Jeans of the Old West: A History

aho

r I would like to know where the tin mines were in the U.K? It's my guess right now, that the Neustadter Brothers would have marketed clothing to the miners? ............I photographed one of Brit Eaton's, turn of the century, Neustadter Brother's shirts with a made in England label..

Was that the swastika patterned shirt??

What makes you think copper mining? Mining in britain was enormous with mines for Lead, Iron, Silver, Slate etc.

If you could pinpoint that office location, I'm sure you would strike gold with information ;)

It is known that Manchester factories were the first to produce 'denim'. Altho I don't know whether it might have been a cotton twill without the natural fill yarn.

Many US manufacturers used British cloth for shirts, especially wool IIRC. When I have a moment I'd like to do more research about when Brits first produced denim with a natural fill.

Was that the swastika patterned shirt??

What makes you think copper mining? Mining in britain was enormous with mines for Lead, Iron, Silver, Slate etc.

If you could pinpoint that office location, I'm sure you would strike gold with information ;)

I only know about the tin mines, did the U.K have silver mines? I believe you would have had lots of coal mines, where are these mines? No, it was not the swastika shirt, the shirt I was talking about ,looked like tan cotton (with no pattern on the fabric) I will get the address for the N.B. Paul.. I look forward to your research, did you ever get the ticking fabric I sent you? Ringring- Maynard-killer b- bluegold- Paul T- and rusholmeruffian I can't thank you enough... would rep, must spread. I think I will be in the U.K next year for three weeks? I would like to buy you gent's a pint or two.:)

main british coal mining areas (now mainly ex-mining areas - long story there...) are yorkshire & the north east, the midlands (also known as 'the black country' for obvious reasons...) and wales. most are shut down now. wales also has significant slate mines.

i guess you know the climate here is not going to have been kind to old jeans, so it's very unlikely you'll find any 'in the wild'. also, access to the mines could be very problematic (although i think some of the cornish tin mines might be easier to get into).

main british coal mining areas (now mainly ex-mining areas - long story there...) are yorkshire & the north east, the midlands (also known as 'the black country' for obvious reasons...) and wales. most are shut down now. wales also has significant slate mines.

i guess you know the climate here is not going to have been kind to old jeans, so it's very unlikely you'll find any 'in the wild'. also, access to the mines could be very problematic (although i think some of the cornish tin mines might be easier to get into).

How about barns and old houses, clothes being used for insulation? Trash dumps in well drained rocky soil might be able to preserve clothing?

@Sansome1877

There's one or two of us who would like to buy you a pint or three, especially after being dumstruck by your forthcoming sequel.

(apologies for being slightly off-topic)

Look forward to meeting you! Any of you guys play dart's? You can't find that many people here in the U.S that like to play.

Cool. We could play 'killer' to see who buys the next round.

i'm a bit rubbish at darts tbh... ;)

sansome - one thing that occurred to me: the whole of the northwest is littered with derelict cotton mills that have closed down and remained empty since the cotton industry moved out - loads have been redeveloped into offices, flats & other uses (I work in one...), but there's many still lying empty. probably death traps, but some of them will still have old stock & machinery in.

some years ago i went for a wander round an old embroidery mill near where i lived at the time, and it was full of rusted old looms, gold & silver thread and the like, as well as room after room of old records & samples.

that particular mill has long been redeveloped into flats, and i've sadly lost the souveniers i kept...

there's quite a culture of 'urban exploration' of derelict buildings in the uk at the moment, and while most keep their favourite sites jealously guarded, it might be worth asking around on an urban exploration forum - the main british one is 28 days later - there's loads of reports of industrial/mill sites here...

i'm a bit rubbish at darts tbh... ;)

sansome - one thing that occurred to me: the whole of the northwest is littered with derelict cotton mills that have closed down and remained empty since the cotton industry moved out - loads have been redeveloped into offices, flats & other uses (I work in one...), but there's many still lying empty. probably death traps, but some of them will still have old stock & machinery in.

some years ago i went for a wander round an old embroidery mill near where i lived at the time, and it was full of rusted old looms, gold & silver thread and the like, as well as room after room of old records & samples.

that particular mill has long been redeveloped into flats, and i've sadly lost the souveniers i kept...

there's quite a culture of 'urban exploration' of derelict buildings in the uk at the moment, and while most keep their favourite sites jealously guarded, it might be worth asking around on an urban exploration forum - the main british one is 28 days later - there's loads of reports of industrial/mill sites here...

