• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#1 Cotton Duck

Cotton Duck

super retired [mod]

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,947 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 11:59 PM

Seeing that since the relaunch(?) of Levis RED there have been atleast 3 different threads on it I figured we might aswell get one definite thread about it.

These are the threads I found quickly, maybe Tweeds would be so kind to merge them into this thread?
Levis RED bow jeans
Levis RED + Oki Ni
CCP vs Levis RED

While the RED range has always been very "out there" and it's not for everyone I feel that they've played quite an important part in where non japanese denim has been going the last couple of years.

Let this be the place to discuss all things RED, both present and past.

#2 Cotton Duck

Cotton Duck

super retired [mod]

• 7,947 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 12:04 AM

I took the liberty to use Whizkit his pics from the Warped jeans he's selling at the moment. Hope he doesn't mind.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Levis RED ss02
Warped comfort fit
warped 3d cut
cotton poly urethane blend
leather cinch back made from belt

I remember that there was another model that also had the extreme leg twist and I believe each leg twisted in another direction, it also featured a copper chain that went from the front beltloop into the backpocket and the top button was metal with a transparent plastic cover that under wich was what looked like a paper printout of the traditionel Levis button.

#3 Cotton Duck

Cotton Duck

super retired [mod]

• 7,947 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 12:18 AM

Sold on supermarket by Crackerhead a little while back.

Really sweet one-button jacket made from a supersoft dark 13 oz. stretch denim with a viscose/acetate lining with a celestial star and moon print. Lapels are lined in fine black leather. Arms are cut like a motorcycle style jacket with curved seams for a better fit.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The theme for this collection was "Day/Night" which is reflected in the idea of this blazer, which is based on a traditional tuxedo jacket with casual jeans-wear features such as contrast topstitching in gold and purple and exposed rivets to highlight the conflict between a daytime and nighttime wearing occasion.

#4 Cotton Duck

Cotton Duck

super retired [mod]

• 7,947 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 12:22 AM

Taken from Ninja07's thread in supermarket.
Posted Image Posted Image

Great workwear aesthetics jacket from the Levis Red line. European made, bought in ’02 from a similar shop to Cinch in London. Great denim, construction and details are immpecable. Hidden zip pockets, only stiching is revealed at the front. Buttons secured by metal clips. Collar can be worn 2 ways as seen in pics. Measurements upon request.

http://i44.photobuck....1/DSC_0061.jpg
http://i44.photobuck....1/DSC_0062.jpg
http://i44.photobuck....1/DSC_0065.jpg
http://i44.photobuck....1/DSC_0071.jpg

#5 Cotton Duck

Cotton Duck

super retired [mod]

• 7,947 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 12:25 AM

Printed on them in blue are the straight lines of a normal pair of jeans, to put extra focus on the twisted seams.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#6 Cotton Duck

Cotton Duck

super retired [mod]

• 7,947 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 12:37 AM

That's what I could find searching on here.
I'm sure people have some RED pieces hidden in the closets...

#7 Crackerhead

Crackerhead

semibored

• Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 01:42 AM

I had posted these a while back in the evolution of denim thread. From S/S 2002, I had worn these for 18 months before their first dry-clean. They've seen more wear since these photos were taken.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#8 Crackerhead

Crackerhead

semibored

• Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 06:06 AM

Alright, since someone had asked about a manifesto in another post. I found a little blurb inside a look book I've collected:

A laboratory for denim innovation, Levi's RED has stimulated denimwear since 1999, breathing new life into accepted forms and functions and setting industry standards alight through radical design. Levi's RED is unequivocal and unapologetically subversive. With the spotlight on denim craftsmanship, Levi's RED is buoyed by the strong evolutionary nature of Levi's, with unambiguous allusions to Levi's unique heritage. Invigorating and independent, however, Levi's RED designs denimwear with a difference, branded with a compelling identity and personality of its very own. Independent from the dictates of fashion, Levi's RED creates new forms with enhanced fit and finish.

Levi's RED was launched globally in 1999 as a counterpart brand to LVC, and as a springboard for new ideas within Levi's. New collections were launched every six months in very limited quantities. This line continued globally until spring 2004, when the US got a different, yet still conceptual Levi's RED line, while the rest of the world continued the original Levi's RED line. In 2005, the line was phased out everywhere except for in Asia. Around the same time Levi's launched a slightly premium line in the US that borrowed the "Levi's red" moniker, though it wasn't the original line - This lesser line was quickly phased out. Fall 2007, however, reintroduces original Levi's RED line globally (minus the US.)

#9 poly800rock

poly800rock

postwhore

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,023 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 06:12 AM

where does red loop fall into? I really though some of that stuff is the perfect mix between Levis red and their regular line.
TEAM OZAWA (oi lui xwy qluy wh l krcviukevi, zeaeylxy kibuiy kwbeiyt. oi lui drky l hlsi qemml kfwq.) http://www.superfutu...ad.php?t=255186

#10 Crackerhead

Crackerhead

semibored

• Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 07:14 AM

where does red loop fall into? I really though some of that stuff is the perfect mix between Levis red and their regular line.

