the dude with the crazy sugarcanes

mizanation

I was reading his website with a japanese friend and she pointed out his technique and theory for washing jeans.

I might have not understood well but here's what I got.

He says that he used to wash his jeans once or twice every year. He points out that it's not good for jeans because it's not hygenic, it makes the denim more fragile (it'll rip easier) and it makes the denim softer.

He says that in theory you should wash jeans every week or 126 hours (not sure if got that part right). The advantages would be that the jeans would be clean and crisp.

To wash jeans with minimal fading he suggests washing with a lot of water and a pinch (litterally) of detergent.

For the initial soak, he says 2 hours in a bucket with water at 40 degrees and a weigh on top. Then a regular machine wash. He then puts his jeans 40 minutes in the dryer.

I might have some mistakes here so feel free to correct me. I'll try to translate more later.

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought I'd post on a pre-existing thread rather than make my own new one. (It's bad enough that I'm asking this question)

I have a pair of 45s, which I can JUST about do up all the button on. I was under the impression that Sugar Cane stuff all shrinks a good inch or so upon washing, but on the tag inside the jeans, it says they are sanforized. Is this because a) they ARE sanforized or B) because Lee jeans are sanforized and Sugar Cane's level of detail extends to reproducing the original Lee tags?

yeah, the lee repros are sanforized-------a true repro would have to be.

2000---thanks for the translation. the cold soak followed by a machine wash is mind-boggling. putting a weight on top of the jeans during the soak is genius.

Edited by denimdestroyedmylife on May 5, 2006 at 10:05 AM

so a machine wash every month and then into the dryer... if this guy didnt have pictures of his jeans on the internet you would all be talking alot of shit.

see kids... the eternal 811s were every month. these sugarcanes were every month. people here have jeans that look like shit after six months. maybe we should reevaluate some things.

If you've lost your faith in superfuture, Oh the end won't be long

Because if it's gone for you then I too may lose it, And that would be wrong

I've tried so hard to keep myself from falling

Back into my bad old ways

And it chars my heart to always hear you calling

Calling for the good old days

Because there were no good old days

These are the good old days

Edited by cheapmuthafukr on May 5, 2006 at 11:34 AM

I think he lets them dry in the sun after the washes, except for the first soak to fully shrink them I guess.

Remember that he says that all in theory (I think). You should do whatever you feel like.

I don't think he washed those canes every week, I might be wrong though.

Personally, I've been washing my 811 every two months, except when I'm really lazy. It really makes the denim crisper and the creases hold much better, even without starch.

I'll try to translate more later.

Edited by 2000dB on May 5, 2006 at 11:10 AM

Quote:

he washes the canes once a month. you can put his site in google translator and it says something about menstrual cycles and washing jeans 28 days or something......he def. doesn't wash them every week, it is every month.

--- Original message by obsessis on May 5, 2006 11:26 AM

Exactly, he just points out that 126 hours (which is 18hours a day for a week) would be the best interval to wash jeans at. I don't know why though.

yeah, i tried some on at the army surplus last weekend to imagine how the ma-1 fits, but the sizing differences between different brands of ma-1 are crazy. a size small of the very very cheap one was HUUUUUGE. but i am a size medium in the Alpha brand. i don't know, the fit seems good in the chest, i just can't get used to the puffy-ass sleeves. i am hoping that it will all come together buzz rickson.

someone stop me, please.

Edited by denimdestroyedmylife on May 5, 2006 at 12:27 PM

Quote: see kids... the eternal 811s were every month. these sugarcanes were every month. people here have jeans that look like shit after six months. maybe we should reevaluate some things.

reevaluate?

no...

you just need to reread.

he has a crazy active lifestyle, biking, hiking. He probably puts more wear on his jeans in a week than most people here do in a month, that necessitates washing every month.

but unless you're biking seven miles every day and hiking on the weekends, i don't reccommend washing every month unless you want to have a washed-out pair that "looks like shit" as you put it.

Edited by artificialsky on May 5, 2006 at 03:03 PM

it is 3 years.

everyone wants to know 'how to wash and wear'

i think you know there is no rule and no answer.

there is always a result, not a process.

but the process, it is everything, i believe.

heavy riding causes ripping, making holes , wearing out easily.

it also causes heavy and beautiful honeycombs,deep and clear whisker.

getting sweat, turning be dirty so i wanna wash it for my jeans and people.

because it would stink !

of course Jeans is a workwear,but only a cloth....

i wanna wash but not fadind away, so i use a pinch of detergent.

Quote:

ryu, did you wash your jeans after a month after the first wear?

