about a brand called Jean Shop

windowpane

I just wanted to add that they have some very nice Lee and Levi repro/Repro-style jackets. They're easily some of the nicest raw jackets I've seen in the US.

Other then that, they use 14 oz Japanese Selvege as their std. fabric. They offer 16 oz denim on their Rocker model. For the Spring, they came out with a Lightweight Std. Model which comes in 10 (?) oz selvedge denim and is one wash. To me, "lightweight selvege" is an oxymoron.

Their Std. jeans do have crazy sizing and I would buy them in your APC Std. size (at least for the raw). I think their sizing is so screwed up beacuse they lifted the cut from APC New Stds and they kept the same sizing. I couldn't spot one difference b/w the Jean Shop Std. and APCs New Stds of the same size (I know someone mentioned tapered legs). That being said, I wish they made some new cuts.

Lastly, I hate their hardwear. It's tacky. I wish they used bronze, instead of what feels like plastic/alumnium covered buttons.

Edited by Roland on Mar 28, 2006 at 11:59 AM

Quote:

Other then that, they use 12 oz Japanese Selvege as their std. fabric. They offer 14 oz denim on their Rocker model. For the Spring, they came out with a Lightweight Std. Model which comes in 8 oz selvedge (?) denim and is one wash. To me, "lightweight selvege" is an oxymoron.

--- Original message by Roland on Mar 27, 2006 09:06 AM

They need to offer the 8oz selvedge model in raw! Living in FL now that sounds like a nice summer project to me.

Edited by Jetta on Mar 27, 2006 at 10:57 AM

I'll cosign on the really nice details and denim with the exception fo the rather cheap looking and feeling hardware. I really like the 14 ounce denim, but I generally like heavier weight denim in any case, all other things being equal. The color for the one wash is significantly darker than shown though (this may have already been mentioned.) At $225, I think that they are a reasonable value, though hardly a steal. I would say that 5EPs are significantly better constructed and have a more interesting wash, but 5EPs are also at least $50 more expensive.

I really like the Jeanshop leather jackets as well, although they are pretty pricey, although I guess that all decent leather jackets are these days. Their hoodies I find nothing particularly special about, especially compared to, say, Spruce, which does basics at approximately the same pricepoint, although the feel is definitely different.

www.styleforum.net

Quote:

uh-oh. they've received the seal of approval by ringring. they've passed inspection by serge. all they need now is the go ahead by whiskey, and we have a new APC/SugarCane/er...King of All Denim!

--- Original message by giantreptile on Mar 27, 2006 07:49 PM

Oh no...

Hey Whiskey, call me tonight, and I can make it worth your while to not endorse these jeans.

LA Guy.

P.S. Please finish your list. I don't see the Benkos on there yet...

www.styleforum.net

Soultek, I'm looking for a quality brown belt specifically for denim wear. What'd that cost you? How wide is it? I bought one from Banana Republic- don't hate, I'm embarassed to say so myself- but I was desparate, and the f'n thing's stitching came undone and now my shoe repair guy is mending it.

Edited by Edge_Of_Denim on Mar 28, 2006 at 09:06 AM

Quote:

i can tell you right now those jeans aren't worth $240. i've seen 'em, and they aint that special. i'd buy rag and bone or 5EP over those any day.

--- Original message by giantreptile on Mar 28, 2006 09:15 AM

^^ Not sure if this was a jab or meant in earnest, but this is my take.

While I think that Jeanshop jeans are very nice, I don't think that the jeans are worth the price tag. Definitely, they are a cut above, say, APC's, but there are plenty of jeans, both repros (say, Sugarcanes) and modern cuts (Rag & Bone and 5EPs again), which are a much better deal at a similar pricepoint. As someone has already pointed out, there is nothing particularly special about the fit of the jeans, and the hardware is not very impressive (neither are the APC fly buttons - but that is a $140 jean). The denim is quite nice, and the construction is nice too, but I consider a lot of the trims extraneous and gimmicky. For example, there is no need to use selvedge denim on the fly and coin pocket. And for the just a bit more money, I think that the denim and finishes on 5EP jeans are a lot better, and the construction is superior (stitching is tighter and more even when compared side by side, for example). It is hard to compare Jeanshop jeans against Rag & Bones because they are two different animals altogether.