Pretty sure Redloop is Japan only, and has nothing to do with the Levi's RED label, though I've seen them use some of the design concepts from Levi's RED after they were introduced. I think Redloop is more fashion oriented than the regular line, but not as conceptual or premium as RED.

#11 Paul T

Paul T

postwhore

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,823 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 09:42 AM

FWIW, the Levi's RED range was mostly designed by Rikke Korff - she came up with the original twisted seam range of 2000 or so, which later became the mass market Engineered jeans, and also the oversized-detailed Red range of around 2003, which became the Type One levi's. Those later jeans were fantastic - petrol blue colour, low tilted rise, and really good straight and skinny cuts. WIll shoot my pair and put them up here if no one beats me to it...

#12 cheep

cheep

postwhore

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,299 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 02:23 PM

i have a pair of red loop, and they remind me nothing of the levis red line. the denim on them is beautiful tho... but the cut is a basic relaxed straight leg.
I saw the best minds of TEAM BEGSVAWNARIANANAN destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked,
dragging themselves through the negro streets at dawn looking for an angry fix,
angelheaded hipsters burning for the ancient heavenly
connection to the starry dynamo in the machinery of night

Posted ImagePosted Image

tanuki status

#13 Paulo

Paulo

superbored

• Pip
  • 473 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 03:33 PM

I dont know much about levis stuff. I have an Levis red Elijah Jacket i must of got like 5-6 years ago maybe? If anyone wants to see pictures. Its been barely worn probably maybe 3 times?! Might put it on marketplace if anyone is interested.

edit: Theres actually only a hits on google for it with some decent pictures. And i got the date wront it was more like 4 years ago.

http://levis.wear.jp...tem_dat_id=3515

#14 ninja07

ninja07

superbored

• Pip
  • 857 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 03:37 PM

Thanks Cotton for posting the Levis Red jacket of mine.

I 've also got a pair of Levis Red jeans with cinch back detail, it looks identical to the detailing of the jacket with hidden pocket and all. I will post some pics later when I get some time. Couldn't decide if I should put that on the market as well. I have not worn them since '02.

#15 Tarmac

Tarmac

superjunkie

• Pip
  • 1,299 posts
  • style:precious
  • attitude:hater
  • biography:smedium
  • wish i was in:USA

Posted 26 November 2007 - 03:42 PM

this is some post-post-modern dead tech jeans

#16 whizkit

whizkit

superjunkie

• Pip
  • 1,726 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 03:57 PM

http://levis.wear.jp/LER/idx_stock.asp

a pretty good collection of the early collections from 2000 to ss2004

I took the liberty to use Whizkit his pics from the Warped jeans he's selling at the moment. Hope he doesn't mind.

I remember that there was another model that also had the extreme leg twist and I believe each leg twisted in another direction, it also featured a copper chain that went from the front beltloop into the backpocket and the top button was metal with a transparent plastic cover that under wich was what looked like a paper printout of the traditionel Levis button.

Happy to share the pics. The model you are refering should be the Warped Bootcut.

#17 whizkit

whizkit

superjunkie

• Pip
  • 1,726 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 04:38 PM

I thought I would just share some pics of my other pair of levis red

Slim Guys Sunday Prest from aw05
Posted Image
front (out seam is positioned towards the front of the leg)
Posted Image
back (note the thick hem at the bottom)
Posted Image
back pockets, large and sits low with exaggerated arcuate
Posted Image
red label with cursive R (only for this Red collection)
Posted Image
slit pockets
Posted Image
top button is made from mother-of-pearl set in copper
Posted Image
copper buttons and wrapped seams

What I like about Levis Red besides the innnovative cuts and great fabrics (denim purists might disagree), is the amount of details in each pair and consistent throughout each collection. I also enjoy how they try to push the idea of what defines a pair of jeans every season, while at the same time grounded in the heritage of levis jeans.

#18 poly800rock

poly800rock

postwhore

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,023 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 07:25 PM

i have a pair of red loop, and they remind me nothing of the levis red line. the denim on them is beautiful tho... but the cut is a basic relaxed straight leg.

the denim in my experience was hemp/cotton blend for red loop. skinny tapered lowrise. this was like 2003? greenish hue, wish i still had them.
TEAM OZAWA (oi lui xwy qluy wh l krcviukevi, zeaeylxy kibuiy kwbeiyt. oi lui drky l hlsi qemml kfwq.) http://www.superfutu...ad.php?t=255186

#19 Dex_star

Dex_star

superjunkie

• PipPip
  • 2,121 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 08:43 PM

i actually like these

#20 Sympathy-For-The-Denim

Sympathy-For-The-Denim

superbored

• Pip
  • 719 posts
  • talents:music

Posted 26 November 2007 - 08:48 PM

Am I right if I suggest that natural indigo had been used for the 2000 guys 1st standart, I one a pair and they are 100% with green cast!?

