what are you reading today?

almondcrush

Fuck, I read that book on a regular basis. Add Jim Harrison, James Crumley, and Jonathan Miles to your reading list.

Yeah, After I read the book I looked up his other works and I learned that they have been basically critically panned and no one really seems to like them. Still curious to check his other 2 books out though. I'll check out those authors you suggested as well. For right now, this book caught my eye cause Im very much into running at the moment...

n304482.jpg

A little less the halfway through on this and its very easy reading. Not a bad read so far but provides very little as far as character and plot. Mainly the book was obviously written by a man who love srunning and put a loose story around the feeling running gives him

is Gravity's Rainbow worth reading?

Mindblowing book. But you kind of have to make up your mind to read it and not give up. It isn't easy but it is worth it.

Here's a good online guide.

http://gravitys-rainbow.pynchonwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

And this is kind of a tiny, random thing in GR. Pynchon basically anticipated Darth Vader.

"Then come - the Space Helmets! At first you may be alarmed, on no-

ticing that they appear to be fashioned from skulls. At least the upper

dome of this unpleasant headgear is certainly the skull of some manlike

creature built to a larger scale... Perhaps Titans lived under this

mountain, and their skulls got harvested like giant mushrooms... The

eye-sockets are fitted with quartz lenses. Filters may be slipped in.

Nasal bone and upper teeth have been replaced by a metal breathing

apparatus, full of slots and grating. Correspondingly to the jaws is a built-

up section, almost a facial codpiece, of iron and ebonite, perhaps hous-

ing a radio unit, thrusting forward in black fatality. For an extra few

marks you are allowed to slip one of these helmets on. Once inside these

yellow caverns, looking out now through neutral-density orbits, the

sound of your breath hissing up and around the bone spaces, what you

thought was a balanced mind is little help. The compartment the

Schwarzkommando were quartered in is no longer an amusing travel-

ogue of native savages taking on ways of the 21st century..."

darthVader.jpg

Guys I'm having a brainfart maybe you can help. Name this book:

It's buy an ex-CIA agent who details how America pays third world governments under the guise of a helpful hand in hopes that they cant repay us. When they cant repay us, they in effect become our slave states and are forced to do our bidding.

I thought the authors name was John Archer or something but I cant find a thing.

Im trying to read Crime and Punishment but its been tough going...slight lapses in concentration and i find myself easily lost in the seemingly unconnected ramblings that go on and on. The notes and the russian names of newly introduced characters only help in diverting my focus.

How to proceed? How to persist??

Im trying to read Crime and Punishment but its been tough going...slight lapses in concentration and i find myself easily lost in the seemingly unconnected ramblings that go on and on. The notes and the russian names of newly introduced characters only help in diverting my focus.

It helps to read the book aloud, sometimes I switch accents to keep my attention going. Or just put the book away if you really aren't getting into it and maybe come back to it later instead of feeling like you have to trudge through the thing

Come back to it later, sometimes it's just not the right timing, you aren't in the right mindset. Happens to me all the time. A while back started reading Love in the Time of Cholera, couldn't get into and then about a month ago during an especially boring statistics lecture I started reading it and wasn't able to put it down.