#1471 LetsGetSerious

LetsGetSerious

superbored

• superbad
  • Pip
  • 889 posts
  • joined 13 july 06

Posted 27 May 2010 - 07:56 PM

Those woven ones are the lunar something or other... I didn't love them and a lot of other places seem to have them. Those footscapes are cool though because not that many other places have them and they're a silhouette that's not been done to death. Have you ever been to the House of Hoops? I've never had a reason to go out that far, but it's definitely a store I'd eventually like to see.

That new air max pack with the solid black upper (w/ horsehair etc) and the colored midsoles were in the window of every Footlocker/Footaction/ANY SHOE STORE. So ugly though.

#1472 theweiside

theweiside

semibored

• Pip
  • 85 posts
  • joined 17 october 06

Posted 31 May 2010 - 02:56 AM

anyone have recommendations for a very cheap (less than 100) place to stay in Manhattan? preferably midtown/downtown

#1473 LetsGetSerious

LetsGetSerious

superbored

• superbad
  • Pip
  • 889 posts
  • joined 13 july 06

Posted 01 June 2010 - 01:03 AM

try name your own price on priceline or hotwire. we stayed in midtown for 130/night 3.5 stars.

#1474 Tyro1

Tyro1

postwhore

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,452 posts
  • joined 21 june 06

Posted 01 June 2010 - 02:28 AM

is there cheaper places to stay in Brooklyn? Whenever you google, you always end up with Manhattan hotels

#1475 LetsGetSerious

LetsGetSerious

superbored

• superbad
  • Pip
  • 889 posts
  • joined 13 july 06

Posted 06 June 2010 - 03:56 PM

I think there's way too many hotels in NYC to even google shit like "NYC hotel," try to look at tripadvisor and find a hotel that sounds good to you, or just use priceline and name your own price.

#1476 stagename

stagename

semibored

• Pip
  • 138 posts
  • joined 20 july 07

Posted 16 June 2010 - 10:00 PM

the ace hotel has a promo going on right now ("starving artist) where their bunk bed room is at 100$/night (no avail for june but there's for july).

a bit over your budget:
jetsetter has rooms right now at 185$ for ink48
the pod is at 150$

there's a bunch of sales/packages going on right now for the gay pride if you're going around those dates.

*edit* btw i looked for rooms in early june and the ace was by far the best deal i found.

#1477 Chicken

Chicken

postwhore

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,935 posts
  • joined 19 may 06

Posted 25 June 2010 - 11:41 PM

i've heard from my reliable source, that negiya's tonkotsu ramen is pound-for-pound, probably the best ramen in new york right now.

#1478 coleslawyum

coleslawyum

superjunkie2K

• PipPip
  • 2,471 posts
  • joined 29 september 06

Posted 25 June 2010 - 11:56 PM

I wonder what happened to all the hoopla with all the new Ramen shops that were opening up in NYC. With all the choices, its still incredibly underwhelming.

#1479 DaBestSpoona

DaBestSpoona

superfreak

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,044 posts
  • joined 04 february 05
  • style:cosplay
  • talents:Fingerbang on first dates

Posted 26 June 2010 - 05:12 PM

I wonder what happened to all the hoopla with all the new Ramen shops that were opening up in NYC. With all the choices, its still incredibly underwhelming.

Its really underwhelming compared to tokyo where the ramen has gotten really creative lately with shit like thai green curry, carbonated broths, soy milk, turtle eggs, tuna chashu, konyaku noodles.

But there is still plenty of places nobody knows or talks about that do stuff like shio beef tongue ramen, assari ramen, and scallop ramen.

Too many kyushu style places opening up serving normal hakata tonokotsu.

Chicken, is Negiya open for lunch?

#1480 cchen

cchen

superbored

• Pip
  • 617 posts
  • joined 30 november 05
  • style:classic
  • talents:shopping, food, cooking, eating out
  • denim:size 29

Posted 28 June 2010 - 03:35 AM

i tried ramen totto recently. they do their broth only with chicken and instead of char siu pork they use a torched pork toro.... overall found their noodles really nice but the broth was missing the depth that you have with pork

#1481 Chicken

Chicken

postwhore

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,935 posts
  • joined 19 may 06

Posted 28 June 2010 - 05:26 AM

Chicken, is Negiya open for lunch?

looks like it, mon - fri:

http://www.chopstick...iew/2010/06/03/

let me know how it is if you get to try it.

#1482 Spaghettini

Spaghettini

superpasta

• PipPip
  • 2,019 posts
  • joined 19 november 06

Posted 28 June 2010 - 11:46 PM

But there is still plenty of places nobody knows or talks about that do stuff like shio beef tongue ramen, assari ramen, and scallop ramen.

Drop some knowledge

#1483 polishmike

polishmike

postwhore

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,747 posts
  • joined 30 may 06

Posted 29 June 2010 - 06:19 AM

yeah spoona better share. i still only eat ramen at minca. it's close to my place so that helps, but i like hanging out there too.

can we nerd out bout other japanese spots? i eat at omen at least once a month.

