed at my jokes.

^^^

I didn't even think of the skinhead connotations, but its a good point. I'm white with pretty short hair, so that's probably the vibe people would get. Definitely not an image I want to cultivate, but the jacket is so awesome.

What to do?

• 5 months later...

it's a warm jacket but it would not be my go-to on the coldest winter days because of how it is cut. the cold air just wants to sneak up the bottom of the jacket (it hits just below the belt) and the collar will not keep out old man winter's icy fingers (it tends to roll down in my experience)

bear in mind that the MA-1 is considered an all-season coat

not like, arctic