Studio D'artisan

LFC4ever

Hi guys,

Well unfortunately I had to sell my 1st pair of SD's, SD103 due to the nut busting rise and tight thighs. Perhaps I should've sized 1 up from tts?? Anyway I'm looking for a slightly roomier alternative now.

I saw the SD 601-00 on Tate & Yoko and was wondering if anyone had any experience with this cut? Is it a new(ish) release?

I guess you could say I'm looking for an SDA model as close to a '55 cut as possible. Does anyone have any input? As I said a few pages back, I love SDA's build quality and overall feel but I'm struggling a bit with their cuts.

Oh and Raaawr = Hot!

Thanks all,

Mike.

Edited by Mild7

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

BTW - these are produced for SDA by Double Volante.

I saw these in May at the SDA store in Tokyo... I think they are only available there. I totally forgot what the deal/story is with these but the patch is great/funny.

P5151367.JPG?psid=1

Just got a SD-103!!! Very cool!

But don't know why the left leg is slightly twisted. I have this problem and I recall my brother has the same problem on his SD as well.

Does anyone has the same problem? Why it is like this? Am I doing something wrong?

Thank you!

has to do with shrinkage after you wash them. some people are super into it cos its vintage as fuq. you aren't doing anything wrong, it happens.

Denim has changed throughout its history - even in the 50s and 60s the technology used was very simple. The looms on which it was woven would do so very slowly... the denim had a unique texture and appearance. And errors - in stitching, inconsistency, other little quirks - were part of that unique charm.

Leg twist happens, as has been pointed out, because as the jeans shrink the fabric tries to follow the direction of the weavve. Different old Levi's would exhibit varying amounts of leg twist - and although there are theories, nobody's certain why, it could be to do with how the loom was set up that day. Then in the 70s, denim was "improved" - they came up with a technique called skewing, that got rid of it. At the same time, they introduced projectile looms, which made the denim much smoother. At the time they thought this was great. At last, perfect denim!

A few years later they decided perfect denim, with no errors, was characterless. And leg-twist was part of the character that people missed.

SDA are made pretty much in tribute to those old Levi's. I know the natural indigo version at least, and maybe yours too, are made on Toyoda looms that date back to the 1920s - I saw them in use just a few weeks ago. The leg twist is a quirk that's an intrinsic part of their character, like the grain on black and white film, like the natural analogue compression of vinyl records. Like the way that really attractive people aren't perfectly symmetrical.

OF course, some people prefer digital photos, MP3s , and the perfection of retouched footballers' wives. So we can't say one is definitively better than the others, it's just what you prefer. What made you choose SDA in the first place?

Edited by Paul T

Thank you very much for your responds! It is great, and I learn more about denim!!! Thanks Paul!

Oh, by the way, the reason I choose SD was because I have a momotaro. I love the fit and the slow fade characteristic. I was asking around different stores and people recommend me to give SD a try~

to setterman: I am not "don't like twist leg", this is the first raw denim I have out of 3 others having the twist leg. So it was new to me, and I am just wonder I messed up something big!!!

Thanks to all answered my questions!!! Those are great answers. I was trying to post some pictures of my jeans on here but it turned out unsuccessfully. Well, I will try it again and thanks again for all of you guys.

• 3 weeks later...

Was planning to replace my too tight sz33 103's with some sz34 101's.. Unfortunately the 101's inseam is 33.75" and I need 35.

What are the thoughts on sizing up 1 on 103's instead? Maybe trying a 36? Look crap? I'm a perfect 34 in Samurai, IH and Eternal.

Edited by Mild7

You're right for sizes 34 and up, the 103 inseam is longer. What was it on your size 33 - according to BiG, it should have still been 35".

If you fancy the 101 cut in 21oz with a long inseam, the D1546 could do the trick:

http://blueingreensoho.com/site/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=10432&category_id=&manufacturer_id=12&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=62

Also, if you fancy some LHT action, the 001s have a much longer inseam than the 101s and are a similar cut, though you'd need to size down one from your 101 size. I think superdenim.co.uk have them.

Edited by Maynard Friedman