Anyone have the Buzz Rickson Pattern Recognition MA-1?

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

from the w. gibson blog xcoldricex linked:

People who complain about the very high cost don't understand the degree of sheer lunatic obsession that goes into these things. You are very unlikely to ever wear another piece of clothing this well-made. I know I never have. (They are actually better than the 1950s USAF originals, which were only finished to military contract standards.) They spent a million dollars, when the company started up, on machinery to reproduce 1950s USAF-spec Crown zippers.

mine should be in my hands today and i will confirm or deny this claim

;)

ok! will do, trinket. i always go to indigofan to perve out on your pics, so i'll be glad to return the favor. just forgive my measly two megapixels.

i got the jacket today and i REALLY lucked out on sizing. it fits perfectly. i ordered the LONG size entirely by accident (i was mortified when i realized it later); but i'm glad i did. the sleeves are just about perfect, nearly too short for my long arms. it is an amazing piece. the zipper is intense, i was not prepared for such a heavy duty piece of hardware.

it was worth the wait!

i am beginning to think we need a dedicated military jackets thread

here's a pic of some b-15s

billcolwellusaf1952tentng7.jpg

click for source

the buzz rickson catalog is addictive

i will scan the sweatshirt pages later tonight

they look very nice, v-stitched at the neck, long ribbing at the sleeves and hem

where did u get the catalog? yeah the sweats look amazing......i like the tshirts as well...but im not into the repros of actual jackets (fighter groups and leather patches and stuff) i like the plain issue ones.

the catalog was sent with my order. i am in a similar boat, but i prefer repros of fictional jackets. :teehee:

yeah...i guess i have the underlying fear (having never been in the military) that some veteran is gunna see me with his fighter group on and call me out on it. although fictional ones kinda solve the problem. hehe I think my next purchase is gunna be some eastmen leathers, a couple hundred more than buzz jackets but from what i see on HP very nice.

the store near me just got a shipment of the gibson collection. theyve got the jeans, shoes, and jackets. but theyve been selling quick. and if you need any buzz rickson gear, the store has a wallfull. they have alot of toyo clothing.

no flash/flourescent lights:

holly smokes... that looks nice. damn. Thanks for the pics DDML.

lucky you went with the long. the sleeve length is not quite short, but is concerning. I've been reading about the A2s feeling a bit short in the arms when new, but that the cuffs loosen and the leather relaxes to become a good fit... not sure if the same would happen with a nylon jacket.

i was thinking of an L2 because I thought the MA1 would be too puffy or it would make one look like a bouncer/security guard. but that's obviously not the case.

congratulations. it looks cooler on you than any of the hinoya guys or gibson. hahah.

... Niiiicely ... looking sharp and lucky that you fluked out and ended up long. I second guessed the high waist thing considering my order and had set my sights on a long size, but there's no 36's left ... don't feel too bad though as I'm still not convinced it's the right look for me. Yet.

Anyhow. Regarding the rest of the outfit, I can get the grey lambswool prepschool jumpers for you here off the market: many as you want for 60 Baht a piece. You just have to find the Korean locksmith to grind the buttons off your canes ...

i was thinking of an L2 because I thought the MA1 would be too puffy or it would make one look like a bouncer/security guard. but that's obviously not the case.

the L2 is a warmer weather jacket, so i don't think it would be an appropriate substitute.

as far as puffy, if you are at all worried about that, this jacket isn't for you. the jacket makes me look more massive, for sure. it is wide in the trunk and it does poof out some in the back------not a superfuture-approved fit. but it works for me!

anyway, looking like a bouncer is the least of your worries. the ma-1 is an iconic 80's san-francisco-gay signifier; the jacket is also popular with skinheads. and they say early mods also sported the ma-1, so rockers beware.

reg size chart

picture1rr8.png

long size chart:

picture1hz3.png

sorry for bumping this again, but i think i gave bad advice in PMs about this

i found the size charts for the Reg and Long sizes and they are waaaaay different.

the 38L i purchased is close to a 36R, but with longer arms and torso length

i also updated the pictures of Morley (hinoya) wearing a 38R and 38L for comparison

be advised that the HINOYA site has a seperate page for the Reg and Long sizes for this jacket

LONG

REG