what are you reading today?

almondcrush

So, I usually read books on current events and biographies on a regular basis with a few novels thrown in here and there (last one was Colson Whitehead's "Apex Hides The Hurt"). But, after the brutal mental ass whipping of studying for the bar exam...and the 3 months of agony I have of stressing over waiting for the results, I decided to keep it light and read another novel but not sure which I should purchase. Just looking for suggestions here if anyone has any? I would prefer something modern and recent as opposed to an old classic.

So, I usually read books on current events and biographies on a regular basis with a few novels thrown in here and there (last one was Colson Whitehead's "Apex Hides The Hurt"). But, after the brutal mental ass whipping of studying for the bar exam...and the 3 months of agony I have of stressing over waiting for the results, I decided to keep it light and read another novel but not sure which I should purchase. Just looking for suggestions here if anyone has any? I would prefer something modern and recent as opposed to an old classic.

What are you looking for lengthwise?

I thoroughly enjoyed this, but it's rather long:

2666cover.jpg

A shorter read (and a little older...):

067976080601lzzzzzzz.jpg

I actually went to Barnes and Noble last night and sat down and started on "A Fan's Notes" by Fredrick Exely which I had been meaning to read for years nolw...i got through the first 80 pages easily because its a great read so far...so I ended up purchasing it. Thats gonna be my read for now...but the way im tearing through it I'll be done in a day or so...so i'll take your suggestion and go for the shorter read you suggested there. thanks allot man.

RE: Rand

Personally, I think she's been given an overly bad rap. Yes, she was bitter, angry, and not that great of a writer (although, despite the repetition and slightly flat characters, I don't think she's completely devoid of talent). But in regards to her philosophy, I think she is quite misrepresented. Though Rand may rave about the plebs, the worst punishment she ever suggests for them is that they be left to their own devices. If anything, she believes that man can succeed on his own, and that those who chose not to should be allowed to fail. Rand's only elitism is a self-determined one - it's not a group that people are locked out of. Several characters rise out of humble beginnings to become members of her elite. She doesn't even completely outlaw charity - she merely suggests that it be given by choice, and to those with similar values. Personally, I'd only give to those who, through charity, will eventually reach the point of not needing charity (discounting those who, for reasons outside their own control, cannot be self-sustaining).

I guess my main point is that, before you criticize, you should actually read a Rand book. She's far from perfect, and often goes a bit overboard, but I hardly came away from Atlas Shrugged and Anthem with the image of her philosophy others seem to have. But perhaps I'm naive. The real irony is that most of the people that criticize her, as in this forum, would be members of her elite - intelligent, upwardly mobile and individual people.

Anyway, sorry for the long post. And to be on topic, I'm currently working through Ulysses, and Godel, Escher, Bach. Both of which are fantastic.

RE: Rand

Actually, I've read/suffered through most of her work just so I could see what all the hype was about. So, I'm not criticizing her without having read her novels.

But, having read it, I find myself wondering even more why she has any credibility at all... As literature her novels are awful: repetitive, heavy-handed, unnecessarily long, and rife with didactic and poorly written dialogue. And as a philosophy, Objectivism is really just a poor man's Existentialism with an extra dose of self-righteous moralizing.

I think the only real salvageable concept from her work is that an individual should pursue excellence in whatever they do. However, this same idea has also become the most unfortunate part of her legacy. She promoted the idea that such work toward self improvement includes accomplishing whatever you want regardless of the impact on other individuals and society. Essentially this amounts to morally sanctioning selfishness and worse, greed.

So, her followers have also used the concept to condemn anyone who is unwilling to participate in this pursuit (in most cases the pursuit of wealth/power, capitalism system, etc) as inferior or unworthy of existence. They denounce those who fail to perform (poor people, non-"elite" people, etc) simply because they do not share in her values nor do they adhere to the Objectivist's subjective interpretation of a standard of "excellence". She and her followers have bastardized the concept of self improvement to justify self importance, to establish a false sense of elitism, and create a hollow moral superiority.

"to love money is to know and love the fact that money is the creation of the best power within you.." -AR

And that's why a lot of people want to make toilet paper out of anything she ever wrote.

[/wall of text]

chinamievillethecityand.jpg

I'm actually surprised by how much I am enjoying this. It feels like the sort of book that would get written if Kafka and Philip K Dick were sitting around high, talking shit, but then assembled the details into a coherent narrative later. Equal parts surreal detective story and allegorical examination of politics, nations, borders, people, language, and culture.

Re: Salaryman

Aye, I see what you're saying, especially about her writing.

On the issue of greed, I'm not so sure. Rand is clearly opposed to violence, theft, and lying. I don't think she'd stand here defending the architects of the current wall street debacle, most of whom rose to prominence not through pure talent, but through questionable and immoral business practices.

So, my own personal moral dilemma is where one should set the limits of greed. We all desire things, and, for the most part, will work to get them. If one does not, by force, deprive another of their ability to do the same, is it immoral? Sorry to turn this into super-philosophy.

To return again to the topic - I finished Blood Meridian today, and quite liked it.

The Magus - John Fowles

(Opie that sounds incredible, will definitely be looking into it!)

You might as well start writing "(I'm doing this to get laid)" in front of every sentence you make.

He's danish so i hope you can find him translated.

chinamievillethecityand.jpg

I'm actually surprised by how much I am enjoying this. It feels like the sort of book that would get written if Kafka and Philip K Dick were sitting around high, talking shit, but then assembled the details into a coherent narrative later. Equal parts surreal detective story and allegorical examination of politics, nations, borders, people, language, and culture.

Looking forward to reading this. King Rat still ranks very highly in my mind. Why the surprised enjoyment?

Finished this last night

jacketcaefiohx.jpg

One of the most pleasurable reading experiences in recent memory. Gonna be hard to top this one.

Fuck, I read that book on a regular basis. Add Jim Harrison, James Crumley, and Jonathan Miles to your reading list.

Looking forward to reading this. King Rat still ranks very highly in my mind. Why the surprised enjoyment?

I'm always wary of books that have the author's name in larger font than the title of the book itself. Makes me think of trashy airport newsagency novels.

I was doubly wary in this case because i usually hate fantasy. This is definitely not fantasy. I think the specified genre, strange fiction, is quite apt.