what are you reading today?

almondcrush

been reading it pretty much everyday for a month.

Thank god I have a class dedicated to it, because I really wouldn't catch 1/10th of James Joyce's brilliance on my own. "Dense" is an understatement.

"Dense" literary works (like most stuff by Joyce) is so heavy it is almost inaccessible to the common reader (even if well read). This is the only reason I wish I did a BA at uni instead of my BSc, so that I would have been forced to read (and actually understand) some of the literary giants.

i went through a poetry collection of Joyce's the other day

i dunno if it's because the language is a bit archaic and/or unique to his locale...some were good, overall got a bit repetitive. Actually haven't read any Joyce novels, Ulysses seems interesting but a bit dense for me to go through at the moment.

Junky and Naked Lunch are a tough comparison...just made the connection because it was Burroughs.

for a more related comparison, Junky > On The Road, easily.

14cv3t0.jpg

been reading it pretty much everyday for a month.

Thank god I have a class dedicated to it, because I really wouldn't catch 1/10th of James Joyce's brilliance on my own. "Dense" is an understatement.

learn to love it

i went through a poetry collection of Joyce's the other day

i dunno if it's because the language is a bit archaic and/or unique to his locale...some were good, overall got a bit repetitive. Actually haven't read any Joyce novels, Ulysses seems interesting but a bit dense for me to go through at the moment.

Junky and Naked Lunch are a tough comparison...just made the connection because it was Burroughs.

for a more related comparison, Junky > On The Road, easily.

On the Road was my first "beat read"

I think I could read it anywhere.

don't think you need a book ON that

just study as many examples of advertising and branding throughout history as you can find, derive your own interpretation and hopefully original inspiration from it.

it's one of those things, like writing, that i don't think can really be communicated articulately, or at least honestly, through a 'how to...' book or even course on.

the old tarantino quip about going to films instead of film school is a good one that applies to any creation of subjective medium.

This thread is for discussing literature of all kinds, from books, poetry, essays, plays, and scripts.

Just finished reading Julius Caesar by Shakespeare, I'm not usually a Shakespeare fan, but I actually enjoyed. Much more so than any other Shakespeare before. Also just read Bartleby the Scrivener by Herman Melville about 2 hours ago. Liked that as well.

I read "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" by Robert Pirsig awhile ago--great book. Currently reading "The God Delusion" - Richard Dawkins and "Midnight's Children" - Salman Rushdie.

Sounds interesting. I just picked up A Prayer For Owen Meany by John Irving. I found it laying in my room, and it's actually really good. Although it hasn't really gone anywhere in the first 100 pages - its meandering is even good. Also, anyone ever read Arabian Nights? I've been meaning to, but just haven't had the time to go to the library.

1950s stuff at the moment. Albert Camus The Fall. quick and quite fun to read but i found it a bit bland. no real depth in the description or in the character. Im writing an essay on it with reference to Sartre Being and Nothingness at the moment..

moving on to Mervyn Peake Titus Groan now. Read the trilogy few years back and I remember these as the best novels I have ever read.

^my brother's got a degree in it... I still haven't picked it up. Seems a bit daunting.

I just started reading Kafka's The Trial. First time I've ever read Kafka. It's alright thus far, bit undecided as I'm not used to his style at all.

Anyone read Paradise Lost??? dang, i dont think that sort of poetic writing is good for me...

I have to read it later this semester for my Brit Lit class. I'm really looking forward to it, for once.

I just finished The Fall of the House of my American Lit Class this week and can say that out of the all the stuff that I have read this semester, it is my favorite so far. I liked the fact that Poe is super detailed in every little thing he does.