7062090881_174a4bdce4_c.jpg

towards the gulf

6916010606_ea6e9416cf_c.jpg

the shack

7062092835_61c6be80df_c.jpg

sinecure.

Thanks avantgard215; I am looking forward to seeing your future pics :)

Not very cohesive today; just some odds and ends:

Getting used to a shorter depth of field:

7062630011_8fb5df6491_c.jpg

7062741979_ce88ef6232_c.jpg

Very much liking the New Portra 400 (previously I had only tried 800)... just in time for their price increase :/

6914400534_c7515baa43_c.jpg

Edited by dacrow

6916562582_65945218f3_c.jpg

7062644303_f8eac6d80d_c.jpg

7062639857_7d701d1d01_c.jpg

all shot with Leica M9, 50mm summicron f/2 while wandering down my beach. I fucking love this camera - it really does change how I approach shooting in general, and that's amazing. I literally haven't left it at home since I bought it. I highly recommend shooting with a rangefinder if you can.

Edited by RandR

all shot with Leica M9, 50mm summicron f/2 while wandering down my beach. I fucking love this camera - it really does change how I approach shooting in general, and that's amazing. I literally haven't left it at home since I bought it. I highly recommend shooting with a rangefinder if you can.

First of all, these pics look great. I have been wondering though recently what exactly the "rangefinder mindset" or difference is from an SLR... having used the M9 what would you say that difference is? I've used fixed-lens RF's a little bit, but other than the quieter shutter/seeing a bit outside of the shooting frame I don't understand the advantage that RF's offer. These seem to be differences that would only give a small edge, and in the context of street photography. (Of course at the tradeoff of seeing exactly what you'll get).

First of all, these pics look great. I have been wondering though recently what exactly the "rangefinder mindset" or difference is from an SLR... having used the M9 what would you say that difference is? I've used fixed-lens RF's a little bit, but other than the quieter shutter/seeing a bit outside of the shooting frame I don't understand the advantage that RF's offer. These seem to be differences that would only give a small edge, and in the context of street photography. (Of course at the tradeoff of seeing exactly what you'll get).

my background:

i shot with a D300, mamiya RZ67pro II(studio work), and now the leica M9.

it's different in the sense that you actively shoot exactly what you see, and that you have to frame the shot first. With a normal DSLR, you can just shoot away, but at the same time it's very obtrusive. The leica is so fucking small. it's like the size of a point and shoot, except you still control the shot in the same way as a DSLR. The glass on leica is literally the best in the world(some might say hassys have the best glass but I disagree, even though the c330 is a great cam), and as a result you get really beautiful, creamy bokeh on things outside of your focal range. because it's a rangefinder, the light hitting the sensor is multiplied, to the point where shooting ISO 160 at f/2, my SS is 1/4000, and I can still be overexposed at noon.

The main thing for me is just ease of use with incredible glass. I just walked around at lunch and had a grilled cheese at this spot in seaside. I took a few pictures while I was eating/chilling, because it's so simple - there's no adjusting anything really, there's no holding a giant lens or a huge camera body, you can just shoot from the hip absentmindedly - which makes sense in digital but not so much in film anymore.

Also the images I posted are not edited except for a bit of exposure adjustment. They aren't even cropped for the most part. I just shoot, upload, and that's it. It's a different workflow experience than a DSLR, completely. I'll be shooting some modeling stuff this weekend, so we will see how that differs - but really I would say the shooting itself is like shooting with a medium format, less like a DSLR.

You'll always look intimidating with a big ass DSLR and a big ass lens. With an RF, you can just pretty much shoot what you want and no one will bother you, be it the cops or the subject itself.

