about a brand called Jean Shop

windowpane

i maybe asking one of the relatives in NJ to pick a pair at Jean Shop sometime. they are relatively unknow in japan where i live, and i can't find much about the brand. i hear they have three washes(raw, one rinse, and destroyed) and you could choose some optional distressing/modification to be done to make a very personal pair. i got several questions that i coudnt find answers to...

1. are there different cuts in the denim line up? heard they concentrate on straight legs, but thats it.

2. how do their sizing run? looking for equavalent for someone wearing W31 for Helmut Lang, Nudie, Diesel..etc

3. price range for a pair w/o any optional mod.

from what i have seen, pairs from this brand are looking great. if anyone can give me some insight on the brand in anyway, i would realy appreciate that!! thanks all~

I picked up a pair last May...I'm not sure I have all the details you're looking for but here goes...

There are two cuts. One classic fit that is straight legged. I think the other is a slimmer cut.

The denim runs a little big. I usually wear 30W in Diesel, Rag and Bone, Paper Denim, but had to get 29W for Jean Shop. Since then, they've stretched quite a bit to maybe 30.5W. The good thing is that the inseam is around 30, also. I always have to my denim hemmed, but with Jean Shop, the denim was ready-to-wear.

Price for raw was either $240-$260. Can't remember for sure.

Overall, they are one of my favorite jeans in addition to 45rpm and Rag and Bone. I would definitely recommended them. Cheers!

I lucked into a pair for $21 on ebay (my best ebay score ever) because the guy didn't know what he was selling. Even though I live in Philly and am in NYC quite a bit I still haven't been able to actually check out the store.

I'm a true 34, but mine are 32 (I wear 32 diesels and 33 Levis). If I was actually shopping for them and had more of a choice where size was concerned, I probably could have gotten away with a 31 if I wanted them really snug because they have stretched quite a bit.

The jeans are great fitting and have some really cool selvedge detailing inside of the fly that I haven't come across before. I'm incredibly pleased with mine.

I'm not sure why your having jeans made with Japaneese denim and sewn in America shipped back to Japan. Anyway, the std. model is exactly the same fit as the APC new std. I'm a true 34 and sized down to a 33, but should have sizes down to a 32.

Edited by Roland on Mar 6, 2006 at 10:10 AM

• 2 weeks later...

I was in ny several weeks back and stopped by the Jean Shop. I picked up a pair of the dry classic fit, they are pretty much straight, medium rise, not too tight, not too loose. kind of similiar in fit to the new standards, but with no taper. They were $250.

I can't remeber some of the specifcs but I think they have 3 men's styles and several washes readily available, as well as custom wear work they will do for you onsite, wasn't too mcuh into that, but to each his own. The girl helping me out was smoking hot but unable to tell me if they are sanforized, I'm guessing they are.

They take phone/mail in orders, and also said there are plans to open another store in vegas?!? as well as eventually LA and some further roll out.

I'm a big fan. Great orange selvedge with orange thread and a lot of orange accents. Very dark raw denim, the pics below don't do the darkness justice. Also they sell white raw jeans, but not pure white, a kind of "natural" white, basically the same jeans with non-dyed warp yarn, and orange selvedge, pretty dope. my only gripe is the hardware (rivets, buttons) look/feel light, not too tough.

js01.JPG

js02.JPG

js03.JPG

js04.JPG

js05.JPG

js06.JPG

js07.JPG

js08.JPG

js09.JPG

js10.JPG

js11.JPG

Edited by the black arm on Mar 22, 2006 at 11:11 PM

Thanks minya, yeah I like them a lot. I hear you about so many jeans so little time. I had almost forgotten about them but now I think I will be wearing them regularly. Really great details and very solid denim. I got size 31, I wear 32 new standards, and 33-34 most other jeans. the 31s fit prefect and I expect them to stretch out and shrink back after wash, so it should work out. the only other type I tried on was the one wash and they look similiar to what my dark dry jeans look like in the pictures, if that makes sense, still dark and pretty stiff, but more blue than "dark" . they also had other hand distressed and washed styles, nothing I looked too closely at. though from what I heard they do all the distressing and washing in the warehouse by?/above?/behind? the store. sweet operation.