#1484 DaBestSpoona

DaBestSpoona

superfreak

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,044 posts
  • joined 04 february 05

Posted 29 June 2010 - 01:56 PM

Terakawa - I like their special 10 bowls a day Oxtail ramen with tendons, deep fried onions in a shoyu broth, They have a new black garlic oil ramen, I havent had that yet. They also have a yuzu kosho cold ramen I've been meaning to try.

Tsushima - Weds they have a shio scallop and pork based ramen for lunch, Fridays they have Shoyu Tonkotsu

Saburi - they have a cold duck reimen(like ramen but chewier)

I havent been to Hidechan, Totto, or Negiya yet.

I've been walking by the downtown men kuitei and they have a shio beef tongue ramen, sounds good, but the downtown menkuitei has been not as good as the midtown one.

Polish, I have to give Minca another shot. I tried Kambi recently and did not like it at all. I heard Minca is much better than Kambi.

Omen is good, been eating at Kajitsu once a month. I want to check out Takashi, but its expensive for grill intestines.

#1485 polishmike

polishmike

postwhore

• 5,747 posts
  • joined 30 may 06

Posted 29 June 2010 - 03:31 PM

Minca is better than Kambi. Not really sure how, since it's the same menu. Minca's toroniku ramen is my favorite and kambi doesnt have it.

I need to check out Menkuitei, I've been putting it off for way too long.

I'm going to Takashi next week with some clients so I'll report back.

I also eat at Kyo Ya a lot. Again it's near my place, but i think it's very underrated.

#1486 DaBestSpoona

DaBestSpoona

superfreak

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,044 posts
  • joined 04 february 05

Posted 29 June 2010 - 04:36 PM

I've been to kyo ya twice, and I like it a lot, and its near me too. Do they take walk ins?

#1487 polishmike

polishmike

postwhore

• 5,747 posts
  • joined 30 may 06

Posted 29 June 2010 - 06:10 PM

yes, they do. i actually never made a reservation and i ate there over a dozen times.

#1488 prowler

prowler

superbored

• Pip
  • 233 posts
  • joined 04 march 08

Posted 13 July 2010 - 05:46 PM

so a friend of mine and me are planning to stay in new york over the summer (september till mid of october). we both will be working/doing an internship.

we're looking for an apartment in the brooklyn area for that time. basically looking for a two bedrooms apartment, but 1 bedroom + big kitchen/living room would just be fine as well.

if any of you know somebody who is subletting something along this line please get in touch.

good sites on the web for nyc sublets (besides craigslist) would be great as well.

i really would appreciate any help!!!
just send me a message i'll send you my contact information.

thanks alot

#1489 LaGourgandine

LaGourgandine

superbored

• Pip
  • 372 posts
  • joined 13 january 09

Posted 14 July 2010 - 08:10 AM

Try this:

http://www.vrbo.com/
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
http://supertalk.sup...59#entry2648559

#1490 prowler

prowler

superbored

• Pip
  • 233 posts
  • joined 04 march 08

Posted 18 July 2010 - 08:30 AM

Try this:

http://www.vrbo.com/

thanks for the link.

anbody got something else? still looking...

#1491 LiberationFrequency

LiberationFrequency

superbored

• Pip
  • 458 posts
  • joined 02 august 07

Posted 18 July 2010 - 06:22 PM

Heading to New York for Rock the Bells this year.

Never been to the States before, let alone New York. So I really don't know much.

Gathered up a few spots from the various threads but anything more current would be appreciated.

I have my eye on fast food places we don't have in the UK such as White Castle, Popeyes, In n out etc + local places or whatever we find on the way.

I'm on a student's budget and i've yet to find accommodation. Will be looking for a cheap hotel, so if you guys have any suggestions that would be awesome.

Anything cool that I may not otherwise know about?

Thanks in advance..

#1492 SixThousandDollars

SixThousandDollars

semibored

• Pip
  • 180 posts
  • joined 22 june 10
  • talents:PUSSY / MONEY / WEED

Posted 18 July 2010 - 06:32 PM

Keep checking Gilt jetsetter as they sometimes have some hotel rooms for under $100/night. What is your budget?

Some of the fast food places you mention are probably not even in the city, food in NYC is amazing, so don't worry about it. Menupages.com is great.
Okay... it's duck hunter camo, I get it. Blame Ms. Sally.
XBL: BORNxTOxEXPIRE

#1493 LiberationFrequency

LiberationFrequency

superbored

• Pip
  • 458 posts
  • joined 02 august 07

Posted 19 July 2010 - 02:27 PM

Great thanks, i've signed up for Gilt Jetsetter so hopefully something crops up.

Under $100 a night is pretty much what i'm looking for.

Thanks for menupages too!

