what are you reading today?

almondcrush

^ Mmm just started it. Had to read some more of his stuff after I finished The Adventures of Augie March which I absolutely loved. This is so different, but it is just as excellent so far - could even be better, seeing as Augie got off to a pretty slow start.

Just finished Spring Snow by Yukio Mishima today.

Shit was so good. I loved how awkwardly perfect the writing was. I'm not sure if it was simply due to the translation, or if it was intended to be as stilted as it was, but it came across as being meticulous in a way that added to the soft tone of the story. It's interesting I guess how it almost reflected Kiyoaki's character, and I'm gonna go on a stretch and say Mishima as well (from what I've gathered off his Wiki).

Not sure what to get next though. Definitely want to finish the Sea of Fertility 'series', but don't want to marathon it. Hm. We'll see.

kafka-prozess.jpg

pretty interesting read, everyone says it's such tough material but i find it quite refreshing and intriguing to read. but getting all the finer points of the authors intentions is probably beond me. but i can see how it is literature that is used as a central piece for the final exams in german high schools

Just started this one but I have no doubt it will be great. I just bought like 4 Gaiman books the other day and basically read them in this order: Coraline, Wolves in the Walls, Graveyard Book, Neverwhere and now I'm on American Gods, Bad Omens or Stardust will be next. Read the childrens books first just for something nice and easy but both are awesome and worth checking out. Neverwhere was good too, much better than the BBC series (haven't read the comic yet but I will soon.)

As you can see I'm sort of a fanatic, read a majority of his comics before the books and seen most of his movies. I'll shoot you a PM once I'm finished with American Gods and give a more glowing recommendation.

nothing beats Der Prozess. One of the things that help to create the "Kafka mood" is the slightly odd German, due to him being from Prague. And I felt that there was quite a lot of humor in it.

well considering it was written during the late 19th century iirc, the german itself is rather odd as the sentences are very long and their structure is also unusual but nonetheless easy to read.

also the humor is there, but what i think is funniest about the whole book is the situation K. is in. it's just so surreal and i guess frustrating at the same time. also seeing how the characters interact with each other is really interesting too. it seems like people back then put an enormous effort into considering ones position in respect to the other person and acting accordingly. i admire that and find a certain beauty in it (it's the word that comes closest to how i feel about it)

about to start this. never read a fiction book with footnotes and endnotes... summer reading?

I'd say so; sit outside on a nice day and it goes by a lot easier. Hope you like tennis...

Lush life was good, insomuch that everything people say about Price's dialogue is true, but the story didn't really grab me. It felt like it could have been shorter. Will probably grab Clockers at some point though.

Wrapped up 1984 finally after forgetting about it for months. I missed books like that, and I wanted to reread We because of it. Still have On The Road on hold from last summer, and Infinite Jest still... may grab the architecture book Commbat posted because I've wanted to get a nice intro into it for a while. Any other recommendations?

Yeah, definitley re-read We. It's pretty amazing how much that book influenced Orwell and he readily admits as much.

As for other recommendations Kolyma Tales by Shalamov is fucking great. Not exactly light summer reading but fuck that anyways we want to read good books, right?