Cool... could you describe any of the washes to me? Given that I have 3 pairs of dry jeans now I could use a pair of prewashed jeans. I really like them.

Guess their sizing is pretty crazy though, huh? I'm pretty much a 33-34 too (32-33 in Nudie, 32 [insanely tight to begin with but stretching out] in Imperial, 34 in Japanese repros) ... surprising that you had to go down to a 31, that sounds like APC sizing.

I can't remember to clearly, it was several weeks back and the salesgirl was very distracting in a good way, but I think they had a couple of "standard" washes, like the one wash. maybe a 2-3 wash and a lighter wash as well, nothing too spectacular on that end, but most of the other washed jeans were really one-offs. For the most part they will tailor the wear to what you want. they had stacks and stacks of jeans all over the store, and i'd say about half looked custom worn/distressed. a couple that caught my eye had knee, ass, etc. contrast wear with some bleach/paint marks but not too crazy hige or whiskering, kind of like a well worn 70s pair of levi's, if that makes sense.

The sizing seems whack, no way should I be wearing a 31, but I tried on about 5 or 6 dry sizes and nothing 32 or over fit. The wierd thing is the 31s aren't even that tight.

There are no "set" washes -- not in the same way that most jeans companies have a set number of different washes to choose from (you know how it is: a certain cut will have one name then all the different washes available for that cut will have another corny name; look at Acne -- Max Fletch, Max Garage, Max Lost and Found etc...) Most of their jeans are one wash and you can decide to buy it like that or give it more washing. When I bought my pair last year I had this exact same confusion -- "so what washes do you have available" and the salesgirl could not give me a definite answer because there is no definite answer. I ended up going through the entire store and picking samples that were close to what I want. I found one pair that was hanging up that was a little lighter than what I wanted and another pair in the women's dept that was a little darker than what I wanted so I just pointed to the two of them and told them, "something in between those two." She wrote it down on a piece of paper and a week later I had my jeans. The wash turned out ok, but really the best thing about these jeans (for me at least) is the fit. I think I got the straight leg ones and for my size, height and leg shape, they rank as one of the top 3 jeans in my collection that fit me really nice.

Jean Shop is nine blocks away from my crib. I pop in there every so often. It's kind of like an old time western general store, clothes hanging on every wall, shelves everywhere. They sell many other items, as well. Seriously cool sweatshirts and hoodies- I've seen none better; denim shirts, belts, cool T's, suede jackets (cha-ching!!). The owner? manager? told me they were expecting to cut some kind of deal with the Frye company to sell some boots made just for them. The hired help is helpful, low "attitude" quotient (quite refreshing), and I believe I know (not in the biblical sense) that hot saleswoman you speak of. Grab a pair of those pants for $250 and after they've gone to work on them abraiding, washing, etc., if that's your thing, you'll be out of close to $400. Yes, they do all the additional work on premise. I'd grab a pair, but my next purchase has got to be 45RPM. In all, a pretty cool shop pushing a well made product.

good to see you back ringring. . . yeah I tried to get a picture of the label up last night but my camera sucks taking photos by artificial light and the flash washes everything out. . . here's a picture of the label in daylight, and also the denim darkness is just about right in the picture . . the fly selvedge is sweet, I also like the handwritten born on date . . very nice touch.

js12.JPG

Guest Fade to Black

The hypebeast in me wants to go over to Jean Shop and have them do a pair for me in the exact same wash Pharrell was rockin in GQ and the Victoria's Secret event a while back =P

Quote:

good to see you back ringring. . . yeah I tried to get a picture of the label up last night but my camera sucks taking photos by artificial light and the flash washes everything out. . . here's a picture of the label in daylight, and also the denim darkness is just about right in the picture . . the fly selvedge is sweet, I also like the handwritten born on date . . very nice touch.

js12.JPG

--- Original message by the black arm on Mar 23, 2006 09:27 AM

Thanks Black Arm.

Enjoy your jeans. Nice choice.