I use a film SLR with a small standard lens, which is why this difference isn't as obvious/drastic, especially if the RF has a huge ass lens like a noctilux. But if you're comparing digital cameras then I absolutely agree... the sight of somebody using a clunky DSLR with a side grip or something for candid pics is comical

It would be very nice if interchangeable-lens RF's (and their lenses) were less expensive, because they are pretty damn cool.

my background:

i shot with a D300, mamiya RZ67pro II(studio work), and now the leica M9.

it's different in the sense that you actively shoot exactly what you see, and that you have to frame the shot first. With a normal DSLR, you can just shoot away, but at the same time it's very obtrusive. The leica is so fucking small. it's like the size of a point and shoot, except you still control the shot in the same way as a DSLR. The glass on leica is literally the best in the world(some might say hassys have the best glass but I disagree, even though the c330 is a great cam), and as a result you get really beautiful, creamy bokeh on things outside of your focal range. because it's a rangefinder, the light hitting the sensor is multiplied, to the point where shooting ISO 160 at f/2, my SS is 1/4000, and I can still be overexposed at noon.

The main thing for me is just ease of use with incredible glass. I just walked around at lunch and had a grilled cheese at this spot in seaside. I took a few pictures while I was eating/chilling, because it's so simple - there's no adjusting anything really, there's no holding a giant lens or a huge camera body, you can just shoot from the hip absentmindedly - which makes sense in digital but not so much in film anymore.

Also the images I posted are not edited except for a bit of exposure adjustment. They aren't even cropped for the most part. I just shoot, upload, and that's it. It's a different workflow experience than a DSLR, completely. I'll be shooting some modeling stuff this weekend, so we will see how that differs - but really I would say the shooting itself is like shooting with a medium format, less like a DSLR.

sorry for the double post.. seems we were writing simultaneously.

Thanks for that explanation. it does seem like the M9 streamlines everything both in terms of process and in physical size. I hope to have the $$ to try one one day. I'm going to have to read up on that multiplication factor of light hitting the sensor also. all my favorite pictures from other photographers are generally with leica lenses, it's really just the price that makes it so unobtainable.

Edited by dacrow

I use a film SLR with a small standard lens, which is why this difference isn't as obvious/drastic, especially if the RF has a huge ass lens like a noctilux. But if you're comparing digital cameras then I absolutely agree... the sight of somebody using a clunky DSLR with a side grip or something for candid pics is comical

It would be very nice if interchangeable-lens RF's (and their lenses) were less expensive, because they are pretty damn cool.

That's why I like micro 4/3. I don't think I can afford an M series Leica in the near future, but at least an Oly EP3/Pana GF3 with a pancake lens is attainable :D

That's why I like micro 4/3. I don't think I can afford an M series Leica in the near future, but at least an Oly EP3/Pana GF3 with a pancake lens is attainable :D

i'm gonna be in tokyo for a week next month and am relying on one of these as my only quiet unobtrusive camera.... haven't used it much since my canon a1 works for most situations so it remains to be seen how well the "poor man's leica" will work.

04c370118b694276df466e31bb5abc2f3dbca4.jpg

the only sample pic I scanned: (film is fuji 400H, shot @ f1.8)

7067171131_cb27e5c7d9_c.jpg

obviously an entire different animal than digital rangefinders or 4/3rds... but just throwing this out there

Edited by dacrow

Some shots from my trip to Tokyo and Hong Kong past 2 weeks

7069007085_7fd2facd2c_z.jpg

20120401-62 by Bernard C., on Flickr

6922883362_898f5b5150_z.jpg

20120330-1 by Bernard C., on Flickr

6922884072_f393b1f457_z.jpg

20120330-2 by Bernard C., on Flickr

6922898354_082c4f8c94_z.jpg

20120330-22 by Bernard C., on Flickr

7068988617_26a23272a1_z.jpg

20120401-35 by Bernard C., on Flickr

6922914916_de846da07b_z.jpg

20120401-43 by Bernard C., on Flickr

7069003019_934c8b1c39_z.jpg

20120401-55 by Bernard C., on Flickr

6922926054_cd8e3318ac_z.jpg

20120401-61 by Bernard C., on Flickr

Nice photos cruzron, I'm getting an oly ep1 or 2 with a pancake next month, do you have one? I find myself using my iPhone for pictures more than my 5d these days lol the thing is just to bulky . ( well asides from paid jobs)

Speaking of which, a friend of mine took some photos for a magazine with his iPhone that turned out pretty well( hipstamatix with the food lens)