Thanks for the link, great info, The U.K has to have some old work wear hiding out.... waiting to be found.

Been having a look at the 19th century british library newspapers.

No good results on 'denim' or work clothing' but just found this... with 'cotton mill'

Help me out, what words shall I put in the database?

Interesting that Paul (i think) mentioned Manchester was where denim was being made.

COTTON MILL BURNED DOWN .

The Dundee Courier & Argus (Dundee, Scotland), Monday, January 03, 1881; Issue 8560. 19th Century British Library Newspapers: Part II.

Fetch.jpg

more newspapers...

Is this anything to do with LS&CO??? 'San Francisco' sent alarm bells ringing.

The Morning Post (London, England), Monday, February 17, 1890; pg. 5; Issue 36715. 19th Century British Library Newspapers: Part II.

Screenshot2011-03-22at174731.png

when I go back to check out the California newspapers, I can check the February 17th 1890 date, to see if it mentions Levi Strauss, in this bank purchase?

Wow, nice find if I may say so my self! Didn't realise quite how wealthy that man was!

Wonder if lynn downey at Levis knew that!

Yea, nice find, I am almost certain Lynn would know about this one. My wife found some other, really interesting Levi history a few months ago. I am almost certain that know one knows about what my wife found, because I think you would have heard about it already. We are thinking about revealing the new found data in the next Inventory mag, along with some new Levi theories and a few Levi pieces that haven't been seen before?

Yea, nice find, I am almost certain Lynn would know about this one. My wife found some other, really interesting Levi history a few months ago. I am almost certain that know one knows about what my wife found, because I think you would have heard about it already. We are thinking about revealing the new found data in the next Inventory mag, along with some new Levi theories and a few Levi pieces that haven't been seen before?

Sounds great Mike, can you give us a little snippet, or even a clue?

(..c'mon)

Sounds great Mike, can you give us a little snippet, or even a clue?

(..c'mon)

I am going to show a pair of #2 Levi's, just like the dead man's pants, only these #2's that I am going to show, still have blank hardware, You can still read the label on this pair, so you will see why I think lot numbers were not put on in 1890.BTW It's looking like the double needle yolk and folded under waistband happened sometime in 1891? I might be able to touch on my 1876 xx theory( this might take up to many pages?) I think you might have to wait for the magazine to come out, to find out the interesting Levi history we found( sorry about that:)

Im thinking about showing the evolution of the two horse brand label (first 3-4 years) These are some of the things, that I hope make it into the magazine?

Who carries Inventory magazine? I haven't managed to find it around.

You can get it online from Inventory I believe.

I love the idea of using rope for a belt. Is there a knot that is easier to untie. I hear the fisherman's knot is…too reliable :P

That's a fisherman's knot. In the olden days, it was used to repair broken fishing line because it binds well and is easy to tie with wet/cold hands. It's a super easy knot--just two overhand knots, each tied around the standing end of the other line. The two knots pull together and bind up into a single knot. It's less useful now because it doesn't work well with plastic monofilament lines.

300px-Spierenstich.jpg

These days you see it more often on friendship bracelets.

lzpsakummnep.jpg

The slideability (so to speak) of the two knots lets you adjust the size of the bracelet to fit your wrist. I bet it worked pret' much the same with that miner's belt. If it were me I'd've used two blake's hitches instead of overhand knots. But that's just me.