Mainly though, I just don't want this become super hyped up the way APC jeans have been on this and other boards, with everyone and their dog wanting in on the action and posting endless questions (and pretty much always getting the same answers) about sizing, how the jeans wear in, etc... At least for APCs, the low(er) price warranted everyone getting a pair, and no one would really get burned. However, at the $200+ pricepoint, there are so many good jeans to choose from that it would be too bad if everyone wanted the same jean because of the hype and not because it fit their style/looked good on them.

Just my take.

www.styleforum.net

If I were to compare the two labels I'd say that I prefer Jean Shop to Rag & Bone personally.

JS's denim I still find better than R&B's IMO (heavier weight, nicer selvage, darker tho both are rinsed). JS's cuts I also find preferable to R&B's baggier trouser-cut style jeans. Construction wise JS seems very robust aside from the aforementioned front buttons. I also don't find them to be overly embelished whatsoever as most of the details mentioned above ^^ are not visible when the jeans are being worn. I've always Rag & Bone found to be among the best American denim makers though this season I've found quality has slid a little in some aspects though the price has annoyingly increased.

Regardless, while JS seems to be riding a tide of popularity recently I still don't see them as hitting the same level of trendiness as APC for the same reasons as mentioned above. People on this board have also known about R&B and 5EP for ages and neither company has garnered much interest over here. Who knows tho, the buzz behind JS does seem pretty hefty recently.

LA Guy...totally agree with you. my boy has some 14oz. jap. selvage in the classic cut. they r nice but the hardware IS cheap, and not worth the price. the denim did not impress me either, although i havent seen their 16oz. dont know about R&B but 5ep is probably the best quality for the price range.

Quote:

If I were to compare the two labels I'd say that I prefer Jean Shop to Rag & Bone personally.

JS's denim I still find better than R&B's IMO (heavier weight, nicer selvage, darker tho both are rinsed). JS's cuts I also find preferable to R&B's baggier trouser-cut style jeans. Construction wise JS seems very robust aside from the aforementioned front buttons. I also don't find them to be overly embelished whatsoever as most of the details mentioned above ^^ are not visible when the jeans are being worn. I've always Rag & Bone found to be among the best American denim makers though this season I've found quality has slid a little in some aspects though the price has annoyingly increased.

Regardless, while JS seems to be riding a tide of popularity recently I still don't see them as hitting the same level of trendiness as APC for the same reasons as mentioned above. People on this board have also known about R&B and 5EP for ages and neither company has garnered much interest over here. Who knows tho, the buzz behind JS does seem pretty hefty recently.

--- Original message by Circa on Mar 28, 2006 11:20 AM

I still maintain that you really can't compare Rag & Bone and Jean Shop jeans the way you could, say, JeanShop and 5EP. 5EP and Jeanshop make similar types of jeans, with comparable aethetics. Rag & Bone has an entirely different aesthetic. It'd be like comparing a streetwear company with a suitmaker. Well, not that drastic, but you see the difference.

For the record, Rag & Bones they have both heavier and lighter weight jeans than Jean shop. They (R&B) make jeans from 10.5 ounces to 13.75 ounces, in both selvedge and non-selvage denim. I agree with you that the details on JeanShop jeans are certainly not obtrusive (they are, for the most part, hidden, unless you wear your jeans with the fly wide open, but that's another topic altogether), but I find them extraneous - i.e. there is absolutely no reason for them to be there in the first place, except to cash in on the selvedge craze and make some denimhead cream his jeans (and the dude wouldn't wash them for six months anyway. Damn...)

As for Rag & Bone quality, I found that earlier R&B jeans were a little better constructed (I am thinking first season in particular - there were, IIRC, actually some slightly distressed models) than current models. Hopefully, it is just a glitch due to upscaling production.

I agree that they are less likely to become super popular the way APCs and Nudies have, for example, for a variety of reasons, but mainly price (I think this is the same reason people haven't been jumping on the R&B and 5EP bandwagon.) However, I can think of many brands that would merit the bandwagon a lot more than would Jeanshop (their cool jeans and jackets notwithstanding.).

www.styleforum.net

Quote:

LA Guy: i was not kidding this time.

Circa: trouser style is just the tip of the iceberg for rag & bone's fits, denims, washes.

lastly, since when are APC's $140? i bought mine for $120. when did that increase happen?

--- Original message by giantreptile on Mar 28, 2006 01:17 PM

My ^^ was meant to address Circa's comments.

I think that Circa is talking about the "trouser like" details and fit of Rag & Bone jeans (cotton waistband, etc...), not the trouser jean in particular.

