usa :: new york :: general

Analyst

I live about 5.5 hours away from the city.

I'd rather drive than fly.

I'm thinking of staying around White Plains or whatever and taking the train to the city i.e. I don't wanna park my car in the city.

Are there any train stations that has cheap (or free) and safe parking?

Paying 100 bucks for overnight parking is fucking ridiculous in NYC.

not free to park at white plains train station. in fact, pretty expensive.

I am going to NYC in Jan with my boyfriend, and we were trying to figure out where to stay. We just booked the Soho Grand......we are hoping it's a good location and hotel. Does anyone have any great hotels they think would be better? We are also looking for some cool bars to hit up as well.

lol.

you need a park+thermals and layers.

what the fuck is the difference anyways?

Parka=Coat.

Unless you are talking a heavy ass fishtail.

i'd still wear thermals under that thing.

and the weather changes in December all the time, it can be storming and -5 or 25 degrees.

• 2 weeks later...

Heading to NY for a couple of weeks at the beginning of December with family and friends. A few of us want to check out some local live music whilst we're there, does anyone have any recommendations other than the Bowery Ballroom and The Bitter End?

Also, any comments or tips about those two places would be greatly appreciated.

If you like Jazz (which you should, because it's awesome) there are tons of venues here in the city that have live jazz daily.

http://searchandrestore.com/

Check that site out, while you're here. It's a calendar of events going on at a bunch of different jazz venues.

Other non-jazz stuff:

The Knitting Factory in Brooklyn. Check their site for shows.

Webster Hall. More of a dance scene but occasionally has other types of music.

For really local stuff there's places like Sullivan Hall that usually has live events on the weekends I think?

• 2 weeks later...

For Japanese book stores, there are two that are pretty close to each other you should check out. Kinokuniya by Bryant Park is really cool...Lots of magazines (including Lightning, Free&Easy, etc.), books, music, manga, etc. as well as stationary/pens/pencils and cool toys...and there's a little cafe on the top floor. Then a few blocks away on 45th street (off 6th Ave I believe) there's Book Off...which I like because there's a lot of used books, magazines, and music and video games...I've found some amazing and some hard to find music for dirt cheap. A huge manga section in the basement with a dollar section of used manga, if you're into that. They have American stuff as well as Japanese.

Hope I helped..

flying to NY tomorrow. how much do i have to layer? i have a pea coat, but don't want to use it everyday. how will jacket +sleeveless hoodie +sweatert + button down + long sleeve + t-shirt do?

im from california, so my winter-wear is far from extensive

It was below freezing today and snowed yesterday. Supposed to be a little warmer this week but expect to get some serious run with that Pea Coat. It is BRICK out!!! (Moved from SF 2 Months ago...)

I'm going to be in NYC for the first two weeks of Feb. Do the high-end clothing stores stay well-stocked all year round, or will the selection be shitty at that point? Will S/S 11 stock be on shelves? I'm mainly interested in picking up some Dior and Balenciaga jeans, but it'd be nice to get some other pieces, too.

Hi! I'm a 22 year old Swedenbased musicproducer/dj and I'll be heading to NY for 3 months soon. I'll be studying electronic music production at Dubspot (http://www.dubspot.com/) during this time. My course start the 1st of February...

Looking for a cheap couch/bed in a openminded apartment, my budget is 600-800 USD / monthly..

PM me for more info!

• 2 weeks later...