#21 robbie

robbie

superjunkie

• Pip
  • 1,830 posts
  • style:precious
  • attitude:none
  • biography:my people have17 different words for jean
  • wish i was in:charge
  • denim:size 31

Posted 27 November 2007 - 01:07 AM

the denim in my experience was hemp/cotton blend for red loop. skinny tapered lowrise. this was like 2003? greenish hue, wish i still had them.

do you mean the redloop drainpipes?

#22 poly800rock

poly800rock

postwhore

• 10,023 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 01:09 AM

do you mean the redloop drainpipes?

no, it was before the drainpipes. I wish I could find a pic.

#23 cheep

cheep

postwhore

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,299 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 03:24 PM

the ones i have are 100% cotton... non selvage... very dark indigo that fades to a vibrant blue. slubby, thick, and stiff.
I saw the best minds of TEAM BEGSVAWNARIANANAN destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked,
dragging themselves through the negro streets at dawn looking for an angry fix,
angelheaded hipsters burning for the ancient heavenly
connection to the starry dynamo in the machinery of night

Posted ImagePosted Image

tanuki status

#24 Ahlvahroe

Ahlvahroe

superfreak

• PipPipPip
  • 3,097 posts
  • style:dainty
  • attitude:vain
  • wish i was in:some place exciting
  • talents:food, denim, travel
  • denim:size 31

Posted 30 November 2007 - 07:07 AM

i just stumbled on this again, i had deleted teh link a while back but there are quite a bit of styles.

http://item.rakuten....e/c/0000000173/

#25 ninja07

ninja07

superbored

• Pip
  • 857 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 07:53 AM

As i mentioned above, heres some pics of my Levis Red cinch back jeans to share

Posted Image
Cinch back and hidden back pocket
Posted Image
back pocket is inside
Posted Image
Posted Image
denim detail
Posted Image
Posted Image
I think they are called 1st Giant, but from the above link the same model has back pockets. Can someone shed some light? I would really like to find out what these are.

I will update my for sale thread if I decide to sell them if there's any interest.

#26 Crackerhead

Crackerhead

semibored

• Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 07:53 AM

...and also the oversized-detailed Red range of around 2003, which became the Type One levi's. Those later jeans were fantastic - petrol blue colour, low tilted rise, and really good straight and skinny cuts. WIll shoot my pair and put them up here if no one beats me to it...

Beat you to it, Paul. Here's a pair I used to have, that I sold recently. It was a girl's straight cut:

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

And an ass shot from a lookbook I own.

Posted Image

True Religion really destroyed some of the design elements from this season when they totally ripped off the look Levi's RED pioneered.

#27 Crackerhead

Crackerhead

semibored

• Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 07:57 AM

As i mentioned above, heres some pics of my Levis Red cinch back jeans to share
I think they are called 1st Giant, but from the above link the same model has back pockets. Can someone shed some light? I would really like to find out what these are.

Actually, Ninja, these were a very limited edition model from the very first RED collection. The model is the "4th Signature Jean," which was similar to the 1st Giant model. I think they made about 5 signature jeans in very limited numbers from the first collection. The signature jeans from the later collections were usually hand numbered, with only a few hundred copies of each made.

BTW, that crotch gusset is wild! I'd love to see what these look like on. They're made of a green selvage hemp/cotton denim, right?

#28 ninja07

ninja07

superbored

• Pip
  • 857 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 08:21 AM

thanks crackerhead for the insight. I had a feeling they were some limited editions. I must have bought them around 2000, from a shop in the Barri Gothic area in Barcelona whose name just escapes me.

I added a pic showing the inside seam, no green selvedge.

As for fit pics, they don't fit me now that I have lost much weight (they are tagged 34). I really liked them a lot back then. If I can find old fit pics I'll post up.

#29 Crackerhead

Crackerhead

semibored

• Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 08:28 AM

I must have bought them around 2000, from a shop in the Barri Gothic area in Barcelona whose name just escapes me.

I added a pic showing the inside seam, no green selvedge.

Was the shop Doshaburi?

And...strange. My 1st Giant jeans are made with green selvage denim, as were all RED jeans from the 1st collection. Look a little closer, and you might notice it. ;) I'll try to get photos of my 1st Giant jeans up to compare.

#30 ninja07

ninja07

superbored

• Pip
  • 857 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 09:20 AM

Posted Image

some green thread can be seen, seems its definately got green selvedge.

I just realised as well it could be Doshaburi, are they the only shop in the area that stocks vintage levis? If yes then that should be it, although the shop interior looks somewhat different, maybe they have redone it afterall its been some time. I do remember the brick arches and there's a small square outside the shop?

would love to see your 1st giants!