APC's went up from $120 to $140 this season, and I have it on good authority that they will be will be $160 fairly soon. Washed and predistressed versions are already $160 now. Hard to believe that APCs were $110 just a few years ago, and had stayed that price for ages before that... Paper chase indeed.

www.styleforum.net

I agree that $260 is a lot for these jeans. At the same time, I would buy them over $260 Nudies here in the States.

I would much rather get some Eternal 811s for around $200 bucks from Japan. I said the Jean Shop jackets were nice and they are, but not compared what you can buy in Japan. Here in NY, $200 buys you the latest from Earnest Sewn which isn't something special for the money (I do like ES - except that they need to chainstich). Still, I don't think its really fair to compare jeans available in the US and whats available in Japan; even though bid services are easy to use.

Sidenote: I've got too many pairs of jeans right now, but I really want to buy some lower tier jeans from Japan (aprox 15,000 yen) and seen how they stack up to what is here in the US.

LA guy,

yeah was talking about the trou-like details in addition to fit. As for comparing JS to R&B, I feel the comparison between the two labels is not that far off. The RB1 for instance is really just a basic 5 pocket 501-style jean not all that dis-similar to the JS classic. As for denim, I still find the JS denim to have a nicer look to it in the rinsed 14oz vs. the R&B rinsed 13.5oz. As I stated earlier the JS denim is darker, and nice and weighty even without the extra starch. The rinsed R&B denim always struck me as being very similar to the one Nudie uses for its RRDS (albeit rinsed), right down to the redline selvage. Don't get me wrong however I actually like R&B's stuff, I happen to stock both lines (JS and R&B) at my shop so I'm actually quite familiar with their respective products. You are correct, detailing on the JS jeans does seem extraneous and definitely aimed at denimheads. However, if given a choice I still prefer JS' rocker fit over most of R&B's cuts which usually tend to come up a little too baggy for my tastes.

IMO worst case of over-use of selvage has to be Earnest sewn. They did a model with a selvage top waist band (awful), coin pocket, etc. As for R&Bs recent product, I am hoping it is just the current run and not simply just cutting corners.

Edited by Circa on Mar 28, 2006 at 11:32 PM

Quote:

Soultek, I'm looking for a quality brown belt specifically for denim wear. What'd that cost you? How wide is it? I bought one from Banana Republic- don't hate, I'm embarassed to say so myself- but I was desparate, and the f'n thing's stitching came undone and now my shoe repair guy is mending it.

--- Original message by Edge_Of_Denim on Mar 28, 2006 09:02 AM

'bout an inch and a half wide

cost me about 100$. expensive, but worth it.

I also have a Tshirt from Jeans shop, it's got stitched side seams. And it has that flat stitching they have on old tshirts and sweatshirts. It is really soft and fits nice.

• 2 weeks later...
Quote:

--- Original message by Edge_Of_Denim on Mar 28, 2006 09:02 AM

my banana republic belt is fucking awesome, it replaced my plain black diesel one...no hate here, great quality, big brass buckle.

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZtriggerkid

You know what, I dropped by Jean Shop the other day to look into their belts and I saw that brown one which was photoposted a while back. The price on that belt was $150. My girlfriend who was with me at the time and who's judgement on these things I trust completely said I'd be a fucking idiot to spend that much on THAT belt, it just isn't worth it (Plus they've got their name branded on the hide. Instant dealbreaker). She said there is nothing at all wrong with that BR belt. She's right. It does have a great brass buckle and its vintage look is nicely done. Ok, so it's grown on me and I take back my earlier hate against BR.

And my local shoe repairman did an excellent job repairing the stitching. Looks better than new.

Edited by Edge_Of_Denim on Apr 7, 2006 at 02:22 PM

Can't seem to find a web site for these guys. Anyone know what the url is?

Do they sell a variety of different belts or is the one that is posted/discussed the standard belt. thanks for the info...t

They don't have a website last I checked. And it didn't sound like they were going to make one. They have a variety of belts.

The logo on the belt is covered up by the other end of the belt when worn. The 'jean' is stitched, but easily removed. and the 'shop' is stamped in the leather, this becomes indistinguishable after some use.

• 3 weeks later...

i went to ron herman last weekend and ordered a pair of their prewashed jeans. wash 6 i think it was called. anyway, i should get them next week or hopefully this week. the salesman told me i was the first person to do it. haha, i hope it turns out okay. i'll post pics when i get them.

• 1 month later...