--- Original message by jeffvyain on May 2, 2006 11:40 PM

Year, i wash once a month.

if i started to wear a new one at 2 Jan, i will wash it at 2 Feb.

Quote:

that coin case is badass. was looking at coin cases on yoox or bluefly, but the ones i like are $170. nah!

ryu, i am interested to know how you shrunk the canes when you first got them. soak or a machine wash?

EDIT: picked up a nice tray-style coin purse in my neighborhood for $10, nice leather, too..

Edited by denimdestroyedmylife on May 6, 2006 at 08:41 AM

--- Original message by denimdestroyedmylife on May 3, 2006 05:07 AM

hi

sorry i can't

that coin case is badass. was looking at coin cases on yoox or bluefly

my way to shurunk denim is....

2000dB translate my word, thanks!!!

For the initial soak, he says 2 hours in a bucket with water at 40 degrees and a weigh on top. Then a regular machine wash. He then puts his jeans 40 minutes in the dryer.

this is my way.

washing starch away, soaking 2 hours and washing without detergent.

to shrunk my denim to the maximum, after that what i wrote i put my jeans 40 minutes in the dryer.

Quote:

man, ever since I saw those sc47s I've been dying to get a pair... also miz is officially my new favorite sf poster (who would've thought we'd get ryu to post here?)

ryu, how does Edwin's denim quality compare to your Sugarcanes? I noticed that you have a pair on your site... did you buy them used or did you just wear them in?

I am currently wearing a pair of Edwin 505sxr and I find the denim to be really nice... color is dark, deep blue and real thick. WIsh I had a size 30 instead of a 31, though... they're a bit on the dowdy side

--- Original message by jubei on May 3, 2006 05:37 AM

thanks jubei. it's nice name ! is it Â\•º‰qÂHÂH

My edwin i got is used wash.

of course Edwin is good company.

they have very good denim i think.

New 503 is very cool. especially that contrast and vertical fading is so cool!

To horriblyjollyjinx

i don't know Julian Red,,,,, sorry.

How do you mean that European jeans are better?

I think japanese jeans are better because the denim is much, much better.

It's usually thicker and has much better color. If you want to wear in a pair of Nudies

or Acnes, you should wear them for 6-12 months before the first wash, because the color is

worse than japanese jeans.

Thanks for you question ! it's good!!

in my opinion, the answer is view point.

The viewpoint of FABRIC

i agree your thought. Japanese ones are thick and beatuiful fadind.

The one of sikhouette.

lowrised,skinny and detail are better than any othersÂ@i think.

WW2 type is high-rised and dowdy.

66 type is skinny but a bit high-rised.

Ryu, Are you still wearing your sugar canes, or are you on to new jeans? I have a pair of the cane 47s and wore them for about 5 months while I worked construction. They came out with a nice fade, but nothing like yours. I think it has to do with the fact that mine were a little baggy.

Anyways, if you haven't changed the jeans you are wearing are you looking at a new pair and if so what pair?

hi rnrswitch!

now i wear new jeans since Feb 2005

here is my cycle of wearing

http://letgoasyoulike.fc2web.com/cycle.htm

my jeans now i wear is Joe McCoy 901.

this one is no longer produced.....

[url="http://letgoasyoulike.fc2web.com/mccoy.htm"]<a href="http://letgoasyoulike.fc2web.com/mccoy.htm" target="_blank">http://letgoasyoulike.fc2web.com/mccoy.htm</a>

this time

i didn't wash 5 month!!!

after my first wash, i didn't ride so much.... so i could keep wearing!!

check it out !

http://letgoasyoulike.fc2web.com/mccoy.htm

of course

i wear my cane ! not always . sometime....

it's my treasure....

Quote:

wow, your joe mccoy's look great too. you should be a professional jean wearer. very impressive!

do you do any hand rubbing or hand creasing?

(te de wasatou kosurimasu ka? te de hige o orimasu ka?)

or is everything "natural?"

welcome back, ryu!

--- Original message by mizanation on May 6, 2006 10:10 AM

hi buddy !

i used to do it sometime.

now i do nothing , be in natural.

wearing in innocently and washing with very little detergent,wearing.....

this is my stlye.

Hey Ryu, you should pick up a pair of Studio D'artisan SD-103. I agree that most Japanese repros are rather high-waisted and "dowdy" (that is a great word!! Perfect, haha!)

However, the SD-103 is relatively low-rise (10 inches on a size 34) and it is relatively slim. It is not skinny, but it is certainly not baggy. About as slim as a '66 501.

I'm going to wash mine tomorrow, I'll take pictures after that.