#1494 ithinkitsu

ithinkitsu

superbored

• Pip
  • 374 posts
  • joined 19 december 09

Posted 19 July 2010 - 03:50 PM

Hi all,

This is my first time to go to NYC with my gf. We have 48 hours to travel around. We are not familiar with NYC, actually never been to US before. We don't drive ourself so mainly by metro I think. We are a bit worry of the safety in the metro=(

Hotel has not been chosen but most likely near LGA Airport as we are leaving at 7am on the third day.

My gf wants to spend 0.5 day (at least!!!) around Macys, Saks and the 5th avenue. We want to travel, very common spots like

Times Square
Central Park
The Dakota
Strawberry Fields
Greenwich Village
Manhattan
Soho
Empire State Bldg
Brooklyn Bridge
Wall Street
Ground Zero = World Trade Centre?
Statue of Liberty

Any suggested traveling route? I have not too much idea on the sequence and route at all. Appreciate your help on it!!

Suggestion on hotel and transportation, advise on safety are of course welcome!! Thanks all

#1495 Hocus Pocus

Hocus Pocus

superjunkie2K

• PipPip
  • 2,495 posts
  • joined 26 february 07

Posted 19 July 2010 - 08:35 PM

The subway is very safe unless you ride the mainlines to their extremes, and wander around with your visors and fanny packs and "I heart NY" shirts on.

If you want to go see all that touristy bullshit, why don't you get on one of those tour buses.

#1496 shinobi2000

shinobi2000

superbored

• Pip
  • 1,357 posts
  • joined 02 april 05

Posted 19 July 2010 - 10:44 PM

if you're going to do the 5th Ave, Saks thing, why even bother with Macy's? Subway's ok in terms of safety but make sure you read all the service changes for that day/week listed by the maps in the station.

#1497 ithinkitsu

ithinkitsu

superbored

• Pip
  • 374 posts
  • joined 19 december 09

Posted 20 July 2010 - 04:19 PM

if i live around the time square, is it safe and easy to catch a cab in the very early morning to catch the flight leaving LGA at 7am?

Thanks dude

#1498 murdock

murdock

bored

• Pip
  • 38 posts
  • joined 20 july 10

Posted 21 July 2010 - 05:02 AM

Op, honestly you're not going to be able to do a majority of the touristy stuff you've listed. You should stick to a few of the major ones, like Times Sq (at night), Empire State, Statue of Liberty. 2 days is not enough time, you should check out the tour buses that go around the city.

If you want to shop on Madison/5th ave and in Soho that's gonna be half a day already. Plus you gotta eat!

Subway is completely safe, unless you plan on going to the bronx at 2am...Taxi to LGA is going to be like $50usd w/ toll and yes they're everywhere. Map out what you're going to do for the day and use hopstop (dot) com. It'll tell you what trains to take and if there's any service delays. Good luck and enjoy NYC it's going to be a quick 48hrs!

#1499 murdock

murdock

bored

• Pip
  • 38 posts
  • joined 20 july 10

Posted 21 July 2010 - 05:13 AM

Never been to the States before, let alone New York. So I really don't know much.

Gathered up a few spots from the various threads but anything more current would be appreciated.

I have my eye on fast food places we don't have in the UK such as White Castle, Popeyes, In n out etc + local places or whatever we find on the way.

I'm on a student's budget and i've yet to find accommodation. Will be looking for a cheap hotel, so if you guys have any suggestions that would be awesome.

Thanks in advance..

Oof you're trying to pack on some extra baggage with the states fast food huh? There's White Castle and Popeyes but no In N Out :( (only in Cali). Try out Five Guys Burgers, Greys Papaya a famous hotdog chain here, street kabobs, and there's a pizza shop on every block. There's definitely a lot of places to eat on a budget. I've seen a few hostels here in NYC that a lot of foreigners stay at so I'm assuming that's pretty cheap. Try googling it...good luck and enjoy NYC.

#1500 Hocus Pocus

Hocus Pocus

superjunkie2K

• PipPip
  • 2,495 posts
  • joined 26 february 07

Posted 21 July 2010 - 06:45 AM

Thanks in advance..

As far as accommodation goes, maybe look into renting an apartment depending on how many of you there are.

As far as food goes, don't waste your time with White Castle or Five Guys. You can get better food for very low prices. Not to bash those kinds of places, as I have recently stuck up for them in another thread, but if you are only in NYC for a few days you might as well hit up some better eats for similar prices.

Fried Dumpling in Chinatown is very cheap and good. La Superior is bomb mexican food in Williamsburg that is quite reasonable. Pretty much any pizza place is going to be very good in NY, and the better places are very much worth going to. There is good ramen in NY that is quite descent (it's very popular right now), very good BBQ, you name it really.

Drinking can also be quite cheap there, if you do it right. Beer can be bought at any corner store, which are everywhere, and a lot of bars have happy hour specials and stuff.

I'll be there for Rock The Bells as well, so maybe we can meet up at some point, though I'll be with a bunch of friends.